Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Question to current Tx firefighters.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question to current Tx firefighters.

    Let me start out by explaining where I am coming from. Late last year 2014 I completed my EMT-B (Still working on the cert) and took some fire science classes while obtaining 33 credits. I have applied at the following departments with no success: Austin Fire 2011, Temple Fire 2012, Texas City 2012, Baytown 2012, Temple 2014,Galveston 2014,Port of Houston 2014. I have two applications in progress right now for two different departments. I wanted to go teex but couldn't afford it even with financial aid from college.

    In my recent 2014 adventures into the fire service application process I found a disturbing trend: Even if I went to fire school and completed it chances are a department wouldn't consider me due to not having a paramedic certification. I have heard a saying before and that is don't get a paramedic cert just to up your chances. That being said it looks incredibly hard to even obtain a job without that cert.

    So my question is should I pursue volunteer firefighting and call it good enough? The other option I see possible is finding a department that doesn't consider paramedic certs and treats everyone the same till the oral interview. For the record I do like ems and found it challenging however I am unemployed right now and I don't think I'm ready for paramedic. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Highly suggest you get tx ff cert, otherwise may have less of a chance getting hired.

    You can go through this group and all book work is online with two full weeks in class, fastest way to do it.

    http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

    Or get paramedic and some depts. will put you through the academy

    or keep checking the state site for places that might hire you with emt only


    http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp




    Or keep going to places like Austin, FW, dallas that you are in a cattle call

    Comment


    • #3
      Training division is my next option. I did have the opportunity to go to a academy but I went into it being injured and lets just say the end result was not pretty. I did get a 2nd opportunity but I ran out of money to re-attend. I needed gear,gas to get there and of course meals to eat. Over the last couple of months I have managed to get some money in the bank but I had to sell my car to afford classes the first time. I might in the future take paramedic but it will not be through the last program I took for EMT which I will not name. My class had 4 instructors and 20 students. At the end 9 graduated and 4 got certified. I saw my lead instructor maybe 5-6 times during the course. The other instructors would usually lend class at 2pm instead of 5pm. The Anatomy and patho chapter was covered in 45mins one day. To sum it up we mostly taught ourselves and let our clinicals teach us the rest.

      Comment


      • #4
        And don't say that crap at an interview. No interviewer wants to hear negative stuff about anyone.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TexasSkywarn View Post
          Training division is my next option. I did have the opportunity to go to a academy but I went into it being injured and lets just say the end result was not pretty. I did get a 2nd opportunity but I ran out of money to re-attend. I needed gear,gas to get there and of course meals to eat. Over the last couple of months I have managed to get some money in the bank but I had to sell my car to afford classes the first time. I might in the future take paramedic but it will not be through the last program I took for EMT which I will not name. My class had 4 instructors and 20 students. At the end 9 graduated and 4 got certified. I saw my lead instructor maybe 5-6 times during the course. The other instructors would usually lend class at 2pm instead of 5pm. The Anatomy and patho chapter was covered in 45mins one day. To sum it up we mostly taught ourselves and let our clinicals teach us the rest.
          Yep does not sound good.

          I should have said and sounds like you know it already, Paramedic will almost get you hired. WHen you have that, you cut down competition to around fifty people testing.

          Also stay out of any trouble, even parking ticket

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
            Yep does not sound good.

            I should have said and sounds like you know it already, Paramedic will almost get you hired. WHen you have that, you cut down competition to around fifty people testing.

