Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islandfire03
    replied
    From the looks of their website , they don't have a whole lot of needs. already gotten PPE communications, Packs from past grants.

Leave a comment:

• MaximI
    replied
    Kurt is right as well as several more of you. 70 grand is way too much $$ for the project. There's excellent used equipment out there for a fraction of that cost. Not to mention, there are A LOT of current Fire Act Grants written for LESS than a TOTAL of $70,000.00 that would benefit some very deserving small departments. Not that Firefighter fitness is not important, because it is. But the AFA people awarding this type of money shows me something's missing in this process! Looks to me like Extrication Tools, Air-Pacs, Gear, Thermal Imagers, & even Fire Engines are not too important anymore.
    It's great though! We'll have a bunch of healthy & fit firefighters with no equipment.
    Just my 2 cents...

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    Differences in approach. I don't bring coulda, woulda, shoulda, maybe stuff to council. For every grant you fill out how many are you successful with? I take them this is what was successful and this is our match/portion and were it's coming from. They don't like it they can find someone else to run the place.

You get a $100000 grant and can't come up with the last $5k or $10k from other sources? You're not trying very hard. EVERY grant source likes to be the last $ (key guy) in. Getting the same guy to put up the FIRST $5k of a $100k project. That's much more difficult.

And as above, there are truckloads of commercial surplus exercise equipment coming out of DOD weekly. If you FFP/FEPP state forester is broken the state surplus office can get for you (you'll have to negotiate a payment for processing the paperwork/getting it moved).

Leave a comment:

• ktb9780
    replied
    $25K could easily be for physicals, immmunizations etc. of that with 43 members at +$500 each. I too see both sides o fthis coin here and agree with most of the points rasied by each group but, bottom line of this lesson is quite simple. The applciations development shodlbe comprehensive in nature and it was not because obvioulsy not all the hom.ework was done here. As BC79er pointed out the equipment can't be put at the YMCA and I would seriously question requesting equipment without a pre-designed and appoved place to workout. Bottom line here is the shoud return the unused dollar and revisit this "solution" once they have those other concerns worked out.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    According to their website they have 13 career and 30 call/volunteer members.
    They show 4 ambulances, 2 engines , a quint and a chiefs buggy for apparatus.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Depends on what you get, commercial gym grade treadmills and other aerobic exercise machines run around $8-10k each. After all, if you want something to last better to buy the industrial grade stuff so it makes it 8-10 years instead of 1. I can see having 3-4 machines like that if you have 30-40 people participating in the exercise program, otherwise some would never get the chance to workout on one. Happens to me at the Y and they have a boatload. Defeats the purpose of the exercise program if people can't exercise. Now what should have been vetted in Peer Review was how many machines compared to how many people they have. Some of these awards land on PR and Tech Review to reduce in amount/scope. It's not this department's fault they gave them $70k, everyone here says ask for a little more in quantity price than needed, but DHS should scale back when appropriate.

Of course another thought is that no one could be mentioning that they have physicals or something else in the application that the reporter didn't mention. Even though we always get all of the information from the media when it involves the fire service...

Leave a comment:

• peak85
    replied
    I am from a small career dept in PA, and we just completed a fitness center within our station. It is used by FD & PD and consists of state of the art commercial grade equipment. The total cost of construction and equipment was just under 23K. So I say very greedy vs. needy.

ChiefKN gold plated treadmills wrapped with 1 carat diamonds.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I think that the OP's original question was about how this money would be used when some departments have no ppe and scba.

I have to say, that $70k for workout equipment seems a bit excessive in light of what other departments in the US are working with.

Believe me, I believe in providing opportunities to make firefighters healthier, but $70k?

I didn't know they made gold-plated treadmills.
    Thank you KN;
    That was the primary point I was getting at. As long as there are Firefighters risking their lives to protect their communities without the basic needs, Should tax dollars be spent on obvious "wants, that in reality they cant even be bothered to follow through on. If they can't think of any other genuine need in basic equipment then maybe they shouldn't be asking for frivolous "wants.

I am not using "them" as an individual term. There have been many awards given over the years that just make you scratch your head and wonder why.

This is not to say that FF health isn't a real requirement to be capable of doing our jobs. Just that should 70k worth of exercise equipment be in the purview of this grant program.

There are many departments in this country that would sell their first born child to have a 70k/ year budget.

If they want exercise equipment there is plenty of it [truckloads] available for free through federal excess property dept. check with your states FEEP co-ordinator.

OK end of my personal rant. :-}

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    I think that the OP's original question was about how this money would be used when some departments have no ppe and scba.

I have to say, that $70k for workout equipment seems a bit excessive in light of what other departments in the US are working with.

Believe me, I believe in providing opportunities to make firefighters healthier, but $70k?

I didn't know they made gold-plated treadmills.

Leave a comment:

• dnfire49
    replied
    My department was awarded 1st round and I had everything spent by April 1st. My philosophy is that if you make a request for money be prepared to be told yes and spend it. It does not do any good to request it if you plan on sitting around until the last minute to spend it. If what you are requesting truly is a "need" and not just a "want" this is not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    They're not the only ones with Round 1 money unspent. Quite a few just finishing evaluations and recommendations on bids now. So much red tape in spending Uncle Sam's money some of the municipally tied FDs get stuck in it real bad and it takes forever to make improvements even with semi-free money.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    While I can see both sides of this issue, the underlying problem is that before you apply for a grant you need your "I"s crossed and "T"s dotted.

If you're going to spend money that your board budgets you, it's wise to make sure they approve that grant project BEFORE you submit it. What the chief apparently did was encumbered his governing board with an expense they didn't approve in hopes of slipping it through, after they were committed. Not the best way to get things done.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Village of Medina Fire Department Medina NY Operations and Safety $108,229.00 Equipment ($18,000) 1/29/2010

Leave a comment:

• rands1
    replied
    If I'm reading this right, they were awarded this grant last January. They are just now talking about what to do with the money? By the time they do all of the paper work and take the Chief off as the point of contact, their POP will be over and they will end up with nothing. I wonder what they wrote for their 6 month grant update?

Leave a comment:

• SLY4420
    replied
    Most interesting to me is how this grant was awarded back in Round 1 and nothing has been decided as of yet?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X