Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's burned in Wisconsin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    On my way back from Oshkosh Airventure today i saw a good sized brown plume of smoke coming from a wooded area near the highway.. upon investigation, i discovered a brush fire about 1 acre in size with 2 structures in immediate danger. I found the fire number, called 911, reported the fire, passed on IC to the chief and asked the AC if he needed a hand.. He said yeah, so i dressed out in my wildland gear and grabbed an indian pack and helped out with extinguishment and mopup.

    lol.. i've got more fire ouside of the base while on deployment than on base.. lol

    -Damien

    Comment


    • #32
      -------------
      POWERSLADDER2
      MembersZone Subscriber
      Last edited by POWERSLADDER2; 08-26-2007, 10:03 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        From Firehouse>com Frontpage

        MILWAUKEE --

        Four children were rescued from a house fire Friday morning at Holton Street and North Avenue.
        Milwaukee police Officer Todd Johnson and his partner, Roy Horn, were flagged down to the scene of the burning building.
        At first, they tried to get in the front door but the smoke and heat kept them back.
        While Horn cut his hand trying to find another way in, Johnson raced to the alley where he saw four children leaning out a window gasping for breath.
        "The baby dropped out the window (and) hit the air conditioner on the way down. The father and I were lucky we caught him before he hit the ground," Johnson said.
        Witnesses said Johnson and the father dove to catch the little boy.
        While they got him out of harm's way, firefighters broke through the flames up front and pulled the other three children to safety.
        The children were all 2 to 9 years old.
        The fire itself was put out pretty quickly, WISN 12 News reporter Brendan Conway said.




        Nice job MFD. Jasper, were you in on this one?
        The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
          Nice job MFD. Jasper, were you in on this one?

          No, I wasn't, and they did do a spectacular job. Truck 5 was first due, just by dumb luck, and actually crawled thru fire to get to the kids. Engine 21 arrived shortly there after, and this is the part of the story that is getting no publicity, mostly because of the 'hero cop' angle; the boss on engine 21 suffered burns to his hands that are now being called career ending. 21's extended themselves on their push because the brothers from truck 5 were still operating above the fire. I only put this in here because there has been zero coverage on this part of the story.

          Nothing against the police, but they never entered the structure, and the burned firemen aspect of the story is getting no coverage that I have seen.
          Of course though, I'm sure there are plenty on this forum who think the guys should have waited for a line.

          Comment


          • #35
            I had my first working structure fire last night in Pewaukee. It was a two-story machine shop. I think the upper half was all rooms though. It went pretty well. I was the first in engine and made an attack. Our camera broke though and we couldn't find a wall. The first in Ladder(quint) made an attack on the other side of the building. No one could find the fire so we all just started hitting hot spots. Overall, I thought it went well. Now that I finally got a fire, I know this is the job for me. haha

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by jasper45 View Post
              No, I wasn't, and they did do a spectacular job. Truck 5 was first due, just by dumb luck, and actually crawled thru fire to get to the kids. Engine 21 arrived shortly there after, and this is the part of the story that is getting no publicity, mostly because of the 'hero cop' angle; the boss on engine 21 suffered burns to his hands that are now being called career ending. 21's extended themselves on their push because the brothers from truck 5 were still operating above the fire. I only put this in here because there has been zero coverage on this part of the story.

              Nothing against the police, but they never entered the structure, and the burned firemen aspect of the story is getting no coverage that I have seen.
              Of course though, I'm sure there are plenty on this forum who think the guys should have waited for a line.


              I hope that E-21's boss recovers and can stay on the job. Sounds like the crews did a hell of a job. I concur with the waiting for a line comment and that hindsight is 20/20. What the safety sallies fail to see is that the kids are alive because of the efforts of the truck crew and the truck crew is alive because of the efforts of the engine crew. This is an example of teamwork working and the job getting done.

              In fire school the comment was always made, we will risk a lot to save a lot, a little to save a little. You have kids out of the structure, because it was confirmed, after all the cops were there. It is still part of our job to take those risks to save the other ones still inside, hoseline or not. I would truly hate to see the civilian death statistics if we always waited for a hoseline.

              Anyway, I hope the boss recovers and again great job by the MFD.
              BTW Jasper, are you with a truck or engine company?
              The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by clark918 View Post
                I had my first working structure fire last night in Pewaukee. It was a two-story machine shop. I think the upper half was all rooms though. It went pretty well. I was the first in engine and made an attack. Our camera broke though and we couldn't find a wall. The first in Ladder(quint) made an attack on the other side of the building. No one could find the fire so we all just started hitting hot spots. Overall, I thought it went well. Now that I finally got a fire, I know this is the job for me. haha
                I heard about that one on the Scanner you guys brought in a fair amount of help for that one. Must have been kinda big. What station are you at over there. one of the Guys from Station one is also a member of Ashippun.

                Anywho the only thing we have had out here in a while was a M.A. Call to Oconomowoc Aug 31st for a Bar and an upper Apt that was on fire in Downtown. Other than that is has been very quiet around here.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Runn11 View Post
                  I heard about that one on the Scanner you guys brought in a fair amount of help for that one. Must have been kinda big. What station are you at over there. one of the Guys from Station one is also a member of Ashippun.
                  Yea we had all 3 stations there, Town of Delafield, Sussex, Town of Brookfield, and maybe another one. I'm at station 2 right now, but I'm still a rookie. I was at station 1 for two months and I've been at station 2 for about two. It wasn't that big of a fire. Actually I don't think anyone even saw flames. haha It did burn for sometime though. I'm not exactly sure what happened. After I came out to switch bottles, they sent my crew to an ambulance for rehab. Where exactly is Ashippun? I've never heard of it. I from Milwaukee County though so I don't know a lot of places in that area.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by clark918 View Post
                    Yea we had all 3 stations there, Town of Delafield, Sussex, Town of Brookfield, and maybe another one. I'm at station 2 right now, but I'm still a rookie. I was at station 1 for two months and I've been at station 2 for about two. It wasn't that big of a fire. Actually I don't think anyone even saw flames. haha It did burn for sometime though. I'm not exactly sure what happened. After I came out to switch bottles, they sent my crew to an ambulance for rehab. Where exactly is Ashippun? I've never heard of it. I from Milwaukee County though so I don't know a lot of places in that area.
                    City of Brookfield was on standby at your station according to how it came accross on the scaner. Lt. Brandon Spect From station 1 is our EMS LT. Here in Ashippun. We are about 10 Miles North of Oconomowoc. we are the Township in the South East Corner of Dodge County. We cover all 36 Sections of our town, Parts of North West Waukesha Co., Small Part of North East Jefferson Co., and Some of South West Washington County.
                    Dispatching for us Can be so much fun sometimes. Got to Love Politics! I also Know an Instructor from Station one. All I know his first name is Andy and he teaches at WCTC. He is a frekin awsome teacher and a Really cool guy!
                    Runn11
                    Forum Member
                    Last edited by Runn11; 09-10-2007, 07:46 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Yea I went back to station one for a debriefing after and saw City of Brookfield there. I said I think TOWN of Brookfield was at the fire though.

                      You must be talking about our training chief, Andy Norris. You're right, he's a great guy that knows a lot. I went to MATC, so I never had him, but he's taught me a lot at PFD.

                      I'm guessing I probably won't be seeing you unless something HUGE happens. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with Waukesha County, but you seem a bit far from us. haha

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Andy Norris thats it, thats the guy. Yeah He was my favorite. he would push us hard But he would also make it fun. he would pick on me all the time, but it was all in fun and games.

                        yeah I doubt we would run in to each other at a Fire. thats is quite a distance. Have you run in to LT. Brandon Spect yet???

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Don't think so. He's from Pewaukee? If he is, he must be at station 3. I probably saw him, but didn't get to talk.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=173065&rfi=8

                            Run11, there's info about that fire on there.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Go to class for a few days and miss three fires, geez.

                              Anyway in GB lately there were three fires this week. The latest one was started apparently by a kid playing with a lighter in a balloon frame constructed house. Don't really have the details on the other two, but been a busy week so far. There were a couple fires here and there since my last post, but been awhile since there was a week like this. The fire started by the kid, a rig left the scene of another fire to respond to that one, so a nice back to backer.
                              The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by clark918 View Post
                                Don't think so. He's from Pewaukee? If he is, he must be at station 3. I probably saw him, but didn't get to talk.

                                I think he is station 1 Not 100%sure though

                                But other than that its Been 18 Months since we have had a Fire in our District. so I guess our Fire Prevention program must be paying off.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X