Fire damages Beulah home

From staff reports

An apparent electrical fire gutted a Beulah home on Monday.

Neighbors called in the blaze about 2 p.m. when they noticed smoke, Escambia Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Patrick Grace said. Volunteer and Escambia Fire-Rescue crews from Beulah, Bellview and Ensley found flames shooting out the back windows when they arrived at the home in the 1900 block of Bridlewood Road.

Firefighters, responding to a call that there was someone inside, entered through the front and quickly extinguished the flames, limiting fire damage to two of the four rooms in the house, Grace said.

Searches yielded a dead cat. The house's resident was not home at the time, Grace said.

"It was a very hot fire," Grace said. "The crews worked well together and did a great job in limiting the damage, but there was heavy smoke damage."

State Fire Marshal Thomas Bosco ruled the fire accidental, pointing to the power cord from the window air conditioning unit. Damage was estimated at $50,000.