2 structure fires keep Amite FD busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 structure fires keep Amite FD busy

Two structure fires occured saturday less than a mile apart in amite city, LA. There were no hydrants in the area. Amite asked for mutual aid from wilmer, Kentwood, Roseland,Independence, Natalbany, and Hillsdale fire departments for tankers. The structure fires were not under control untill 4 and 1/2 hours later. Also, at this time the parish fair was going on less than 3 miles away causing onlookers to block roads.

Darn Onlookers...Keepin us from doing our jobs...Well at least the fire was put out and no one was hurt.
    Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

Isn't that the truth! Take a look at this article from a few months ago:

Couple arrested at fire scene
      Deputies say they interfered with firemen

Matt Williamson
      Enterprise-Journal
      Published Friday, May 02, 2003 1:46 PM CDT

Pike County sheriff’s deputies arrested a Hartwell Road couple Thursday evening for allegedly interfering with firefighters, who were extinguishing a blaze at the couple’s home, and threatening a deputy at the scene.

Eugene Luther Kettle, 45, and Mamie Yvonne Kettle, 32, have been charged with simple assault on a law enforcement officer and disturbing the peace. Mrs. Kettle also faces an additional charge of resisting arrest.

The Kettles were released from the Pike County jail on a recognizance bond, sheriff’s officials said this morning.

Sheriff and fire officials allege that the Kettles got in the way of the firefighters’ job, while some in a crowd of nearly 20 nearby residents that gathered at the scene said that the couple was understandably upset since their house was burning.

“Their house is burning down and they’re getting taken to jail,” one bystander was heard saying at the scene.

According to statements from Summit and Friendship Volunteer firefighters, once fire officials got to the scene, the Kettles said they took too long to respond to the fire at 2117 Hartwell Road. Dispatch records showed that the fire was reported at 5:28 p.m. and firefighters reportedly arrived at 5:42 p.m. The home is about 15 miles from the Summit fire station.

Fire officials told deputies that the Kettles asked them to move their nearly half dozen fire trucks out of the driveway.

Summit Fire Chief Windsor Gay said today that Mr. Kettle had been fighting the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived and was reluctant to leave the house when the firefighters got to the scene. He also said that Mrs. Kettle had tried to block the firefighters’ entrance to the house.

Officials said at the scene that deputy Bennie R. Smith tried to talk to Mrs. Kettle and she backed away and started swearing at him.

He at one point attempted to put handcuffs on Mrs. Kettle, and when he managed to get one cuff on her arm, she allegedly took a swing at the deputy with a closed fist, officials said.

Smith eventually released Mrs. Kettle and called for backup.

Smith wrote in an offense report that Mr. Kettle, upon seeing his wife getting placed in handcuffs, allegedly threatened Smith with a shotgun and later threatened to hit him with a stick.

Nearly a dozen deputies and sheriff’s investigators responded to assist Smith and lawmen took the Kettles into custody.

Smith said at the scene he just wanted to talk to Mrs. Kettle and had no intentions of charging her with any crime.

The damage to the house was apparently minimal, fire officials said, noting that the blaze was confined in a closet between two bedrooms. Gay said the house had some smoke damage.

Firefighters reportedly used about 250 gallons to extinguish fire and and two positive pressure fans to ventilate the house

Comment

There some strange people out there!
        Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
        "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse