Physicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physicals

Does anyone have any info on what all you have to have for your physicals for that truck grants???

Would like to bring this back to the top.

For all you that was lucky enough to get a vehicle awards, what are you doing about the physical requirements?

Is there a set of requirements out there that tells you what is needed?

I've looked at NFPA 1852, I don't see anything that states items for driving physical, but I may have missed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

call your dhs rep

I would call you region rep they will direct you best on this subject. Have them put it in email form so you have a paper trail. Here is what I got from my rep.

Everyone who will be driving this truck must have a physical per NFPA 1582. This is a much more extensive physical that even what is required for CDL. Only the driver(s) of the new vehicle need to have NFPA 1582 physicals. The new standard for FY 2011 has not been approved yet so as of today, drivers should meet the 1582 standard.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by MVFD64 View Post
        Does anyone have any info on what all you have to have for your physicals for that truck grants???
        Reading off my quote from a company familiar with NFPA 1582. We got awarded an 09 grant and are currently getting the physicals done.

Cardiac stress test
        Complete H&P
        UA/Dip
        Audiogram
        Chest X-ray
        EKG
        Pulmonary function/spirometry
        CBC
        Chem 23
        PSA
        Vision w Ishihara color test
        fitness and Performance
        PPD
        5 panel drug test

Not a medical expert and don't know what half this is but thats whats on our list. All total about 600 dollars from this company per person per year.

Comment

physical

Not sure where you are at but medcompass.com in Minnesota has a traveling squad that will do them for around $250. Shoot them an email.

Comment

Alright,
            I might be going crazy, but for some reason i cannot find the specific requirement for the physicals in the program guidance anymore. All I find is the minimums are:

"For the FY 2009 program year, vehicle grantees will be required to certify that they have in place, or that they will adopt policies and procedures that comply with Chapter 6 of NFPA 1500 Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program. Specifically, the SOPs should require at a minimum: 1) all occupants of the grantee’s apparatus to use seatbelts or restraints and 2) all drivers of the grantee’s apparatus adhere to all traffic signs, signals, and laws."

-2009 AFG gudance, pg 15

So we just need seatblet use and traffic law adherence SOP/Enforcement?

My head hurts....again.

Comment

250? Thats cheaper than just our bloodwork. I have sent them a request.

Just got word, they don't do it here. MN, ND,SD, WI, and IA is their coverage area.
              Last edited by LVFD301; 03-09-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geefireman View Post
                Not sure where you are at but medcompass.com in Minnesota has a traveling squad that will do them for around $250. Shoot them an email.
                $250?? What language to they speak? Everything go to India/China/____?

A CDL physical + blood work runs more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCFire09 View Post
                  Alright,
                  I might be going crazy, but for some reason i cannot find the specific requirement for the physicals in the program guidance anymore. All I find is the minimums are:

"For the FY 2009 program year, vehicle grantees will be required to certify that they have in place, or that they will adopt policies and procedures that comply with Chapter 6 of NFPA 1500 Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program. Specifically, the SOPs should require at a minimum: 1) all occupants of the grantee’s apparatus to use seatbelts or restraints and 2) all drivers of the grantee’s apparatus adhere to all traffic signs, signals, and laws."

-2009 AFG gudance, pg 15

So we just need seatblet use and traffic law adherence SOP/Enforcement?

My head hurts....again.
                  I'm pretty certain that the requirements for the physicals come out of NFPA 1002. No one is very happy about it, but it seems as though we're stuck. If you find the actual chapter please post.

Comment

NFPA 1002 says your vehicle operators have to comply with NFPA 1001 - its at the begining of each vehicle type chapter.

NFPA 1001 4.1(3) says you have to comply with the medical requirements of NFPA 1582.

Then the headaches start. And yes, FEMA does realize exactly what they are asking of us. Try getting those physicals for 250 a pop....

And yes, any tobacco use is a failure. Smoking, chewing, using it as a poultice, etc.

Comment

FYI starting in 2011 it's dropping to just the basic CDL physical...
                      Brian P. Vickers
                      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                      www.helpmewithgrants.com
                      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                        Wow that's great news. 2nd best of the year for FG (after getting the questions).

Got a reference Brian?

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                          So Brian, you saying the 2011 AFG program or in the year 2011?

Comment

Officially....no. Have to wait until the PG comes out to have a "real" document to mention. But of course our newsletter subscribers will get the rundown here shortly of the changes to come.

Since Hines replied same time as I did, to answer his question it's for the 2011 AFG so 2010s still need to use the 2010 PG and make it full NFPA compliant unless they start to allow appeals in mid-stream.
                            Last edited by BC79er; 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM. Reason: answering hines...
                            Brian P. Vickers
                            CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                            FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                            www.helpmewithgrants.com
                            www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

My department was awarded a grant this year to replace our brush truck. We are just now realizing this requirement of the grant. There is NO WAY we will be able to afford annual physicals for all of our drivers (17). Is there any chance of using grant funds to pay for the physicals?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X