Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utah-Sandy Restaurant Fire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Utah-Sandy Restaurant Fire

    Fire in a Sandy mall restaurant does about $100,000 damage

    Officials believe grease in duct started blaze; sprinklers helped douse flames
    By Pat Reavy
    Deseret Morning News

    SANDY — A fire at a restaurant in a Sandy strip mall caused a big scare Thursday afternoon.

    A Sandy firefighter removes art from a business after a fire in the restaurant next door caused smoke damage Wednesday.

    Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News
    Just after 3 p.m. crews were called to the Ho Ho Gourmet near 8600 South and Highland Drive. Investigators believe grease in a duct in the kitchen caught fire, Sandy Fire Battalion Chief Greg Rynders said.
    A second alarm was immediately called because the fire was at a strip mall. The first-arriving crews saw flames shooting from the duct, Rynders said.
    Fortunately, the sprinklers in the restaurant were working properly, he said. Not only did the sprinklers automatically trigger an alarm that notified emergency dispatchers, but they also gave crews a good start in knocking down the flames, Rynders said.
    About half of the strip mall was evacuated. Early damage estimates to the restaurant are about $100,000. Rynders said the business suffered relatively light fire damage but a lot of smoke and water damage.
    There was at least an inch of water covering the restaurant floor by the time the fire was out, he said.
    The adjacent businesses on each side of the Ho Ho Restaurant suffered some minor smoke damage, Rynders said. But, he noted, all stores, with the exception of the restaurants, were expected to be open again by Thursday evening.
    No one was injured. Crews from Midvale and the Unified Fire Authority assisted Sandy firefighters.
    Rynders said the incident could serve as a reminder to homeowners to have their own air ducts checked, even if it's just the vent for the clothes dryer. Making sure those passages are clear could prevent possible fires from starting in the home, he said.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X