Firehouse.com Mobile Version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firehouse.com Mobile Version?

Hey, Webteam, I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to creating a mobile version of Firehouse.com. With the big increase in the number of people using smartphones these days, I think that a more phone-friendly version of FH.com would be great. It's slow and annoying to browse the full website and the Forums in the regular web format.

Honestly, I never thought I would be the one to advocate this kind of thing (I'm usually slow to adopt new technology), but that was before I got an iPhone. Now I'm noticing that I do a great deal of my web surfing and forum browsing on my phone as opposed to my desktop computer. There must be many others who feel the same way.

Many other popular sites offer a mobile version in addition to their full site. Their mobile sites offer a much smoother and slicker browsing experience when using a phone. I've actually noticed (and maybe this is just me) that my visits to FH.com have decreased significantly since I started using the phone, just because the web site isn't really optimized for mobile browsing.

So what do you think? Is this something that is in the works, or at least being considered? Or does it maybe already exist and I just haven't heard about it yet?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

I'm in full agreement here. If there is anyway to design a mobile version, I think that would be awesome. I have my phone (Android) with me far more than I am able to sit at my computer, and it is a pain to try and sift through the full site on a 4" screen.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

But it would make trolling easier and it would never give us a break from the non hackers.
      Stay Safe
      Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
      - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
      -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
        Hey, Webteam, I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to creating a mobile version of Firehouse.com.
        I'm sure that they have. The issue is, undoubtedly, space for advertising. As in, there isn't much room for it on a mobile forum. If there's no $$$ to be had, there's not likely to be much interest from FH.
        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
        sigpic
        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Hi folks--thank you for the suggestion.

We have explored the idea of a full mobile site, but we are looking at a variety of options, features and what would be most important. That brings up a good point--what would you like to see on the mobile version?

The current website is compatible mobile web browsers and seems to work well for now.

If you have ideas for the future mobile site, let us know.

Thanks,
          Peter Matthews
          Editor-in-Chief, Firehouse.com

Comment

The webteam idiots can't take care of the normal website, and now you want them to do a mobile version???
            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

FWD, when you get a chance, could you please return my call.

Thanks,
              Peter

Comment

Originally posted by FHEditor View Post
                If you have ideas for the future mobile site, let us know.
                It's been a while since I admin'ed a vBulletin forum so I may be misremembering the details...

Doesn't it have the option to let a user select layout templates? The easiest mobile implementation might be to offer a template simplified for viewing on a small screen. (i.e. less fancy formatting, simplified menus, fewer script driven frills, no advertising, etc.)

If such a template isn't already available from vBulletin, it's the sort of thing any programmer with basic php knowledge could modify from the stock template. A slightly more advanced step would be to make displaying the simplified template automagic for anyone hitting the site using a mobile browser.
                "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                sigpic
                The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by FHEditor View Post
                  FWD, when you get a chance, could you please return my call.

Thanks,
                  Peter
                  When you answer all of my previously posed questions in an open, public forum as I have prevously requested numerous times, I will speak with you in private.

Comment

Easy Fella

So let me get this straight...Web-Team puts out an olive branch and FWDbuff tosses it in the shredder.....how juvenile. How about giving it a rest FWDbuff and if your dissatisfied with the site soooooo bad then join the others who have left and quit the bellyaching. Unless your a glutton for punishment.

TURN THE PAGE ALREADY!!
                    Respectfully,
                    Jay Dudley
                    Retired Fire
                    Background Investigator
                    IACOJ-Member
                    Lifetime Member CSFA
                    IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by JayDudley View Post
                      So let me get this straight...Web-Team puts out an olive branch and FWDbuff tosses it in the shredder.....how juvenile. How about giving it a rest FWDbuff and if your dissatisfied with the site soooooo bad then join the others who have left and quit the bellyaching. Unless your a glutton for punishment.

TURN THE PAGE ALREADY!!
                      You took the words out of my mouth, Jay!

FWD - A member of the WT, using his real name, offers to speak to you personally and you refuse to do it? Either call him or quit bitching.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by JayDudley View Post
                        Unless your a glutton for punishment.
                        Oh my god- what are they going to do? Permanently ban me? Oh the horror.

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                        You took the words out of my mouth, Jay!

FWD - A member of the WT, using his real name, offers to speak to you personally and you refuse to do it? Either call him or quit bitching.
                        He called me several months ago- at my request, to discuss the WT's refusal to identify themselves and their fire-service background or lack thereof, and their refusal to discuss their polcies and procedures for discipline/banning/issuing temporary restrictions. This occurred due to several members being unfairly treated by the WT because of that moron scarecrow.....At the time I did not return his message because the issue resolved itself when the members privileges were returned in 24 or 48 hours or less- which lead me to believe at the time that they realized that they were wrong, so I dropped it.

If he has called me in the last several days I have not received a message. But then again my carrier is AT & T so it could very well be floating in cyberspace somewhere.

Comment

Phone Call

That explains it to me although you should change carriers. I do think that you do need to tone it down a bit as it is getting old. I understand the frustration with trying to deal with the many things the Web Team has to deal with......but for Pete's sake "Turn the page ."

Just my two cents....I'm sure others will agree. If you're unhappy then by all means remove yourself from the "Headache" I would.
                          Respectfully,
                          Jay Dudley
                          Retired Fire
                          Background Investigator
                          IACOJ-Member
                          Lifetime Member CSFA
                          IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Hey, I was talking to Peter on the phone at 11:30pm on Sunday night... (regarding the Chief LindCrackHead issue). Seems like a good person that cares. So if he's asking to speak to you, you should.
                            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

FWD,

I've left at least four messages since your initial request for a phone call. I am here if you would like to discuss it further.

Thanks,
                              Peter

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...