St. Petersburg Times--North Pinellas

Car battery blamed for Wal-Mart evacuation
By Times Staff Writer
Published October 31, 2003

LARGO - A leaking car battery left near an air-conditioning vent is the culprit that caused the evacuation of the Largo Wal-Mart late Wednesday. The store at 1111 Missouri Ave. N was evacuated about 10 p.m. after some employees felt some irritation. Firefighters determined that sulfuric acid leaked from the old car battery, said Deputy Chief Jeff Bullock of the Largo Fire Department. Wal-Mart spokeswoman Suzanne Haney said no one was injured or taken to the hospital. She said the store reopened about 11:30 p.m. Haney said Wal-Mart accepts old car batteries at its courtesy desk to be disposed of properly.