Fire crews close Provo Center St. after gas leak

Fire fighters closed down a section of Center Street in Provo on Wednesday morning after a gas leak at a new restaurant.

Fire department battalion chief Tom Augustus said that crews received a call reporting the smell of natural gas around 8 a.m. After investigating, he said they discovered a pilot light had gone out but gas continued to flow at the new Station 22 restaurant, just west of University Ave.

Augustus said fire crews evacuated the entire Provo Town Square building and closed Center Street between University Ave. and 100 West. The sidewalk on University Ave. between Center Street and 100 North also was closed.

Augustus said there were no injuries or property damage related to the incident. By 9:30 a.m. crews were ventilating the building and preparing to reopen Center Street.