X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mwtetreault View Post
    old 5 year program = Hand up
    new 2 year program = Hand out
    Exactly my point Mark. The way the rehire program is set up It's no different than handing out welfare checks for a 2 year time frame. and then they will all be back in the same place. This is not going to fix the underlying issues of cities and towns being in a position to no longer afford these positions.
    Falling tax base = cuts across the board for everyone. Urban areas are getting hit harder in the old manufacturing states as jobs go offshore and leave forever.

Comment

• What's amusing with the change in program is that so many said they couldn't afford the old way, and many of the same say they can't afford the new way either. Mainly because in the more urban areas they're getting flak from the other employee unions about the layoffs they have to face while the FD gets grant money to keep their jobs.

Ain't nothing worse to screw up a good family relationship like free money...
      Brian P. Vickers
      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
      www.helpmewithgrants.com
      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

• Originally posted by k3twpfire View Post
        Thanks for the heads up on the R&R 1199As Brian, found 2 1199As for different departments I helped with.
        The SAFER master strikes again!

Comment

• Safer R&R 10Qs are out

Comment

• Looks like they dropped some 1199As on Friday based on the email dates. Was out at OCS so wasn't checking, plus no peeps here so didn't think they did anything.
            Brian P. Vickers
            CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
            FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
            www.helpmewithgrants.com
            www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

• more money for SAFER

I see our fearless leader has again proposed more money for SAFER whil cutting AFG. For a democrat he seems a little out of touch with the needs of the fire service.

Comment

I see our fearless leader has again proposed more money for SAFER whil cutting AFG. For a democrat he seems a little out of touch with the needs of the fire service.
                I just spoke with a guy who watched as a neighboring department announced its award to rehire 3 FFs that had been laid off. This was during a " publically televised town hall meeting" and they were asking if the town would accept accept the grant award. The town council accepted the award but not without first stating t"on the record" that "when the grant money is gone, we will be firing those hired back again".

Dumb rules, beget dumb responses! This is why grant programs with good intentions, get flushed down the toilet.
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

• Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
                  I just spoke with a guy who watched as a neighboring department announced its award to rehire 3 FFs that had been laid off. This was during a " publically televised town hall meeting" and they were asking if the town would accept accept the grant award. The town council accepted the award but not without first stating t"on the record" that "when the grant money is gone, we will be firing those hired back again".

Dumb rules, beget dumb responses! This is why grant programs with good intentions, get flushed down the toilet.
                  But you're missing the point Kurt: The three called back to work will have 2 years more seniority when they get laid off after the SAFER funding runs out. That means that maybe some old dog might retire and they get to keep a position during that 2 years.

That was sarcasm if you didn't notice :-}

Comment

• Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                    But you're missing the point Kurt: The three called back to work will have 2 years more seniority when they get laid off after the SAFER funding runs out. That means that maybe some old dog might retire and they get to keep a position during that 2 years.

That was sarcasm if you didn't notice :-}
                    .....and at some point I have also learned that soon pigs will be able to fly! LOL!
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

• February 16, 2011 – Overcoming long odds, fire fighters nationwide scored a significant victory when the U.S. House of Representatives voted 318-113 to reject massive cuts to fire fighter grants.

Under H.R. 1 -- House legislation to continue funding the federal government – the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant program would have been completely eliminated, and the Assistance to Firefighters (FIRE Act) grants would have been cut by more than 20 percent.

Recognizing the threat to fire fighter safety, Representative Bill Pascrell (D-NJ) offered an amendment to restore funding for the two programs. The amendment passed February 16 with a large bipartisan majority.
                      Kurt Bradley

Comment

• Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
                        February 16, 2011 – Overcoming long odds, fire fighters nationwide scored a significant victory when the U.S. House of Representatives voted 318-113 to reject massive cuts to fire fighter grants.

Under H.R. 1 -- House legislation to continue funding the federal government – the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant program would have been completely eliminated, and the Assistance to Firefighters (FIRE Act) grants would have been cut by more than 20 percent.

Recognizing the threat to fire fighter safety, Representative Bill Pascrell (D-NJ) offered an amendment to restore funding for the two programs. The amendment passed February 16 with a large bipartisan majority.
                        Maybe we should post all the one's that vote no and start making phone call and express our feelings

Comment

• Originally posted by chief1120 View Post
                          Maybe we should post all the one's that vote no and start making phone call and express our feelings
                          Uh, oh I feel a rant coming on......too late! We witnessed the effects of voter apathy several years ago when the fire service failed to respond and "get out the vote" and we lost Curt Weldon who was one of AFGs champions.

Since then, the AFG program has been progressively stripped of funding that orginally was appropriated to be $1 billion per year; the legislation just proposed last week was $800 million shy of that mark.

I hope that the First Responder community recognize that they, and their families and friends, represent a collectively very large and vocal voice and they need to kick start this current Congress and politicians into recognizing that without the local First Responder community, lawlessness, crime and chaos will surely soon follow.

The blue lines and red lines need to unite together and speak collectively towards that end. I fear that this country is headed for third world type public safety and for those who have never ventured past our own country's borders, that is a frightening scenario. Why do you think so many third world citizens try to immigrate here? Contrary to what many believe, it is not the money; it is the safety and security that our "freedom" offers but, that safety and security does not come without a price.

This may be heresy on my part but I personally would gladly support a local property tax increase of $100 per year as long as I am assured that it goes to the First Responder community needs.
                          Kurt Bradley

Comment

• Any new Hiring

Has anyone been awarded safer for new hiring? The only thing I have seen is some R&R and welfare for the cities?
                            Mark

Comment

Has anyone been awarded safer for new hiring? The only thing I have seen is some R&R and welfare for the cities?
                              Mark
                              I have 2 with questions and 1199a posted but they have not been awarded yet Mark.
                              Kurt Bradley

Comment

Mark
                                I know of one with the 1199 but no further action.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X