Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Overzealous member with inaccurate IP tracker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overzealous member with inaccurate IP tracker

    This is just a warning to others.

    I have recently been reported to the Webteam by shmarleybarlow http://www.firehouse.com//forums/member.php?u=259317 because he thinks that I have multiple accounts. I believe he thinks so because I posted in the same thread as someone else did four years ago that has a similar name. Evidently he runs IP tracker software and he states that our addresses match.

    Watch out for overzealous members with faulty software. They may report you next.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  • #2
    Two things...

    1. It is possible for your IP address to match someone else's, especially if there is a significant time delay between when they were used. IP addresses are often not dedicated to one particular computer or physical address. Someone with an older dialup service is likely to have a different IP address each time he or she connects to the internet. Someone with an always-on broadband connection typically gets a new IP address every so often, which can vary from provider to provider. Someone else in the same general area and with the same ISP can have an address you've recently had.

    2. I used to own and run my own message board based on vBulletin, the same software used here. I know quite a bit about web development and HTML. I can tell you that the only information someone can get about your post is the information sent in HTML tags from the server to your browser, and your IP address is NOT sent along with each post. The IP address used when a message is posted is recorded in the vB database in a record for each post. It is only sent to the browser when someone with an appropriate login (administrator, and maybe moderator, depending on how the privileges are set up) requests it. Now, that being said, it is also possible for someone who lacks the proper credentials to see that information, if they have a software utility that exploits a security flaw in vB. In other words, if they hack in. I don't know what security flaws still exist in vB anymore, but I assume that just with any other software, there are probably still a few ways that it can be hacked into so that someone can see and do things they aren't supposed to.

    It is also possible that your IP address could have been discovered by means that have nothing to do with this message board. For example, if you've ever had an email exchange with that member, your IP address can be easily determined from information hidden in your email. But there is no legitimate way for an ordinary member to get your IP address from your posts here.

    So my final advice is don't worry about it. Having the same IP address today as someone did four years ago proves nothing. And if someone is claiming they can see the IP addresses you're posting from, they're either lying to scare you, or they are doing something inappropriate themselves.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded fishy. I think that he was reaching for excuses because I called him out on reporting me. How did I know it was him? He sent me a snarky message accusing me of having multiple personalities and that I had been reported. That just served to p!ss me off.

      He'll probably report me for dropping his screen name in this thread but that is one banning that I would be happy to serve.
      Last edited by IronsMan53; 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM.
      I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

      One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
      "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
      -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
        Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded fishy. I think that he was reaching for excuses because I called him out on reporting me. How did I know it was him? He sent me a snarky message accusing me of having multiple personalities and that I had been reported. That just served to p!ss me off.

        He'll probably report me for dropping his screen name in this thread but that is one banning that I would be happy to serve.
        Why the charade?

        Better to just say nothing, than take the stage with these melt downs.

        Besides the fact that your IP is the same, if anyone had any doubt, both accounts have identical diction and wording, identical FDNY buff stuff, ect...

        Each person has a unique writing style, the pattern with you're two accounts is very obvious. If you look like a duck, talk like a duck and walk like a duck... but I'm sure it's all a coincidence

        An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
          Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded fishy. I think that he was reaching for excuses because I called him out on reporting me. How did I know it was him? He sent me a snarky message accusing me of having multiple personalities and that I had been reported. That just served to p!ss me off.

          He'll probably report me for dropping his screen name in this thread but that is one banning that I would be happy to serve.
          There's really no point in getting upset about it. I've been accused of being some other people, too. The fact that I've made it painfully obvious on how to confirm my true identity hasn't seemed to have done much to dissuade that accusation from popping up from time to time.

          If someone wants to think something, they're going to think it, and they'll find any excuse to continue believing what they want to believe, no matter how much sense it makes (or doesn't), or whatever. So like I said, there's really no point in getting too upset about it. That's one argument that's pretty easy to avoid.

          Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
          An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.
          Oh...I didn't realize that. That's very interesting. In fact, I'm not even sure if I believe it. Tell you what...Make a believer out of me. Go ahead and post the IP address this message was posted from. Post it right here in public.

          I'll wait with bated breath...
          -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

          The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
            Oh...I didn't realize that. That's very interesting. In fact, I'm not even sure if I believe it. Tell you what...Make a believer out of me. Go ahead and post the IP address this message was posted from. Post it right here in public.

            I'll wait with bated breath...
            I'm not going to spoon feed you this one in order to make you a believer. DO some research, this is nothing new. Looking into what I posted would have saved you the waste of your cute little post.

            Btw, you again?! Your arrogance is only matched by your ignorance. You continue to murder your reputation on this site and you're not even a ff yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
              I'm not going to spoon feed you this one in order to make you a believer. DO some research, this is nothing new. Looking into what I posted would have saved you the waste of your cute little post.

              Btw, you again?! Your arrogance is only matched by your ignorance. You continue to murder your reputation on this site and you're not even a ff yet.
              I'm not asking you to spoon-feed me anything. I'm just asking you to back up your claim. You said obtaining someone's IP address was "painfully easy to get" but apparently it was easier for you to tell me why you weren't going to do it than to actually do it.

              Big surprise.

              Prove me wrong.
              -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

              The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Still not going to spoon feed you

                Nope, I'm not giving into you JR. You want everything handed to you.

                Back it up? lol, if this wasn't such common knowledge and you weren't such an arrogant a s s umer (i.e. wasting time challenging it before actually finding out) I might have humored you. I understand not everyone knows everything.

                Save yourself the embarrassment and look it up before stirring the pot. Once you find out, you can come back here and confirm you were wrong.

                considering the fact you went from....
                Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                I'm not even sure if I believe it.
                to....

                Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                Prove me wrong.
                So now the tables turn, it's your turn to actually find out. I'll wait for the confirmation that you are indeed wrong and your challenge was needless.

                You will not get an answer from me, I won't go around this circle with you again. And no, you'll soon find out that doesn't make me wrong....as you say "BIG SURPRISE"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
                  Nope, I'm not giving into you JR. You want everything handed to you.

                  Back it up? lol, if this wasn't such common knowledge and you weren't such an arrogant a s s umer (i.e. wasting time challenging it before actually finding out) I might have humored you. I understand not everyone knows everything.

                  Save yourself the embarrassment and look it up before stirring the pot. Once you find out, you can come back here and confirm you were wrong.
                  I don't want anything handed to me. It's not like I'm asking you to tell me how to do something. I'm just asking you to prove that YOU can actually do what you claim.

                  And look what up? Seriously, look up what? I already know that IP posts are not sent to the browser unless the user is an administrator, and possibly a moderator. I know that for a fact.

                  That's why I continue to not believe you can post my IP address. I didn't go from that to anything else; I didn't believe you to begin with, and when I asked you to prove me wrong, I still didn't believe you. And I still don't believe you now. And you've done absolutely nothing to change my mind about that. Seriously...you're going to ask me to go prove myself wrong? That is ****ing hilarious. If YOU can't prove me wrong, then we're done, as far as I'm concerned.

                  You had your chance to put me in my place...and you had NOTHING.
                  -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

                  The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
                    Why the charade?

                    Better to just say nothing, than take the stage with these melt downs.

                    Besides the fact that your IP is the same, if anyone had any doubt, both accounts have identical diction and wording, identical FDNY buff stuff, ect...

                    Each person has a unique writing style, the pattern with you're two accounts is very obvious. If you look like a duck, talk like a duck and walk like a duck... but I'm sure it's all a coincidence

                    An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.
                    I'm glad that you're an expert on diction. I am also blessed to know some really great retired FDNY guys and have a great interest and respect for fire service history. But a coincidence is just that... a coincidence. You make baseless, bullsch!t allegations and I will not stand for it. I just want everyone to be warned about you and your BS. You've only been a member here for a few months, yet you are throwing accusations at me???

                    Now go away kid, you bother me.
                    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

                    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
                      I'm glad that you're an expert on diction. I am also blessed to know some really great retired FDNY guys and have a great interest and respect for fire service history. But a coincidence is just that... a coincidence. You make baseless, bullsch!t allegations and I will not stand for it. I just want everyone to be warned about you and your BS. You've only been a member here for a few months, yet you are throwing accusations at me???

                      Now go away kid, you bother me.
                      Kid? lol, says the guy who won't stand for baseless allegations.

                      Save it, you're full of it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
                        Kid? lol, says the guy who won't stand for baseless allegations.

                        Save it, you're full of it.
                        Now you're sending me PM's alluding that you know who I am. Maybe you are the one that is full of it.
                        I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

                        One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                        "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                        -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
                          Evidently he runs IP tracker software and he states that our addresses match.
                          You can't get someone's IP from a post they make on the forum. (The people hosting the site can; people just reading it can't. Some fora record user IPs but very few post them back to the forum unless it's for people with admin level access to read.)
                          Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM.
                          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                          sigpic
                          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
                            An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.
                            But only truly novice users think you can get someone's IP from a post they made on a forum...

                            By all means, dazzle us with your expertise. What IP am I posting from now?
                            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                            sigpic
                            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                              But only truly novice users think you can get someone's IP from a post they made on a forum...

                              By all means, dazzle us with your expertise. What IP am I posting from now?
                              it didnt work on the current post so I went back to a previous one.....130.215.36.61

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X