            Also stay out of any trouble, even parking ticket
            I always leave the negative stuff out if I reach the interviews. It's just my opinion really that no school is perfect. More or less i am trying find one now that actually cares about the students they teach. Training division was always my fallback option but I never did it. The fire academy I was at did their job. It was a very nice place to learn. However my budget could only get me so far and it forced me not to be able to continue. As far as paramedic classes go can anybody recommend one? I am looking for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TexasSkywarn View Post
              I always leave the negative stuff out if I reach the interviews. It's just my opinion really that no school is perfect. More or less i am trying find one now that actually cares about the students they teach. Training division was always my fallback option but I never did it. The fire academy I was at did their job. It was a very nice place to learn. However my budget could only get me so far and it forced me not to be able to continue. As far as paramedic classes go can anybody recommend one? I am looking for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
              what part of tx are you in???

              north, south, east , west??

              not a small state to commute in.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
                what part of tx are you in???

                north, south, east , west??

                not a small state to commute in.
                Sorry bout that. I'm east of Austin about an hr from College Station kind of the middle of no-wheres. I did find a program at Blinn Community college but I don't think I qualify.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i've head some good things about the paramedic program at TEEX.. you can also check out EMTSAcademy. Paramedic programs are usually pretty pricey (cheaper to get your fire cert). like mentioned above, a paramedic cert will definitely cut down the amount of competition you have, but it still wont guarantee you a job. keep testing, stay out of trouble, and volunteer if you can. you could always try and find a volunteer department that will help you get your SFFMA cert, then challenge the TCFP test (score high enough to get IFSAC cert).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 512brian View Post
                    i've head some good things about the paramedic program at TEEX.. you can also check out EMTSAcademy. Paramedic programs are usually pretty pricey (cheaper to get your fire cert). like mentioned above, a paramedic cert will definitely cut down the amount of competition you have, but it still wont guarantee you a job. keep testing, stay out of trouble, and volunteer if you can. you could always try and find a volunteer department that will help you get your SFFMA cert, then challenge the TCFP test (score high enough to get IFSAC cert).
                    Alright. Thanks for the info. I have been a volunteer since 2010 with my local PD. As soon as I can get a decent vehicle I would love to volunteer with the local FD. How hard is it to challenge the tcfp for the IFSAC cert? Also as far as paramedic programs go EMTS academy sounds nice.
                    Last edited by TexasSkywarn; 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TexasSkywarn View Post
                      Alright. Thanks for the info. I have been a volunteer since 2010 with my local PD. As soon as I can get a decent vehicle I would love to volunteer with the local FD. How hard is it to challenge the tcfp for the IFSAC cert? Also as far as paramedic programs go EMTS academy sounds nice.
                      so you get your SFFMA through your volunteer fire department (can also take some courses on trainingdivision). after you get your SFFMA, you can challenge the TCFP test. if you score over an 80% (used to be 90%) on all parts of the test, you pay like an extra $15 to get your IFSAC seals. there is a lot of good info on the tcfp website including information on testing, ifsac, and agencies that are hiring.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sounds like it might be a good option. I personally love volunteering but it has a bad habit of not paying the bills lol. Right now as a pd volunteer we already show up at any accident and lend first aid till we can set up traffic control. Same goes for fire ground activities.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          check with tdhs and see if they know of any schools in your area


                          http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...s/NewCert.shtm


                          check jr colleges around for programs


                          check hospitals and ambulance services, some will pay to send you to school if you work for them, some have bridge programs to paramedic

                          check fd around your area to see where their medics have gone to school

                          forestry???

                          http://tfsweb.tamu.edu/websites/twpp/

                          do you check the tcfp site weekly for entry places??:::

                          http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
                            check with tdhs and see if they know of any schools in your area


                            http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...s/NewCert.shtm


                            check jr colleges around for programs


                            check hospitals and ambulance services, some will pay to send you to school if you work for them, some have bridge programs to paramedic

                            check fd around your area to see where their medics have gone to school

                            forestry???

                            http://tfsweb.tamu.edu/websites/twpp/

                            do you check the tcfp site weekly for entry places??:::

                            http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp
                            The Tcfp web page I visit at least 20 times daily lol. As far as working as an emt then training as paramedic at a private service, that's something I have been looking at. I did get a phone interview for a industry fire department that needed EMT-B but I never made it to the 2nd stage most likely since I was just ending ems class at the time. They were probably wanting someone to be certified already. The forest service positions I have applied to numerous times ended all the same: A letter stating they went with someone else.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              you might check hospitals and med clinics to see if they will employ you as emt, that way you are using some of the skills

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X