Woman rescued from burning building

Staff Report
Last update: 07 August 2003

DAYTONA BEACH -- A woman was rescued from a ground-floor window early Wednesday after a fire broke out in her First Avenue home, officials said.

The fire was reported shortly before 6 a.m. at 221 First Ave. Firefighters arrived to find the woman trying to escape her burning apartment through a window.

City Fire Marshal Lt. Gene Stone said the woman had become disoriented from the smoke of a burning mattress. She refused medical treatment for a cut foot.

The Fire Department requested Red Cross assistance for five residents of the multi-family house who were displaced by the fire.

No other injuries were reported.