Flames erupted at the KFC restaurant in the Lake Washington Crossing shopping center in North Melbourne after a car hit a gas line at the restaurant's drive-in window.

No one was injured in the incident. However, businesses in the shopping center were evacuated as a precaution.

Ronald Shepard, a cook for KFC at 3006 Lake Washington Road, said someone "came through the drive-in and hit the gas line."

"There were sparkles in the main switch box," Shepard said. "There was a lot of fire and the back door was in flames."

Shepard and other workers and customers escaped out the front door.

Restaurant manager Theresa Reeve said she heard a loud hissing sound. "I looked up and saw flames," she said. Reeve immediately ordered everyone to leave the restaurant.