Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

POV Lights Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POV Lights Virginia

Hey,

I am moving to Virginia and am joining two rescue squads and one fire Co. I have been researching POV light laws and I can't find very much info.

I read Virginia code § 46.2-1024 and need some clarification. It says that your vehicle can be equipped with "no more than two flashing or steady-burning red or red and white combination warning lights." How do they classify a light? I am wondering about LEDs.

1) Do they consider a unit a light? Like this Light bar?
    http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Emergen...3DXDWEQ9BEJZMH

2) Or do they consider a string of LEDs a light? Like would the red part be one light and the white part be a second light on this unit?
    http://www.amazon.com/Tocas-Intensit...ncy+dash+light

-Virginia code § 46.2-1024
    Any member of a fire department, volunteer fire company, or volunteer rescue squad, any ambulance driver employed by a privately owned ambulance service, and any police chaplain may equip one vehicle owned by him with no more than two flashing or steady-burning red or red and white combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Warning lights permitted by this section shall be lit only when answering emergency calls. A vehicle equipped with lighting devices as authorized in this section shall be operated by a police chaplain only if he has successfully completed a course of training in the safe operation of a motor vehicle under emergency conditions and a certificate attesting to such successful completion, signed by the course instructor, is carried at all times in the vehicle when operated by the police chaplain to whom the certificate applies.

No matter who you ask, from your local deputy to trooper to vehicle inspector, you'll get a different answer as to what a "light" is. I really wish the Attorney General's office would provide clarification on it.

What area are you moving to?

Keep it low-key and you should be fine. Remember, it's a 100% courtesy light and there are no provisions for POV's to break traffic laws in Virginia.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

I am planning on going to the local sheriffs office to ask them.

I'm moving to just outside Harrisonburg in Rockingham County.

I was just planning on getting a small LED roof mount bar. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Harrisonburg and the surrounding areas in the County are growing exponentially. That's a great area. Be sure to visit the Harrisonburg Rescue Squad to see their new rescue company when you make it down.

Let me know what the local SO says. I teach EVOC in many areas of the Commonwealth, and the answers you get (it means two light bulbs, it means two lenses, it means two light bars) are all over the place.
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

The Harrisonburg Rescue Squad is one of the the rescue squads that I'm planning on joining. I'll be living in Singers Glen which is about 10 miles outside of Harrisonburg. I'll be joining the Fire Dept. and Rescue Squad in there.

I'll definitely let you know what they tell me.

Comment

You mentioned earlier that it is a 100% courtesy light. So that means that drivers are not legally required to do anything? I'm from Vermont where if you do not pull over and stop, you can be fined, ect. Below is Virginia code § 46.2-920. Does it only apply to official FD/RS vehicles and not to permitted POVs?

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...0+cod+46.2-920

Comment

You're correct, §46.2-920 only applies to emergency vehicles, which are required to meet the definitions provided in §46.2-1022 AND §46.2-1023. Lighting on personal vehicles (§46.2-1024) doesn't fall under section 920. Therefore, drivers in the Commonwealth can not be summoned by law enforcement for failure to yield to POV's, even if they're using courtesy lights.
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Comment

Ok, that's good to know!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...