Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAFER and Explorer Posts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SAFER and Explorer Posts

    I have a friend that hit me up with a question I really didn't know how to handle: Can a department request bunker gear through SAFER for an Explorer program under R&R?

    I initially told him now, as SAFER isn't for equipment, AFG is. However, he told me that a regional AFG rep told him that he could. The reasoning he used was that Explorer gear can't be purchased through AFG, and though you can't buy gear with a staffing or volunteer FF R&R grant through SAFER, explorer posts are different because it's strictly recruiting.

    I don't know that I buy that, but I thought I'd ask the experts. Plus, if that's the case, I may be adjusting my SAFER project.

  • #2
    Buying bunker gear for Explorers is a waste of money anyway. Why tie up grant money that could actually be put to good use?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
    sigpic
    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
      Buying bunker gear for Explorers is a waste of money anyway. Why tie up grant money that could actually be put to good use?
      That depends on the post. Many of our vollies come from our Explorer post. It's definitely our best recruitment tool. This department may be much the same way as theirs progresses.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
        That depends on the post. Many of our vollies come from our Explorer post. It's definitely our best recruitment tool. This department may be much the same way as theirs progresses.
        So? Vollies may need bunker gear: Explorers don't. Bunker gear is designed for interior structural firefighting -- an activity Explorers are prohibited from performing. Why waste money providing them with gear they don't need?
        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
        sigpic
        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
          So? Vollies may need bunker gear: Explorers don't. Bunker gear is designed for interior structural firefighting -- an activity Explorers are prohibited from performing. Why waste money providing them with gear they don't need?
          Explorers are allowed to participate in operations after the fire has been deemed controlled, as well as live-fire training following NFPA 1403 in an approved training center (http://www.learning-for-life.com/exp...ire/index.html).

          What would you have them wear in those situations? A reflective vest with "Explorer" on the back?

          Our Explorers recieve the same training our firefighters do. One is attending our in-house FF I and II class and will be certified (assuming he passes the test) when he turns 18 in a few months. They operate as support personnel and are instructed to watch, listen, and learn on the fireground. If we're not busting tail, I often put them by the command post with me and show them what I'm looking at and explaining things as I go, so they learn how fire behaves. The last few have joined with more training and knowledge than most of our senior firefighters had in their first few years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Vollies *MAY* need turnouts?

            Turnouts are designed only for interior operations?

            I am learning all sorts of new stuff.

            Catch - did Rex make that statement? I have not heard
            of it being allowed, and would ask a SAFER specialist through
            the help desk. It could be very interesting.

            Comment


            • #7
              From page 18 of the guidance:

              "Examples of initiatives that may receive funding include, but are not limited to the following:

              Explorer, cadet, and mentoring programs;"

              And from page 19:

              "As stated above, personal protective clothing may be funded for the newly recruited firefighters, but personal protective equipment for other types of members or existing members is not eligible."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                Catch - did Rex make that statement? I have not heard of it being allowed, and would ask a SAFER specialist through
                the help desk. It could be very interesting.
                That's who told him. I was a bit taken aback when he told me Rex was his source, and then intrigued.

                Comment

                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                Collapse

                Upper 300x250

                Collapse

                Taboola

                Collapse

                Leader

                Collapse
                Working...
                X