• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marco Island Fla--Drowning Man Pulled from Pool Survives

Marco Island Eagle

Vacationer saved from drowning in swimming pool

Wednesday, April 23, 2003
    By QUENTIN ROUX, Staff Writer

Vacationers revived a part- time resident after pulling him from the bottom of a swimming pool April 16 at Marco Island's Riverside Club off Bald Eagle Drive.

The man, David Cockfield, 60, was brought to the surface by vacationers Cindy Lopezalles and Michelle McKenzie.

His breathing was shallow, said part-time nurse Kristi Weber who swam over with a number of other swimmers to assist after noticing the commotion.

Once Cockfield had been placed on his side, he coughed up water and began to breathe more easily, Weber said April 22 from her Perrysburg, Ohio, home.

"He was a little purple for a while, though," Weber said, adding that four days after the near-drowning, she'd encountered Cockfield back at the Riverside Club, and that he seemed fine.

Cockfield has since returned to Canada.

Marco Island police and fire personnel responded to the call around 3 p.m., and Officer Larry Burback, along with Officers Michael Fagan and Brian Hughes, administered oxygen before EMS technicians took over.

Cockfield was airlifted to NCH Naples hospital
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

This story reminded me of one of the important factors in injury risk for hotel customers. The fact is that the pools on the territory of the hotels are filled with chemicals at night. This was the standard quick cleanup procedure. But these chemicals can cause allergic reactions and respiratory arrest (especially in the elderly). Now these procedures have been replaced by the use of special robots. It is an ultra efficient way to maintain public pools.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X