• Polk County Fla--Skydivers recovering after Mid-Air Collision

Polk Online

Injured skydivers expected to recover

Staff report

Subscribe to the News Chief
    Email a link to this story
    Print a copy of this story
    Post your opinion online

LAKE WALES -- A skydiver hurt in a mid-air collision with another parachutist remained in Lakeland Regional Medical Center with a broken pelvis Sunday, said Betty Kabeller, Florida Skydiving Center owner.

The second skydiver returned to Indiana after receiving treatment for a broken shoulder, Kabeller said. Both skydivers are expected to recover, she said.

The collision was accidental and unrelated to any formation jumping, she added.

The pair collided at 4:45 p.m. Saturday while free jumping at the Lake Wales jump center. Lake Wales firefighters and Paramedic 3 and Paramedic 23 from Lake Wales responded.

The more seriously injured skydiver was airlifted to LRMC about 5 p.m. by LifeNet 5.

A Lake Wales Fire Department official said the collision occurred at an altitude of around 1,000 feet.

Deputy Fire Chief Henry C. Croley said the weather at the time of the accident was "clear with a very light breeze. The wind was probably at two or three mph."

Kabeller declined to identify either jumper. It was unclear whether the second mid-air collision since November would spark an investigation. Two men died Nov. 22 when their parachutes tangled Nov. 22.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X