Should 2 firefighters date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should 2 firefighters date?

I like a LT from my fire department, but I am not sure if I should pursue it and ask him out...I am not quite sure if firefighters should date, especially new members and Lt's, so I figured I would get some advice. I have known him for four years, if that has anything to do with the situation....Please leave me your advice...Thanks...Confused in NY...

I don't necessarily think it's wrong to date someone else from your fire department............ BUT

You should not be dating/in a relationship with a supervisor. That is never a good idea.

I personally have dated a co-worker (not a supervisor), but it is hard. You both have to agree from the beginning that the relationship cannot interfere with your work relationship. You always have to remember that regardless of what happens between you two, you must still be able to work together.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Comment

Is this a paid or Volunteer department?

It is a bad idea to date someone who may have to discipline you at some time.

On Volunteer departments we have some married couples and others have dated. Though it can still get ugly if things go bad.
      Remember,

If you don't respond.....who will

IACOJ EMS Bureau Member
      IACOJ Member

Comment

It all depends on if you can be friends before you get serious...
        If you are friends before anything goes serious you might be able to work together alot better than if you just jumped into a relationship without getting to know them.. My company does not allow inter-company dating so i am s.o.l..
        Ryan Cortazzo
        Junior Fire Fighter
        FDCB
        Company 36
        www.cornwallfire.com

Comment

I am Lt and I wouldn't want any of my men trying to date me
          IACOJ Membership 2002
          {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

It would make for a very boring relationship you couldn't come home and ask how your significant others day was if your both doing the same job
            Plus break up's tend to spill over into the workplace especiallay if your dating your supervisor than you feel like your being unfairly singled out because of the way things ended

Just my 10 cents
            Engine 101
            The Pride of Old Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU8-8xSvMU

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Seagrave7/

Comment

Sticky situation, potentially. One thing you have going for you is the common interest. I met Heather because we're both FF/EMT's, though different departments in different areas. I disagree about the management thing, though. Why should this guy be denied the chance at your love simply because he's further up the ladder? If he's a good officer, business & personal lives can stay separate without hostilities occurring. The difficulty could come with things not working out, as you still work together. As said, though, a good officer will manage these issues.

Add another $0.02 to the pot

~Kevin
              FF/Paramedic
              ~Kevin
              Firefighter/Paramedic
              --^v--^v--^v--^v--
              Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
              Dennis Miller

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250