Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Paul Police Officer shot and killed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Paul Police Officer shot and killed.

Manhunt Underway after St. Paul Officer Killed

Tip Line
    St. Paul Police have set up a tip line for anyone who has information afbout the shooting or the suspects.

651-266-5820

Watch Live Coverage
    City, state and federal investigators have sealed an area of St. Paul's east to search for a pair of suspects in the overnight killing of an undercover police officer.

Officers are searching an area around 7th and Forest for two suspects they believe are still in the area. Teams were working with canines and heavy weapons support as they searched door-to-door in the area. Officials also asked for aerial support from the National Guard, Police Chief John Harrington said.

Schools in the area have also been locked down.

The first suspect is a black male, 25 to 30 years old, five-foot-seven-inches to five-foot-eight-inches tall. He's described as having very short hair — almost bald while wearing a white shirt with dark sleeves and weight pants with white stripes down the side.

The other suspect is black male, 25 to 30 years old, six-feet-tall, 160 to 180 pounds with a short afro, light-colored shirt, blue jeans and light-are the colored tense shoes.

The victim, 41-year-old Sergeant Gerry Vick, was shot outside Eric's bar. Vick was reporrtedly in the area working undercover on a prostitution case — possibly involving underage victims.

Vick was working with another officer when the two encountered two men in an alley and Vick was shot. He said the second officer returned gunfire, but didn't say if either suspect was hit. Witnesses said they had heard 10 to 12 gunshots.

Vick had been on the police force since 1989.

Harrington said "This is a grim day. A day that the lights of one of the great heroes of this department have gone out. Jerry Vick was absolutely a hero to a lot of us, to all of us and he's missed already. [We] Can't begin to express what this means."

"I don't think that there is a greater tragedy to befall a community then the loss of a police officer," Mayor Randy Kelly said during a news conference. "As mayor...I know I speak for every citizen of St. Paul in expressing our greatest sorrow to Sergeant Vick's family and to his two children."

Vick had received two Medal of Valor commendations: One was awarded in December 1990, for rescuing a child from a burning home. The other was awarded in 1997, after Vick shot and killed an armed suspect at a crime scene.

(Copyright 2005 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse