• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Shop burned down

Fire reignites
    County Fire-Rescue fights blaze at store twice in a day

BY MABEL PEREZ, Staff Writer

Firefighters responded to a fire Friday morning at the J & J Tack Shack, about 10 hours after they had extinguished a fire at the same store.

Marion County Fire-Rescue firefighters were first dispatched to 6760 W. State Road 40 at 11:13 p.m. Thursday, after a passersby saw a blaze. Firefighters extinguished the fire about 30 minutes after they arrived at the scene by using thousands of gallons of water and specialized foam, according to Fire-Rescue officials.

However, at 9:46 a.m. Friday, the building was fully-involved with flames, and firefighters had to put out a second fire.

“Our guys are really good at extinguishing fires,” said Deputy Chief David Cooper, adding that, although fires can rekindle, that is unusual. “We're going to rule out anything we can. . . . But at this time I don't know what caused the fire.”

The State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the fire. A fire dog was brought to the scene on Friday to help investigators gather evidence from the scene. The dog is also trained in detecting hydrocarbons, which are common accelerants.

As firefighters continued to secure the building, several customers crowded around the store and comforted store manager Elaine Hager.

“I have a very strong base of loyal customers who have been shopping with us for years, and I'm anxious to supply them with their needs of hay and feed as soon as possible,” Hager said.

Hager was called out at about 11:30 p.m. by the store's alarm system company.

“I was very surprised. This is devastating. . . . I just don't want people to think we're going out of business,” she said.

According to a Fire-Rescue news release, the 1,500- to 1,800-square-foot commercial warehouse, made of aluminum siding and light-weight steel, held a variety of saddles, bridles, whips, feed and shampoos for horses.

Anyone with information about the fire may call Marion County Fire-Rescue at (352) 694-6667.

Picture of me and my partner getting in on the action yesterday.

MARION COUNTY, Fla. (April 15, 2005) – Firefighters from five Marion County Fire-Rescue (MCFR) stations responded to J & J Tack Shack (6760 West Highway 40) at 9:46 a.m. today, after a fire that originally started Thursday night flared-up.

The 1,500 to 1,800 square foot commercial warehouse made of aluminum siding and light-weight steel housed and sold a variety of saddles, bridles, whips, feed and shampoos for horses.

MCFR firefighters extinguished the original blaze that was reported at 11:13 p.m. on Thursday night in less than 30-minutes, made an “interior” attack fighting the fire from the inside out and meticulously “overhauled” the burned materials – spraying thousands of gallons of water and specialized foam.

Investigators from the Florida State Fire Marshal’s Office and ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) will pin-point the cause of the original fire and flare-up and determine whether embers hidden under a pile of debris rekindled the fire or whether it was restarted by other means.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X