Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

FL to WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL to WA

Hey everybody!

I am considering moving back home to the King county area. I am working for a fire department here in central Florida, and was wondering how the State of Washington is on certification transferring.
    Also, how is the job market? There seems to be quite a few openings in the area.

I presently have:
    FL state FF2
    Pro board FF2
    FL EMT-B
    NREMT-B
    and had just finished my EMT-P class, so in anticipation I pass my state and NREMT-P testing, we'll say I have those.

Should I anticipate any issues? I am going to contact the State, but figured this would be a good start.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure how the fire certs will work, as most places are going to require you to attend either the State academy, or their own, regardless of how many certs you have. Certs look good on the resume', and may help if you get to an oral board. Other than that, you'll just have to take the test with everyone else,and hope for the best.

The bad news is, Paramedic is going to mean nothing if you want to work in King County, you have to go through the Harborview Medic One program. The only way into that program is to get hired first, by an agency that provides ALS, then get selected for the program.

If you're hoping PM is going to help you get hired, your best bet is to look to Pierce, Snohomish, or Kitsap County.

Good luck.
    Last edited by sfd1992; 09-12-2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the info and apologize for not being more specific. I have heard from other people that if you have state FF2 certification in one state, other states will automatically grant you FF2 in their state. I was wondering how WA generally was in accepting other state's certifications.

Comment

WOW...i too work for a Central FL Dept. and have been doing extensive research into moving to the Seattle area since vacationing there this summer.....The info above is exactly what i have found when looking for info.....you could challenge the states PM exam for all counties other than King county if you have been working as a medic for 2+ years unless you have a NREMT PM cert (which you said you would be taking)......i myself need to recert my NREMT-B cert but since you can only hold one or the other i will challenge there exam vs test for NREMT PM cert and lose the EMT-B cert.....i wont move for at least 2.5 more years since that when i will be vested in FRS state retirment....unless our ownderful conservative pols decide to screw with the vesting time and drop program.....I would be willing to apply in Tacoma as a medic and live in between for quite a bit more than Seattle, but to make almost 20K more than i did as just an EMT, i would definitely forgo the medic and apply with Seattle and no deal to much with patient transports
        42-B "The Night Train"

Comment

Florida Certs

Hey guys, I have some questions about all the certs needed to get hired in Florida. I'm currently employed in Phoenix, and was looking into moving to florida in the next few years and have been trying to find out as much as I can. I would love to work for a department near any coast basically.
          1.) I see that you have to have a Florida drivers license, can you only obtain one if you actually live in the state? Any way around that?
          2.) Are departments hiring more medics or emt's.
          3.) I'm sure it's very competitive there, just how tough would it be to get on somewhere? Average starting salary for a emt looks like around $35-$40K, is that pretty accurate?

Any input would be great, I really appreciate it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X