Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heard a new rumor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heard a new rumor

    last night about how apparatus is going to be taken out of next years AFG process. Not sure where this person heard it but it does make me wonder after seeing all of the money in 09 being moved over to Operations and Safety.
    Any of you in the know seen anything on this?

  • #2
    Originally posted by WJVaughn View Post
    last night about how apparatus is going to be taken out of next years AFG process. Not sure where this person heard it but it does make me wonder after seeing all of the money in 09 being moved over to Operations and Safety.
    Any of you in the know seen anything on this?
    I wouldn't see how this would be possible. There are so many requests for vehicles that far exceed the available funds, it would be completely inpractical to disallow vehicles. However, stranger things have happened.

    Comment


    • #3
      I haven't heard anything about that, but I feel that it will not happen as well. There is no guarantee that 25% of the funds will be awarded for vehicles. Under the PG no more than 25% goes towards vehicles, so it can be less. Even though $13 million was diverted to Ops from vehicles seems high; in the end vehicle awards accounted for 23% of the appropriation.

      Even though I would prefer all of the funding go towards each catergory, I would rather see the AFG award all of the funds regardless which catergory it goes to vs. not spending all of the funds such as the previous year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hope not

        I hope not but wouldn't be surpirsed, look how they screwed up SAFER and made it a hand out rather than a hand up! Want to stimulate the ecconomy put workers to work building ladders, hose, air packs, fire trucks etc... Just my opinion

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WJVaughn View Post
          last night about how apparatus is going to be taken out of next years AFG process. Not sure where this person heard it but it does make me wonder after seeing all of the money in 09 being moved over to Operations and Safety.
          Any of you in the know seen anything on this?
          Vehicles are still in the AFG for 2011.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll give odds the entire thing is now dead. A balanced budget is the new order of business in DC (or dang sure better be). Fed grants going away.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by neiowa View Post
              I'll give odds the entire thing is now dead. A balanced budget is the new order of business in DC (or dang sure better be). Fed grants going away.
              Why now? There hasn't been a balanced budget since Clinton left office.

              Comment


              • #8
                Tea Party

                Tea Party will have some influence.
                "There's no such thing as a bad day,
                Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Casco18 View Post
                  Tea Party will have some influence.
                  Do you honestly believe that a few newbies will all of a sudden make the federal government change it's ways? The newcomers will get ensconced in their new offices on the hill and hire all the same staffers who really are the source of power in DC.

                  Then they will become lured into all the perks of the job. Special health care plans that nobody else gets, private barber, health clubs in-house, plenty of payback dinners with the folks who dumped millions of dollars into getting them elected.

                  Call me a cynic, but I don't buy into the great change of the new world order!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by neiowa View Post
                    I'll give odds the entire thing is now dead. A balanced budget is the new order of business in DC (or dang sure better be). Fed grants going away.
                    I would be shocked if that happened. AFG is one of the few federal programs that actually work (at least in my opinion). I'm sure any of us can testify that this program has made our jurisdictions (and others, by means of mutual aid) safer.

                    Many of the supporters of this program are Republican. Congressman/Senator-elect Blunt from Missouri has been a supporter of this program for a number of years. Many of the articles Mike is so kind to post about our department have him in them, he's visited a number of times to see the equipment, and we make sure to keep him apprised of our successes and the benefits of them.

                    What a lot of it will come down to is us, as the people benefitting, making sure they know how much benefit there is to this program and how much support it deserves from them as our elected representatives.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                      I would be shocked if that happened. AFG is one of the few federal programs that actually work (at least in my opinion). I'm sure any of us can testify that this program has made our jurisdictions (and others, by means of mutual aid) safer.

                      Many of the supporters of this program are Republican. Congressman/Senator-elect Blunt from Missouri has been a supporter of this program for a number of years. Many of the articles Mike is so kind to post about our department have him in them, he's visited a number of times to see the equipment, and we make sure to keep him apprised of our successes and the benefits of them.

                      What a lot of it will come down to is us, as the people benefitting, making sure they know how much benefit there is to this program and how much support it deserves from them as our elected representatives.
                      Good points. There would be too much political flak nationally for all federal grants to be eliminated. It's not going to happen.

                      AFG, SAFER, FP&S, and FSC aren't perfect, but they're darn good and they have helped. I'd be glad to entertain anyone from Congress who would come to my county and see that EVERY fire department here has acquired modern PPE & SCBA through AFG.
                      “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                      ― Hunter S. Thompson

                      Comment

                      300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                      Collapse

                      Upper 300x250

                      Collapse

                      Taboola

                      Collapse

                      Leader

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X