Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Wisconsin governor race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    Andy, we will never agree on this. I can see that clearly. This issue has cost me friends and will likely cost me more but I simply cannot and will not waiver in my struggle against walker and his cronies.

That's unfortunate; I'm a bit more difficult to get rid of! threat or promise, you decide!

It has gotten so ludicrous that I have been called a liberal, leftist, communist, marxist and Union pawn...I guess people don't know me as well as they thought they did.
    That's ok, there is a lot of that going around here, as well.

So you sold your souls to a governor who says **** organized labor, well except for MUNICIPAL fire and police, BUT, if those fire and police are state employees then **** them too.
    That's weird but, I always thought the Wisconsin State Troopers were employees of the state. Did that change? Sheriff deputies are municipal? GMIA CFR is a municipal agency? We didn't sell any of them down the river, unlike the PFFW did with others...just saying...they're all exempt, as well.

BTW...my mom is a member of WEAC, she supports the governor...I guess it's what makes this country great.

It takes more than this for me to "lose" friends...if they're gone over this, they weren't in the first place...I wish you could see my facebook page...lol...I wonder if facebook existed during the Civil War if this is what it would be like...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper 45 View Post
      That's weird but, I always thought the Wisconsin State Troopers were employees of the state. Did that change? Sheriff deputies are municipal? GMIA CFR is a municipal agency? We didn't sell any of them down the river, unlike the PFFW did with others...just saying...they're all exempt, as well.

There are actually 3 State of Wisconsin fire stations staffed with State Employees. The 128th ARW WiANG at GMIAP, the fire department at Dane County Regional Airport covers the WiANG base and the entire airport, and the fire department at Volf Field. All career firefighters that are state employees. Their understanding is they aree not exempt. Are you saying State troopers are exempt?

BTW...my mom is a member of WEAC, she supports the governor...I guess it's what makes this country great.

Why would she support a plan that will cut her own throat?

It takes more than this for me to "lose" friends...if they're gone over this, they weren't in the first place...I wish you could see my facebook page...lol...I wonder if facebook existed during the Civil War if this is what it would be like...lol

Um, I am a member of facebook...
      Stay safe...
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Their understanding is they aree not exempt. Are you saying State troopers are exempt?
        Well, there were four locals that endorsed the governor, with one of them being the State Troopers Association. The wording in the bill, at least to me, exempted all LEO's and firefighters.
        Now maybe they are talking about the pension contribution and healthcare costs, but I was under the impression that those items were not an issue. My impression was that it was the collective bargaining aspect that was of concern. On that issue, they are exempt if they firefighters or LEO's, whether they are state, county or city employees. It's hard to say about the pension contributions, since the president of the PFFW threw all of you guys under the bus for it.

Why would she support a plan that will cut her own throat?
        Well, you'd have to ask her and the other teachers that agree with her. Maybe she just thinks "emeritus" positions are not needed to be a part of collective bargaining, I don't know. There are a surprising number of teachers that agree with the legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper 45 View Post
          Well, there were four locals that endorsed the governor, with one of them being the State Troopers Association. The wording in the bill, at least to me, exempted all LEO's and firefighters.
          Now maybe they are talking about the pension contribution and healthcare costs, but I was under the impression that those items were not an issue. My impression was that it was the collective bargaining aspect that was of concern. On that issue, they are exempt if they firefighters or LEO's, whether they are state, county or city employees. It's hard to say about the pension contributions, since the president of the PFFW threw all of you guys under the bus for it.

Well, you'd have to ask her and the other teachers that agree with her. Maybe she just thinks "emeritus" positions are not needed to be a part of collective bargaining, I don't know. There are a surprising number of teachers that agree with the legislation.

A recent poll puts 77% of voters in opposition to walker's plan.
          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Let me be the one to say what a disgrace the Milwaukee Professional Firefighters, IAFF-Local 215 is, was and will continue to be. They are a borderline scab agency and it would be a complete disgrace to ever allow them to rejoin the PFFW.

We don't need them. We don't want them. We certainly will never need them to stand with us. (not that they would!)

Endorsing scooter for governor? Slamming suburban departments any chance they get, after asking for help? Supporting the takeover and elimination of other union positions in suburban departments? Not a chance in hell I will ever support anything they do. There is no way that I will say one word in defense of any future cuts they will take, because they are going to take more.

No way. They want to stand alone and cut deals for themselves only...let them stand all the way alone... I for one, would be more than happy to show them the door out of the IAFF; they aren't one of us.

As far as I'm concerned, they are trying to take food off my plate and harm my family. I have no use for anyone who does that.

Local 407 member and proud!
            Last edited by PFFW proud; 04-12-2011, 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

It has gotten so ludicrous that I have been called a liberal, leftist, communist, marxist and Union pawn...I guess people don't know me as well as they thought they did.
              Welcome to the club.

It's not so bad.
              They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

And yet here he is again! Lookie now what scooter is up to...Financial Martial Law. the ability to void all elected officials positions in communities that don;t meet his standards. These elected officials will be replaced with appointed Czars who may be public officials or corporate appointees. So much for the democratic process, so much for freedom, so much for representative government.

I would suspect this one may make it all the way to the US Supreme Court if the little dic(k)tator tries to implement it.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/120058874.html

MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker says that a blog story published on Forbes.com about reported planning for a new bill which would force local governments into what the story called, "a financial stress test with an eye towards permitting the governor to take over municipalities that fail to meet with Walker's approval," is not the case.

"No truth to it whatsoever. Absolutely a bogus story," Walker claimed on Newsradio 620 WTMJ's "Midday with Charlie Sykes."

"Absolutely false. The interesting part is that it's false in both contexts. One: There's nobody on my staff, nobody in my administration, I'm certainly not working anything remotely close to that. Secondly, it begins with the fact that he said the next Democratic assault. I'd like to know what the first one was."

Comment

Yep, care to show me where during his campaign he said publicly that he intended to decimate collective bargaining and attack public employee's Unions?

My point? He is a devious, back room, politician and I don't believe a single thing he says. Well, other than finally admitting to a Congressional panel that his Union busting schemes save NO MONEY and have NO EFFECT on the budget.

He is BAD for the state and his plans have done NOTHING but cost the state more money. I find it hysterical that those of you that support his money saving schemes have no problem with him double spending on security for him by hiring Wackenhut security forces. But then again, you did allow him to waste that same amount of money when he was county exec didn't you?
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

He's done a masterful job of being a uniter. That being a unifying force that will force special elections to recall four sitting GOP state senators.

If I were president (or chairman or whatever) of the WI Dem party, I'd be sending Walker a HUGE thank you note.
                      They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Scooter has awakened a sleeping giant. I don't think he counted on the amount of people that would come forward against his dic(K)tatorial style of government.

Can't wait til the recall elections start and I expecially can't wait until his year is up and we can boot his *** out of the governor's mansion.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Yep, care to show me where during his campaign he said publicly that he intended to decimate collective bargaining and attack public employee's Unions?
                          First, collective bargaining is still fully intact for the private sector. Secondly, the bill just clearly defines what can or can't be negotiated. More can be added to it or more can be taken away, at the local level. BTW; read the bill, yet?
                          I do also believe that I mentioned the fact that he was going to go after aspects of collective bargaining last October; it was no surprise to me, except that he exempted police and fire.

The fact is, unions had no plan to make any concessions until he brought the repair bill forward, and you know it. Walker spent the better part of his time as the county exec here fighting the local unions; some of it stupid, some of it legit. The fact is that the unions didn't want to give back their "golden parachute" pensions given out under Ament. I don't really blame them, but it does come with a huge cost to the budget. That is the fact that gets overlooked and is never talked about. The retirees are getting their 750,000 dollar cash payouts when they pension out, independent of their actual pension benefit. The money has to come from somewhere, right? You ever want to compare property tax bills, let me know. It's a tough sell to try and raise taxes more in this county, or city. Especially when this city is doing all it can to drive the remaining business here, out to the suburbs.

He is BAD for the state and his plans have done NOTHING but cost the state more money. I find it hysterical that those of you that support his money saving schemes have no problem with him double spending on security for him by hiring Wackenhut security forces. But then again, you did allow him to waste that same amount of money when he was county exec didn't you?

Obviously you don't really understand the fight that was going on between the county exec and the county unions. Remember Tom Ament, and the pension scandal that had him and a half dozen county supervisors recalled?
                          Some of those pension payouts are worth close to a million dollars, each. That is an indisputable fact. I don't like any double spending, but no politician is going to ever have a 100% satisfactory record. The fact remains that this county and this state are in desperate fiscal positions. I don't want to take any more cuts, or give backs, or anything else. My next door neighbor didn't want to lose 40% of his income, either. My other neighbor, a union employee for Buel, didn't want to lose his job, as well. He had a pretty decent job at that; he's still out of work.

