Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Firefighters Grant

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of the Detroit Fire Department receiving a SAFER Grant to hire something like 70-90 firefighters. I had read that after the massive "fire storm" of this past year in September, where something like 80+ homes were destroyed or damaged by fires in one day, that the city was going to again apply for a SAFER Grant to hire firefighters, after having been denied last year. I was't sure if anyone has heard either yes or no or how long it would be before they have an answer? Thank for any info, I would greatly appreciate it as I am hoping to have the opportunity to get on the job there.

Thanks again and be safe,
    Andrew

Don't hold your breath while waiting to apply!
    While they may have applied for a SAFER grant , the odds are low that it will get funded and even lower that it would be to hire that many positions.

In Statistics class the professor called that " A snowballs chance in Hello"

Comment

If it was this past September's firestorm then they would have missed the deadline since it was Sep 17th for the 2010 app period. If they did apply for the 2010 they would have had to go after the open/laid off positions first and if funded they'd be rehiring FFs that were let go, not new positions. That would have to be a follow up application in the 2011 SAFER, and in that case they'd owe 100% of the salaries in the 3rd year. The rehire is no matching at all for 2 years, no 3rd year required. I don't see the economy in Detroit turning around quickly enough to keep the rehires on after the fed money dries up, let alone taking on any new position salaries. Same reason that so many cities turned down 2009 SAFER awards they were in line for. While I write and fund the bejesus out of SAFER apps for our clients I still believe employment is still a local concern when it comes to long-term solutions for public safety agencies.

Otherwise as my previously posting friend alluded to, things are still going to go to Hello in a Handbasketo...
      Brian P. Vickers
      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
      www.helpmewithgrants.com
      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

I thought Detroit hired back all of the members that were laid off some time ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyboyfire View Post
          I thought Detroit hired back all of the members that were laid off some time ago?
          If thats the case then probably even smaller chance of getting funding as they have to fully fund positions from year three on.

Comment

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of the Detroit Fire Department receiving a SAFER Grant to hire something like 70-90 firefighters. I had read that after the massive "fire storm" of this past year in September, where something like 80+ homes were destroyed or damaged by fires in one day, that the city was going to again apply for a SAFER Grant to hire firefighters, after having been denied last year. I was't sure if anyone has heard either yes or no or how long it would be before they have an answer? Thank for any info, I would greatly appreciate it as I am hoping to have the opportunity to get on the job there.

Thanks again and be safe,
            Andrew
            per the commish the SAFER grant has prerequisites 1 being firefighters need to be laid off already. Safer is money to bring back guys that are laid off not for new hires. Rumor mill says it will be around 3 years for the next people to start in the firehouse after the next application process and the now 6 month training academy.
            Jerry Stewart
            Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
            Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
            [email protected]
            (313) 732 7377
            Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Comment

SAFER does not require FFs to be laid off already, just a commit date to be laid off in the application. Had that last year on 2 that picked up awards, in Sep when we did the apps they had 12/31 as the layoff date based on prior year's budgets but both used a lot less OT than expected in the last quarter so they kept the positions on. Explained to DHS and award still approved. They're not going to require someone to lay off positions if things work out that the money is still there to keep them working longer. Apps are done at the time submitted, conditions change afterwards and if the layoffs can be delayed it's no biggie. They'd rather see the jobs kept as long as possible but unless the money is still going to be there and the department can't certify that they will have to do the layoffs then the award goes away.
              Brian P. Vickers
              CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
              FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
              www.helpmewithgrants.com
              www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
                per the commish the SAFER grant has prerequisites 1 being firefighters need to be laid off already. Safer is money to bring back guys that are laid off not for new hires. Rumor mill says it will be around 3 years for the next people to start in the firehouse after the next application process and the now 6 month training academy.
                3 years? are they planning to close companies, this seems like a long time between this past class and the next projected class, not the news I was hoping for...but I do appreciate the info detroitfire. thanks.

Comment

3 years? are they planning to close companies, this seems like a long time between this past class and the next projected class, not the news I was hoping for...but I do appreciate the info detroitfire. thanks.
                  No problem man. Well they always talk about closing companies and then nothing ever comes of it but... over the last id say 6 months they have been rotating 2 companies 1 east and 1 west open every 2 days closed the next 2 so they are trying to do something downtown. Apps are supposed to come out soon (hopefully) and from there however long the process will take is just speculation... rumor of the talks is three years you will be in the firehouse if you are hired off the next list. PM me for any other info all interested parties
                  Jerry Stewart
                  Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
                  Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
                  [email protected]
                  (313) 732 7377
                  Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Comment

Is there any decision with the up coming fiscal year of hiring/layoffs/closures or if the next class will be made up of city employees? Thanks.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X