Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Disaster Generalists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster Generalists

What is the deal with this they give you 2 days notice before training.

Allow me to be the first to say......What???
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Originally posted by PENNDEL
      What is the deal with this they give you 2 days notice before training.
      Fema Flexible :-)

Are you sure about immediate training? My info was that training will be held in almost all 50 states where there is enough for a class in May and June. Most of the training staff has already been assigned to their states. There might be some pilot training going on in Florida this month.

I'm more puzzled that the generalists aren't being assigned to regions like the previous DAE's.

This is no guarantee for work either unless the "big one" hits. They are still deploying existing DAE's to all current disasters.
      Last edited by StillLearning; 04-07-2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Called FEMA today to set up a training date and they wanted to schedule me for April 9th - April 15th. Almost impossible to do with 1 1/2 business days notice. When asked if there would be another training class they said possibly starting the week of April 17th only if there are enough people to hold one. I am from PA and have to go to Ft. Indiantown Gap CAP headquarters. I have no problem going and doing this but alittle bit of notice would be nice. Hopefully when I call back there are enough people for the second class. I thought that maybe they had there Sh*t together but I was obviously wrong.

Comment

Worse yet --- received the letter called and was told to be in AL -- April 17 thru 22 --- given a EMW number to book my travel and was also told to call ADD support --- called ADD support and they didnt have a clue what I was talking about --- after 30 minutes on hald they said they would call. Good ole FEMA
          ?

Comment

All you had to do w/ ADD was change your status to availible. Don't bother talking to a person there, they are a bunch of temps that don't know thier job from a hole in the ground. The gentleman I talked to @ FEMA Workforce Deployment (i think) was Trey. This dude actually knew what he was talking about and has almost all of the answers you could need. Me and a buddy leave sunday for Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA for a fun filled week of classes and FEMA mumbo jumbo. I can't wait. I will keep people posted on here w/ a day to day summary.

It took National Travel almost 45 minutes today to find a hotel within 20 miles of the training center that was FEMA certified. What a hassle.

Comment

a fun filled week of classes and FEMA mumbo jumbo. I can't wait. I will keep people posted on here w/ a day to day summary.

So, they're bringing you back and your complaining??

Just remember, once you get in FEMA's system you are no longer a firefighter to them, you are a disaster assistance employee. As one of my supervisors once told me in Florida. "I don't care where you have been or what you've done, just do what your told. You are no longer on the fire department here"

Just remember, FEMA treats employees like mushrooms, they keep you in the dark! :-)
              Last edited by StillLearning; 04-11-2006, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Here is a bit of info for you StillLearning: We are not going to be called Disaster Assistance Employee, we will be a permenant group of immediate deployable personnel. Our title is FEMA Disaster Generalist. I am not nor will/have I ever complained about training w/ FEMA. You would have to be stupid to complain about getting $24/hour to sit in a class.

Comment

I wrote that with a little tounge in cheek, your obviously dedicated. It did seem a bit sarcastic. I spent September to Feb. with FEMA, it was some of the most challenging and rewarding work I've done in my life, and sometimes the most frustrating. I think you know what I mean.

The thing is that I managed to stay involved in some areas, and what they are doing right now is not what the plan was 3-4 weeks ago. I'm just like everybody else, staying tuned. And I was just told I was a DAE, not a generalist unless they are renaming everybody that. My biggest problem is being out of leave time at work, I think my FEMA career as a whatever will have to go on hold until I retire.

Comment

The title of our position will change as soon as you have passed the 5 day training course set up in your state. After completion you will be a Disaster Generalist and be able to be deployed within 24/48 hour notice to anywhere in the country. Atleast that is what I have gotten out of talking to FEMA reps. and other former DAE's. I will let everyone know on this forum any pertinent info as I get it while away at training. I will be @ the training in PA from 4-17/4-22. My hope is that is well worth my time and helps us do our jobs better. In New Orleans,, it seemed like nobody actually knew what we were there for, but we did what we could and I feel it helped emensely.(sp?)

Comment

First of all if you like this type of work which it sounds like you do, and can earn a decent wage, I'm happy for you.

My problem with this is simply will that not much will change. Like me, you probably dealt with older DAE's, some good and some bad. While this job gets some good people, it is designed for mainly retirees as supplemental income, or those who are self employed. My issue is that its nice to have people who can deploy in 24-48 hours, but really........who can do this? I know I can't. And then you wonder once you report in 24-48 hours, how long will you wait for an assignment. If your able to take off work or give up a job, be away from your family, and like that type of lifestyle, its for you. I talked to many who were gone from home a long time, and had alot of adjustment both with themselves and family when they returned. I know two who lost their jobs, they told me they simply got caught up in the FEMA thing and made a mistake by not returning back to work.

I just checked the package I got last week, I have been appointed a DAE for a region. It says nothing about a generalist, I'm still filling out forms. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Add

Could someone e-mail me the number to ADD? I lost it Thanks!
                        [email protected]
                        Thanks Again!

Comment

Does any one know if we will be getting paid more money as a disaster generalist?

Comment

OK, here it is....

I have been in training for 2 days now, it seems like a lifetime. All I can say is bring alot of coffee to class with you. FEMA is training all 3000 DAE's that worked during the last 2 hurricane seasons starting with Hurricane IVAN. But only the ones who have passed the criminal background check. As a Disaster Generalist we are trained in CR, IA, and Debris Removal so if need be we could essentially just be deployed to a city/town and start FEMA relief efforts. We are also being trained in ethics, safety, communication, briefly in ICS, teamwork/team building, and FEMA literature. Also once you have passed the training there is a test at the end, you will be a permenant DAE/Disaster Generalist detailed to the Headquarters Cadre in D.C.. Our paygrade has actually dropped a few cents, we will be payed as grade C-3 which is 22.91 an hour. So I have been told, have yet to see anything in writing. When you come for training you will not be paid for travel time, you will be paid for 40 hours @ C-3 grade, your per diem depending on lodging and that is it. They will pay for the hotel and car and gas and the like but nothing else. The Instructors try to make the class as fun aas possible but the information is very dry. FEMA wanted all 3000 DAE's trained and ready by June 1, 2006 but that is an impossible task, so they hope to have 75% trained by then. There are classes in PA, FL, WA, VA, and 2 in MA. The classes will run every Monday - Friday from here til the week of the fourth of july. The final class will be held the week of the July 4, 2006 @ NFA in Emmitsberg, MD. What a way to spend your holiday. I hope this answers most peoples questions, if not just let me know, I will try to get them answered ASAP.

Comment

went there ---- did that --- Atlanta all over --- what a waste of time and taxpyers $
                              ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X