X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manatee Fla--People escape early morning duplex fire

Woman, couple escape morning fire at duplex

HERALD STAFF REPORT

MANATEE - An older woman and a young couple escaped their burning duplex early Thursday morning, authorities said.

When firefighters arrived at about 5:56 a.m. at the duplex in the 8000 block of 43rd Avenue West, all three tenants had escaped unharmed, said Leigh Hollins, Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue's battalion chief.

The fire apparently started in the bedroom of the west unit of the duplex, where the older woman lived, Hollins said. But the blaze burned through most of the duplex's attic, rendering both units uninhabitable. All three residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental but is still under investigation, said George Ellington, Cedar Hammock's fire inspector.

Authorities did not release the names of the residents.

Four fire engines and 18 firefighters responded to the scene, according to a Cedar Hammock news release.

One firefighter received minor injuries when he tried to rescue a cat from the burning rubble and it bit him, Hollins said. He was treated at the scene.

West Manatee Fire Rescue, Manatee County's Sheriff's Office and Emergency Medical Service also assisted.

- Sylvia Lim
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X