Conflict of INterest Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict of INterest Question

I am fully aware of the conflict of interest section of the guidelines but there is a question that is bugging me and I really do not know what to do.

Many vendors of the equipment we are awarded a grant for are actually employees of the State Fire Commission, which handles all state training, records, instructor classes, props, etc.

Since they are employees of the fire commission do they fall under the conflict of interest guidelines?

Are they employees of the Fire Commission because they're Fire Instructors as another part of their life, or are they required to be instructor certified since they have to provide training on the equipment they sell?

Either way don't see it being an issue because the conflict of interest wording was intended to prevent the same person from writing the grant and then writing the spec on top of selling the equipment/vehicle to the department. As long as they aren't the ones writing the grant and handling the bid process there's no conflict.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
      Are they employees of the Fire Commission because they're Fire Instructors as another part of their life, or are they required to be instructor certified since they have to provide training on the equipment they sell?

Either way don't see it being an issue because the conflict of interest wording was intended to prevent the same person from writing the grant and then writing the spec on top of selling the equipment/vehicle to the department. As long as they aren't the ones writing the grant and handling the bid process there's no conflict.
      They are instructors, board members and other management staff.

I just don't what to get into a gray area that could raise some flags.

Comment

Nah, as long as they aren't the ones creating a recommended spec for all departments to purchase from all is well. That's the same condition in most areas, especially with so many salespeople being responders also. As long as the sales life and responder life are separate there's no conflict.
        Brian P. Vickers
        CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
        FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
        www.helpmewithgrants.com
        www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

It is great having you back on the forums Brian.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X