X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mwtetreault
    replied
    more money for SAFER

I see our fearless leader has again proposed more money for SAFER whil cutting AFG. For a democrat he seems a little out of touch with the needs of the fire service.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Looks like they dropped some 1199As on Friday based on the email dates. Was out at OCS so wasn't checking, plus no peeps here so didn't think they did anything.

Leave a comment:

• k3twpfire
    replied
    Safer R&R 10Qs are out

Leave a comment:

• SLY4420
    replied
    Originally posted by k3twpfire View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the R&R 1199As Brian, found 2 1199As for different departments I helped with.
    The SAFER master strikes again!

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    What's amusing with the change in program is that so many said they couldn't afford the old way, and many of the same say they can't afford the new way either. Mainly because in the more urban areas they're getting flak from the other employee unions about the layoffs they have to face while the FD gets grant money to keep their jobs.

Ain't nothing worse to screw up a good family relationship like free money...

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Originally posted by mwtetreault View Post
    old 5 year program = Hand up
    new 2 year program = Hand out
    Exactly my point Mark. The way the rehire program is set up It's no different than handing out welfare checks for a 2 year time frame. and then they will all be back in the same place. This is not going to fix the underlying issues of cities and towns being in a position to no longer afford these positions.
    Falling tax base = cuts across the board for everyone. Urban areas are getting hit harder in the old manufacturing states as jobs go offshore and leave forever.

Leave a comment:

• k3twpfire
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up on the R&R 1199As Brian, found 2 1199As for different departments I helped with.

Leave a comment:

• mwtetreault
    replied
    Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
    for two years until this funding runs out, Then what?
    Safer is a short term band aid to proper funding mechanisms being put in place by the cities & towns.
    Similar to what happened with the COPS program a few years back. Once the funding went away so did the positions.
    old 5 year program = Hand up
    new 2 year program = Hand out

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    R&R 1199As are dropping...

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    for two years until this funding runs out, Then what?
    Safer is a short term band aid to proper funding mechanisms being put in place by the cities & towns.
    Similar to what happened with the COPS program a few years back. Once the funding went away so did the positions.

Leave a comment:

• bfd1205
    replied
    congressional call

Just got the word that East St. Louis Illinois is getting their 22 FFs back on friday.

Leave a comment:

• ktb9780
    replied
    Client just got the 14 q's for a $1.3 million SAFER at 3:15PM. Woo, hoo!

Leave a comment:

• octhefirefool
    replied
    After 5 years of no awards, we recieved an email from AFG stating our grant was favorably reviewed, 10 (actually 14 I think) questions attached. I checked and sure enough the 1199 was there. I know alot of people do not like the SAFER program but I think our department is in a great position for this grant!

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    They aim for rehiring/layoff prevention first, then additional positions, then R&R, but because some of the hiring end up not taking the money they circle around a bit. It's just like AFG, they mix things up between Ops, Vehicles, and Regionals so all the same aren't coming out at once. Same as the geographic mix in awards, they aim to not have all one area in an announcement.

Leave a comment:

• ktb9780
    replied
    Originally posted by ffp20 View Post
    would that suggest the end of the hiring questions and 1199 update requests soon?
    Certainly not.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X