Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

West Virginia rules of the road for First Responders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Virginia rules of the road for First Responders

This is my first post. I've come to this site for accurate information concerning laws regarding response to EMS and fire department calls.
    My son, who just graduated, has joined our local volunteer fire department.
    His goal is to attend school for EMS and Paramedic.
    My concern is what the laws are for WV. He's exercising his independence
    and "tells" us as parents, that it's legal to drive as fast as you can but still be safe when responding to calls. Right now he is a First Responder. We live approximately 12 miles from the station. I worry about him driving to fast and I have no idea who the Captain is, nor does he want any interferance in what he's doing. He states he must pay for his own lights, AND SIREN!
    Do firemen have sirens, because I thought only the Chief, Asst. Chief, would have them. Also, what are the laws as far as speed? I'm sure he drives like a bat out of hell.........I just don't want him to get hurt, or hurt someone else, and he really needs to be accurately informed of the laws that govern response to fires, accidents, transports, basically everything that responders do. I hate to see him lose his sponsor for schooling, over not knowing the law. Anyone have this info or a site where I could go to get it?

Tks,
    Worried parent

Contact your local state police detachment. I know you must stop at all red lights and stop signs. I also know that you cannot go as fast as you want to.

You could also contact the fire chief and have him/her put a stop to it. They could also be held liable if your son crashes so they would want to know.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Award Winning Grant Writing Seminar Comes To WV

Mark your Calendars for Kurt Bradley's Grant Writing Seminar to be held in McMechen, West Virginia. Seminar will be held February 16-17, 2008 at the McMechen VFD Fire Hall. Early Registration (30 days prior to the seminar) will receive a $50.00 discount from the $349 per person regular fee. Please contact John Davis at [email protected] for further details.

http://www.mcmechenvfd.com/seminar/

We expect this class to fill fast after we anounce it at the WV State Firermens Association Convention in Wheeling

For More Information on The WV State Firermens Association Convention go to www.wvsfa.com
      John & Sheila
      McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
      "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Proper training needed

Under WV state law your son must first have a permit to travel with lights and siren. The permits are issued by the local fire chief, because that department is liable for that vehicle during a response. Usually, this is issued after the FF has taken an Emergency Vehicle Operations Class (EVOC) that is given by WVU Fire Extension. He will usually be expected to provide his own lights and siren as a Volunteer.

In regards to the "drive as fast as he wants to" comment, I know that State law does state that you may exceed the posted speed limit, but I would be vigilant in reminding every FF that we are responding to help someone in need, not to create more accidents, and that you can't help anyone if you don't make it there.

Most of all, TALK WITH THE CHIEF. There is NO reason why you shouldn't know the chief of your dept. and be able to talk with him about the safety of everyone in the community, let alone the safety of your son! I'm sure that he would like to know about your concern as well.

May God Bless

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X