If we think that we are going to get any sympathy from anyone, we're crazy. Is Walker the best guy? He was one of two choices; I think we got the better of the two, you don't. No big deal. Just don't sit there and criticize me for doing what I think is best for my family and friends. Walker has started to create a business climate that I feel will draw more business to this state, unlike Doyle did, or Barrett would have. That's my opinion and I have no problem saying that.

I have several very close, personal friends who are small business owners. All I know about small business is what they tell me. They tell me that life today is far better for their business than it was one year ago. It is purely about taxation.
                          I also think you are overestimating the current state of politics in this state. People are not on the side of the unions. In fact, many people are outright disgusted at the unions, especially local 311.

But whatever; in the end I still respect you, Don. I still value you and your knowledge. Stay safe!
                          Last edited by Jasper 45; 04-20-2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                            He's done a masterful job of being a uniter. That being a unifying force that will force special elections to recall four sitting GOP state senators.

If I were president (or chairman or whatever) of the WI Dem party, I'd be sending Walker a HUGE thank you note.
                            Why, so we can waste more tax money on unneeded elections/recalls? I truly believe people are not understanding the political climate of this state. I really don't.

We had business leaving this state hand over fist. We lost countless movies and corporations because of Madison being unwilling to handout "corporate welfare", which also includes taxation that benefits the average small business owner.
                            If we increase the amount of business and industry in this state, more tax revenue is generated across the board. If we don't, we lose companies like Miller Brewing, Master Lock, Mercury Marine, Pabst, G. Heileman, Allis Chalmers, Rockwell Automation, etc...

I honestly don't know if what we're doing is right. I do know that we were doing wasn't working. Maybe you don't realize that because you're in Southern California, and have things like weather, scenery and major international seaports, no matter what. We don't have that, here. We have things like snow in late April, along with a major city and commerce region directly abutting this state.

Comment

I always find it hard to read comments posted by Walker supporters. I can never figure out how a middle class wisconsin worker can support this crook. Whether you are in a union or not it shouldnt matter, The republican party is not looking out for any of the middle class period. I have been to quite a few rallies in the past few months and its interesting to see the types of people that drive by ****ed off that you are holding a "Recall Walker sign"... Im tired of people pointing the finger at the public sector employees, and saying that it is about time that you guys start paying (insurance and pensions). Ill just use The Dept of Corrections for example. A lot of people dont really have their facts straight with this. DOC Staff NO longer has This So called Free Insurance we lost that years ago. I will admit that we do not pay as much as some folks do, but we pay more then alot of others do. Our Pensions I will admit are pretty good. So i guess Walker -Supporters will think for that Reason that I am living high off the Hog. Understand that the Public sector have been paying more and losing more every year for the past 7 years (DOC). We have not taken any raises or increase in benifits. We have been give furlough Days which has taken about 3% off the top. There have been increases in Health Care. Yes we have kept pensions but so has alot of other people. I had a arguement one day with a electrician. All he could say was that is was wrong that we did contribute to our healthcare. After I corrected him, he told me that we should pay more. He told me that he pays about $1200 a month. Then went on to say that he also makes around $36 an hour.

This just seems so funny to me because DOC staff Officers start out at 14.65 an hour. Far cry from $36. An average DOC SGT. with 10 years is still making under $20 an hour. There is alot of talk about DOC staff making over 100K a year with Overtime and that is true there are a few. You have to remember these guys are also working around 80-90 hours a week. You find me a public sector employee that gets a christmas bonus, company benifets, stock options, or any other private sector benifit. I know it has been hard with alot of the private sector jobs in the past few years. But if the grass is so much greenier then I will ask You to come work a few days in the DOC its all fun and games, i am sure your job isnt either, but at what point time did middle class start fighting with each other...

Comment

QUOTE FROM JASPER:
                                I also think you are overestimating the current state of politics in this state. People are not on the side of the unions. In fact, many people are outright disgusted at the unions, especially local 311.

But remember. There are also alot of people that still strongly support the unions and im thinking that number is alot high then you think....Just my opinion

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X