Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ktb9780
    replied
    They are at it again. Found a 2010 SAFER award # today for 24 FF ( $1.25 mil). These guys are having a really good year this year; they also have an 1199a award # for their 2010 AFG vehicle for 2 engines at once for $700K.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Ah, links were yesterday then. Found 4 last night with 1 first timer that got the email this morning also.

Leave a comment:

• ktb9780
    replied
    Originally posted by BC79er View Post
    With email or just the Update link?
    Both email dated 1/7/11 and update link

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    With email or just the Update link?

Leave a comment:

• ktb9780
    replied
    Found a new first timer SAFER update 1199a this morning that was not there yesterday. Hiring for $650K.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Man, long time no progress on this one, but just found a one for 7 new positions and another one for 2 new positions. Latter is a 1st timer, Update with no email yet so must have posted today.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    supposed to be 3 SAFER and 67 AFG on Friday.

Leave a comment:

• BCCB
    replied
    I heard of a department receiving list of Q's today. Don't know when a possible award date will be.

Leave a comment:

• wtfd2940
    replied
    Received a congressional phone call today for our SAFER hiring grant. I wasn't there to take the call but I would assume they are going to start any day now.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    They did a software update last week and that was supposed to fix a SAFER award management module or something along those lines. They were going to try to hit at least 1 round before the end of the year. Just depended on how quickly everyone got the questions back to them. Was a very slow process last year with the rehires and layoff prevention awards since sometimes the cities turned down the money. The wording about the emergency drop of the award got the other unions in many places against each other since if someone accepts and then has a massive economic issue they have to lay off from every city department, not just target the FD. Cops, streets, parks, etc all had massive fits over that in a few places and said city can't take the award. So they didn't. Might be more of the same this year in a lot of areas.

Leave a comment:

• wtfd2940
    replied
    Any word on when they may start awarding the SAFER grants?

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    NJ has been so business unfriendly for so long it's taken a while to hit harder on the public employees because they kept raising property taxes to cover everything. But with no jobs, not as many want/can live there, so property tax idea doesn't hold water for long. NJ is the only state that bills for work done out of state. I have to pay a fee every year if I want to be able to bill client there.

Overall problem is too many buying hamburgers today that no one can pay for Tuesday, or even within a few years. But if it gets votes why not give away more than the local economy can handle. If taxes are kept down the demands on raising pay go down, pensions funding demands grow normally instead of at exponential rates. They used the same thing down here for a long time, city paid squat while on the job with the promise of a huge pension. Couldn't fund it as needed so found themselves $1bil in the hole if all the eligible retirements happened across all city departments. Smart mayor fixed that wagon, and before anyone jumps up and down it was a Dem with business experience fixing things. That's why I like the email about how one party is all lawyers that have no real life experience except blaming others and making others pay for it, and the other is all businesspeople and those that have had real jobs that preach self-responsibility. Some exceptions on the Dem side like Ed Rendell (fixed a lot in Philly and PA) and Bill White (fmr Houston Mayor that fixed a lot) and some on the Rep side that are way out there for any party, but that's why I actually think before I vote on whose plans are actually going to fix things instead of make them worse. Can only spend so long taking other people's money...

Longer soap box than needed on average for this thread but it's all related in the grand scheme of things.

Leave a comment:

• LeatherneckFF
    replied
    Jersey City, NJ

Yes its a little over that 100 now, the governer here in NJ is causing alot of people to not even think twice about retiring. I'm sure you can find alot of info by googling Chris Christie (our gov), he is really taking it hard to the teachers, police and fire unions! Our 2 biggest cities are laying off cops and firemen, Newark and Jersey city. Newark already laid off 167 police and enough firefighter retired to not cause any layoffs. Jersey City is in the same boat they want to layoff 82 police but cant touch the FD since they are so short on manpower as it is!

Leave a comment:

• WJVaughn
    replied
    over 100 cashed out in a year? Going to make one heck of a recruit class.

Leave a comment:

• LeatherneckFF
    replied
    Thats great news! Hopefully the grant for Jersey City Dept of Fire and Emergency Services goes through this time! The department is severly understaffed as a result of over 100 retirements in the last year, and not to mention we have over 20 veterans on the list waiting! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X