Training Facility Grants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Facility Grants

If a department wanted to build a new training facility (classroom, training tower, etc.) and was looking for grant assistance, are there any grants out there to support this? What about if it was done in collaboration with surrounding departments in our county? Thanks for any feedback/ideas!

This was exactly the question I was going to ask! We have been throwing around the idea of a few surrounding dept putting in for a Regional Grant for a training facility (burn facility). We didn't know if this could be funded through the AFG Regional frant or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy171 View Post
      This was exactly the question I was going to ask! We have been throwing around the idea of a few surrounding dept putting in for a Regional Grant for a training facility (burn facility). We didn't know if this could be funded through the AFG Regional frant or not.

Will not get funded under AFG !
      per the PG.
      Only minor incidental building improvements in support of funded activities, ie electrical work to install a compressor or exhaust system, plumbing work to install sprinkler systems, or minor modifications to allow installation of funded equipment.

There are some programs that might fund bricks & mortar type projects such as USDA rural infrastructure initiative . The money there usually goes to the state and then they decide how to dole it out.
      Last edited by islandfire03; 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM. Reason: added sentence

Comment

And that is why people need to read the Program Guidance before they ever sit down to try and plan something like this. A burn trailer emphasizing interagency cooperation and mutual aid sharing would work for one department to go after.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

I have always found look to you local banks and local business's, a lot of them have foundations and love to help found these types of thing, also your utilities specially the gas side are more then willing to talk. Biggest problem is, this in not a one shop stop propostion you are going to have to manage several differnet grants.

Comment

Which State are you in? If your in KY, there are training facility grants from time to time. We received one last year. Although, they are limited (last years were $1,000,000 for ten grants) and I do not believe they would cover a classroom. If your planning a TF in a different area than your station property then, like another said, you can check with local business and see if there is an old office trailer you can make a classroom next to the TF. Also a grant (and most likely any other funding) would require the FD to own the propoerty the TF will be lcoated on.

Comment

I know it wouldn't work under AFG. I was curious about other grants that might be out there. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Local/private is about the only way to go besides USDA if that's even an option for someone in your area if your department isn't eligible themselves. Private foundations (especially ones attached to for-profit companies) tend to lean more towards brick and mortar projects because the effects are more long-term, especially since it's long-term advertising for the for-profit side.
                Brian P. Vickers
                CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                www.helpmewithgrants.com
                www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse