• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Port Richey Fla--Blaze levels Apartment Building

St. Petersburg Times

Blaze destroys apartment building
    By Times Staff Writer
    Published May 1, 2005

NEW PORT RICHEY - A fire early Saturday destroyed a $480,000 apartment building under construction on Seven Springs Boulevard near Perrine Ranch Road, fire officials reported.

A state trooper noticed flames coming from the three-story building about 2:15 a.m. Firefighters battled the blaze until 3:39 a.m., Pasco County Fire Marshal Larry Whitten said.

The fire charred a billboard about 300 feet away. Flames spread to two nearby power poles. Grass burned across the street. One of the fire engines' tail lights melted.

"We had radiant heat that was really heavy," Whitten said. He said firefighters did well to contain the blaze to the 24-unit building and prevent its spread to other apartment buildings being constructed on the property and to homes across the street.

The fire appears to have started at the south end of the building, Whitten said, but he said investigators had not yet determined its cause.

The apartments, The Columns at Seven Springs, have been under construction for about three months, Whitten said. They are being developed by ECI Capital Inc.

[Last modified April 30, 2005, 23:59:18]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X