Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Question to current Tx firefighters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
    you might check hospitals and med clinics to see if they will employ you as emt, that way you are using some of the skills
    I definitely will. Thank you for the info.

Comment

Find a progressive VFD that will put in for a SAFER grant for recruiting and retention. Let that pay for any school you want. Safer R&R is a fairly easy grant to get.

If need be, write it yourself, with the FD permission. It is a 100% grant, no money on the Fire Departments part, and at the same time it can be used for Workmens comp insurance, AD&D, school, turnouts, all sorts of things.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
        Find a progressive VFD that will put in for a SAFER grant for recruiting and retention. Let that pay for any school you want. Safer R&R is a fairly easy grant to get.

If need be, write it yourself, with the FD permission. It is a 100% grant, no money on the Fire Departments part, and at the same time it can be used for Workmens comp insurance, AD&D, school, turnouts, all sorts of things.
        That sounds pretty cool. I know a fd near here that is a combo department. They just put all of their guys through an in house academy that granted them IFSAC seals. I couldn't get in on it in enough time since i'm not a member. On a different note I am not against paramedics but why does almost every department want them? I understand it means better patient care but it seems to me at least that the days of the EMT-B in the Tx fire service are coming to an end.

Comment

You should have been around when they started wanting EMT's on the engines. I cannot count the number of times I heard "I ain't no doctor". Thankfully the unions recognized that it would end up being the salvation of staffing levels so they got behind it.

Comment

Another thing. Get involved with other training. Lots of classes that you would qualify for as a reserve PD as well as FD. Great classes like IRTB and PRSBI at New Mexico Tech. WMD classes in Las Vegas. WMD and CBRNE classes at Anniston AL. Fire classes at NFA in Emmitsburg MD.

Many are TtT classes, where you become an instructor.

The best part? The cost is FREE. They pay your airfare, they pay your lodging, they pay your 50 bucks a day plus for food. Some give you a rental car. They pay your baggage and parking. All you have to do is learn. You can even get college credit - of course you have to pay for the credit hours.

When you bring instructor certs, you are even more valuable.

Comment

You should have been around when they started wanting EMT's on the engines. I cannot count the number of times I heard "I ain't no doctor". Thankfully the unions recognized that it would end up being the salvation of staffing levels so they got behind it.
              Lol I can imagine. A lot of the pd volunteers that I work with are firefighters that retired in the 90's or early 00's. Their reaction to the paramedic thing as well as all the extra training is about the same. Personally I'm not that great in the medical classes. I know it and admit it. When it's time for the clinical internships I excel at it. Call me crazy but my absolute favorite subject is Haz-mat. It's something I understand. However I don't think having Emt-b and a butt load of Haz-mat certs will help me find a place to start a career.

Comment

Another thing. Get involved with other training. Lots of classes that you would qualify for as a reserve PD as well as FD. Great classes like IRTB and PRSBI at New Mexico Tech. WMD classes in Las Vegas. WMD and CBRNE classes at Anniston AL. Fire classes at NFA in Emmitsburg MD.

Many are TtT classes, where you become an instructor.

The best part? The cost is FREE. They pay your airfare, they pay your lodging, they pay your 50 bucks a day plus for food. Some give you a rental car. They pay your baggage and parking. All you have to do is learn. You can even get college credit - of course you have to pay for the credit hours.

When you bring instructor certs, you are even more valuable.
                That sounds pretty awesome to say the least.

Comment

Hazmat TtT classes would help.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasSkywarn View Post
                    That sounds pretty cool. I know a fd near here that is a combo department. They just put all of their guys through an in house academy that granted them IFSAC seals. I couldn't get in on it in enough time since i'm not a member. On a different note I am not against paramedics but why does almost every department want them? I understand it means better patient care but it seems to me at least that the days of the EMT-B in the Tx fire service are coming to an end.
                    not a paramedic, so cannot talk well to the subject.

If not paramedic, than seems like you are only a transport service to the hospital

if not paramedic, than the city might fund an ambulance service

if not paramedic and providing ambulance service, than the city might want a dept to justify just alittle more firefighters who only fight fire.

Most of our dept runs are medical, with very few fires.

Comment

Lol I can imagine. A lot of the pd volunteers that I work with are firefighters that retired in the 90's or early 00's. Their reaction to the paramedic thing as well as all the extra training is about the same. Personally I'm not that great in the medical classes. I know it and admit it. When it's time for the clinical internships I excel at it. Call me crazy but my absolute favorite subject is Haz-mat. It's something I understand. However I don't think having Emt-b and a butt load of Haz-mat certs will help me find a place to start a career.

try the oil refineries in houston

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
                        try the oil refineries in houston
                        I applied to one of them and a got phone interview. My application was then passed on to the local hiring manager. That was the last I heard. I think it would be interesting working a refinery. The one I applied to was being a Firefighter/EMT and a security officer.

Comment

I applied to one of them and a got phone interview. My application was then passed on to the local hiring manager. That was the last I heard. I think it would be interesting working a refinery. The one I applied to was being a Firefighter/EMT and a security officer.
                          e

yep kind of three positions in one, have seen it before in the car making industry, but it is a job in related field till you get hired

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X