More military advice for Brian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As was referred to in another thread.

I know that your weather in Katy will definitely, definitely have you climatized for Fort L.W.

Be sure an let us know what your starting weight was and ends up as.

Oh, and how many average push ups it takes to get your mail. (Make sure not to give your address out to the other recruits or your libel to get mail from them as a joke to increase your numbers.)
    Last edited by jam24u; 07-26-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I've been watching the weight and the waist, I seemed to get stuck around 230+ for a while but then realized the belly button measurement dropped 3 inches from 40 at MEPS to the current 37 and now I'm down around 221. I want to see if I can get to under the 215 mark before I go. I'll be very surprised if I get below 205 but will be happy at anything under 215. Last time I was that weight was when the BMI was around 4% body fat while managing the gym in college, 14 years ago...

I'm sure the Mrs will have my daughter writing every other day if not every day. Lots of pushups in my future....but they'll be happy pushups.
      Brian P. Vickers
      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
      www.helpmewithgrants.com
      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

RE locks: 1st lesson I remember from Sam. A lock is not secured until you pull on it to verify it is latched. Applys for guard duty, as Squad leader inspecting, and as a troop. I always used key lock with key on dog tag chain. quicker than a combination lock.

Stop at a good gun shop and ask about AR15/M16 cleaning equipment some great compact cleaning kits available now. I think Sam is issuing better stuff now but at basic???

Comment

[QUOTE=bigMike105;1192036]I don't remember needing anything that wasn't provided when we cleaned weapons. If you absolutely need them, Im sure the px will have them. I think we got a trip weekly, probably on Sunday. Speaking of which, Basic was probably the last time I went to church regularly. 1 hour of peace made a difference every week.[/QUOT
          Last edited by dfd701; 07-30-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Brian I just got back from 3 days at FLW getting eldest girl child set up. Be happy you have a guaranteed room. on-base housing is non existent and rental property is scarce. Lucked up and found an apartment close to post. of course it was on the 3rd floor as my bum knee will attest

Comment

Something tells me it won't be a Tempurpedic or SleepNumber for me though, no matter what floor I'm on.

I wish we could go key locks but all I'm hearing is combination locks. Lucked out while food shopping and found a matched set of combo locks with the same combo so won't have to memorize 2 different numbers while I'm there if I lose one. Reminds me have to pick up 2 bags of Halls tomorrow at Sam's Club, and a boatload of stamps. See if I can't get me out of some fire watch shifts...
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.helpmewithgrants.com
              www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Brian what we did with the beds is used the pillow cover to sleep under. We left the bed made. When we got up all we had to do was straighten it up. Also we used blousing rubbers under the blankets to tighten them up. You can buy them in an army navy store or px. Also when I was there some people didn't have sneakers so they had to run in combat boots until they could get to the px in about a week. I would highly suggest taking them. As far as anything else I would pretty much only take bathroom supplies. You might want to also take shoe shining supplies and brass cleaning supplies. The boots will need polished. You might need to clean the brass on your uniform.

Comment

Recruit SGT told me when he went through Benning they checked for people sleeping on the covers, not using their bar of soap to keep the tray clean, and that sort of thing to make sure everyone was actually using their stuff and putting it back the right way. Was going to wear the sneakers I've been running in now, mostly plain. Not going to bother with shampoo either. Supposedly the PX trip is on Day 1 now of reception so shopping won't be an issue. I hope....T-minus 5 days....
                  Brian P. Vickers
                  www.helpmewithgrants.com
                  www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Make sure you give me a call if you have any time off post so I can come down and see you.

Comment

Originally posted by chip5018 View Post
                      Brian what we did with the beds is used the pillow cover to sleep under. We left the bed made. When we got up all we had to do was straighten it up. Also we used blousing rubbers under the blankets to tighten them up. You can buy them in an army navy store or px. Also when I was there some people didn't have sneakers so they had to run in combat boots until they could get to the px in about a week. I would highly suggest taking them. As far as anything else I would pretty much only take bathroom supplies. You might want to also take shoe shining supplies and brass cleaning supplies. The boots will need polished. You might need to clean the brass on your uniform.
                      Wow blousing rubbers being used in my dorm would have brought a raging DI straight into my face. Never wore anything but class A uniform shoes or combat boots in basic training; when did they start allowing you to use "running shoes". HHHHMMMHH, I can't recall taking time to change into running shoes on a battlefield. Guess I am showing my age here though.LOL!
                      Kurt Bradley
                      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

New PT came out on July 1 and lots more concentration on injury prevention during BCT, AIT, and PT overall since injuries are expensive to any employer. Far as I can tell PT itself is running shoes, everything else is combat boots.

Will let you know if they open the cages and let us loose Mike. Will probably spend most of any free time on the phone to home but if I can be outside the fence I won't miss that chance either.
                        Brian P. Vickers
                        www.helpmewithgrants.com
                        www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Good luck Brian. I think you'll need both locks right off the bat. I used one for the locker itself, the second is for the personals drawer inside. Unless things have changed.......

Thank you for volunteering for service during this difficult time.

Comment

So is tomorrow the Big Day? If not tomorrow it has got to be Monday. Are the butterflies building?

All the best Brian, you have group of strong supporters behind you.

Thank You for this.....

Comment

One last thing. Keep a notebook or a diary of everything you see or hear that's humorous. I only remember a third of all the goofy crap we did/saw/were told.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNeBRc7W7s

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...