No announcement yet.

2010 safer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then I guess my question boils down to what is the difference between pay and a stipend.

My gut is telling me if you get a set fee for the call, no matter how long it lasts, or a set fee for each training you are required to attend, then it is a stipend.

If you get houly it is paid.

The second department I mentioned insists they are volunteer, due to the low amount of pay (minimum wage for a new firefighter) and because they pay 1099.

Comment

In my opinion--hourly wage for station duty would be part-time, whether on a 1099 or W-2. Fixed dollar for a run or training without regard to the time involved would be paid-on-call.

LVFD--possible retention project for you might be to add some life and accident benefit, especially short term disability payments, to the state minimum if those are real numbers. The difference in cost from what you have to real livable income should be an eligible SAFER expense and a real benefit to your members and their families. Getting the first 4 years funded will allow time to figure out how to budget/fundraise specifically for that one item. Not a little thing, but more affordable than most would think. Just a thought!!

earl

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
        In my opinion--hourly wage for station duty would be part-time, whether on a 1099 or W-2. Fixed dollar for a run or training without regard to the time involved would be paid-on-call.

LVFD--possible retention project for you might be to add some life and accident benefit, especially short term disability payments, to the state minimum if those are real numbers. The difference in cost from what you have to real livable income should be an eligible SAFER expense and a real benefit to your members and their families. Getting the first 4 years funded will allow time to figure out how to budget/fundraise specifically for that one item. Not a little thing, but more affordable than most would think. Just a thought!!

earl
        That is something we are looking at. This time I am NOT going for a large regional, maybe
        just a couple of departments. Trying to get everyone on the same page, information from everyone, etc, was like herding cats, and I am simply not going to do it again.

13 departments was way too much.

IMHO on the other, if you are hourly in any way, then you are part time. If all you get is a set fee every call or training, no matter how long, than it is a stipend. I just wish I knew for sure what FEMA says, and it is tough getting an answer from them also.

Comment

For Safer can 3 fire departments some how work together for a R&R grant to maybe help our chances of getting funded due to more bang for the buck? If so how would it work or how should I present it to SAFER?

Comment

interesting to note in this years PG:
            a rehire is only 2 years and no requirement to maintain the position after. yet a new hire is two plus one year on your tax $$ plus have to maintain hire levels if there are retirements etc..
            Highest priorities are rehiring laid off or soon to be laid off career positions.
            Short term fixes for bankrupt cities & towns.

Comment

Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post
              For Safer can 3 fire departments some how work together for a R&R grant to maybe help our chances of getting funded due to more bang for the buck? If so how would it work or how should I present it to SAFER?
              Yes in the PG it says a regional R+R approach to benefit more than one dept can be done.
              I'll find the page #

Page 13 paragraph "H" cant cut & paste from pdf
              Last edited by islandfire03; 08-17-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Thank you I must have missed it

Comment

here's the part about Regional Requests from the Program Guidance:

h. Regional Requests
                  Requests for recruitment and/or retention activities having a regional impact (i.e., an impact beyond the immediate boundaries of the applicant’s first-due area) will receive a higher competitive advantage than applications benefitting only one applicant. An applicant may apply for support of both a regional initiative and its Department’s internal needs on one application.

Please note: Only Recruitment and Retention of Volunteer Firefighter Activities qualify for regional project requests. The Hiring of Firefighters Activity is not eligible to be requested as a regional project.
                  Believed by many to be the best-administered homeland security grant in the country, the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program provides an accessible competitive opportunity for fire departments and non-affiliated EMS agencies across the US to get funding for a wide range of operations and safety, vehicles, and regional communications projects.

Comment

Ideas for SAFER for Voluteer Fire Department

I know that it is probably late....but i am looking for some ideas for SAFER for a small voluteer fire department. This is the 1st time we have thought about this. We have about 30 members and have less than 100 calls a year. All of our members are Firefighter I&II. Any ideas are helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU1 View Post
                      I know that it is probably late....but i am looking for some ideas for SAFER for a small voluteer fire department. This is the 1st time we have thought about this. We have about 30 members and have less than 100 calls a year. All of our members are Firefighter I&II. Any ideas are helpful.
                      To decide on what ideas there are, you first need to know what issues the department is experiencing. Is the department having a recruitment and/or retention issue? The only way to answer these questions is to survey current and past members. Once you determine the why's then the solutions can be found to correct the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU1 View Post
                        What are your issues in recruiting and retention?

How do you KNOW these are the issues?

How will money fix those issues?

What kind of turnout do you have on calls, and what do you need to satisfy NFPA?

There are hundreds of things you can do with a SAFER grant, but without those
                        answers it is hard to say what ones to use.

Without those answers, you are probably not going to be successful.

Comment

You need to address these items in the order listed below. Also review and respond to each of the items on page 26 of the PGD (program guidance document) found at http://www.firegrantsupport.com/docs...ERGuidance.pdf

The Narrative Statement (project description) for the Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Activity must include the following:

* A statement that describes how the applicant will use the grant funds. The project description should include the following: how the recruitment of new volunteer firefighters and/or retention of current volunteer firefighters within the department or organization will meet identified operational needs; a description of the specific benefit these firefighters will provide for the fire department(s) or community; a description of the recruitment and/or retention problems or issues the department has identified; how the activities being requested address those identified needs; specifics about the recruitment and/or retention plan; and, if the application includes a regional request, specify which of the activities are for the regional request and which activities are exclusive to the host applicant. Your description should also include whether you are seeking to comply with NFPA 1710 or 1720 as identified in the current SAFER Program Guidance.

* A statement regarding how the community and current firefighters (or geographic area of concern for an eligible organization) are at risk without the needed firefighters, and to what extent that risk will be reduced if the applicant is awarded.

* An explanation of the applicant’s inability to address the need without Federal financial assistance.

* If you were unable to fully address this information in question 14 of the Request Information section of your application, please complete your response regarding how the applicant will ensure, to the extent possible, that they will seek, recruit, and hire members of racial and ethnic minority groups and women to increase their ranks within their department. This should include an explanation of the efforts your organization has instituted and how successful those efforts have been.

Warren
                          The opinions stated herein are those of the author and in no way shape or form reflect the opinions of any organization(s) that I am in any way affiliated with unless otherwise indicated.

Comment

We are an all volunteer fire department. 92 square miles. aobut 100 calls a year. Does any one have a SAFER narrative to hire 1 firefighter, fulltime that i can review and see if it could work for us??

Comment

Originally posted by jsmoser View Post
                              We are an all volunteer fire department. 92 square miles. aobut 100 calls a year. Does any one have a SAFER narrative to hire 1 firefighter, fulltime that i can review and see if it could work for us??
                              JS: just like the R&R requests, you will have to demonstrate how you fail to comply with NFPA 1710/1720 and why your proposed project (i.e., hiring 1 firefighter) will bring your department into compliance.

You'll need a good justification as to why 1 firefighter will help you meet some aspect of NFPA 1710/1720, OSHA 1910.134, or at least 4 qualified firefighters on the first out apparatus.

-dave

Comment

And after you get through all those hoops - can you fund the firefighter when the grant is over as per required?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X