Volunteer Depts near Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer Depts near Dallas

Are there any volunteer departments near the Dallas area?

Originally posted by dpg612 View Post
    Are there any volunteer departments near the Dallas area?
    There are plenty. I currently volunteer for Sunnyvale Fire Rescue. Rockwall, Forney, Combine, Ferris, etc all have volunteers. Check around, lots of small towns outside of the DFW metroplex have volunteer depts.

Comment

Depends on how far you want to live from Dallas.

The closest one to the city is Double Oak, which is located just northwest of Dallas.

Very small response area with only one apartment complex on the fringe. Everything else in the district is fairly expensive single-family residental.

Fairly squared away department with a couple of engines and a couple of brush trucks.

A few years ago it looked like my wife was going to be transferred to Dallas so I did a bunch of research.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Hows the call volume and training availability at some of these places? Many of the ones I have found websites for don't seem like what I expected, most seem very small. I'm coming from Long Island, NY and considering relocating for a job.

Comment

Tx volunteer depts I think you will find out are a little different then back east

Funding very low vehicles not as new
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Tx volunteer depts I think you will find out are a little different then back east

Most cities in dfw are all paid

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post

Most cities in dfw are all paid
              As Fire said, most departments in the DFW metro area are either all paid or part paid with some volunteer staff that pull in-station shifts and don't respond from home.

The department I looked at, Double Oak ran about 150 calls 5 years ago, with a lot of mutual and brush and wildland response.

Go to dovfd.org and that will give you a perspective on them as well as some of the other departments in Denton County, which is northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth.

Comment

LaFire thanks for the tip and link.
                This really is a whole different world, my home department gets almost 900 fire and 5500 ems calls. The 150 they ran 5 years ago was a couple of weeks here....

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                As Fire said, most departments in the DFW metro area are either all paid or part paid with some volunteer staff that pull in-station shifts and don't respond from home.

The department I looked at, Double Oak ran about 150 calls 5 years ago, with a lot of mutual and brush and wildland response.

Go to dovfd.org and that will give you a perspective on them as well as some of the other departments in Denton County, which is northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth.

Comment

Almost every department in the DFW Metroplex is career. There are very few FDs with remaining volunteer components that I am aware of.

As you leave the confines of Denton (to the north), Mesquite (to the east), Arlington (to the south), and Fort Worth (to the west), almost all of the FDs go from all-career to all-volunteer.

The following in the DFW Metroplex are all-career:

Arlington
                  Bedford
                  Carrollton
                  Dallas
                  Denton
                  DFW Airport
                  Euless
                  Flower Mound
                  Frisco
                  Garland
                  Grand Prairie
                  Grapevine
                  Hurst
                  Irving
                  Lewisville
                  Mesquite
                  Plano
                  Richardson

Although there are a few little departments scattered "here and there" inside the Metroplex, most are all-career.
                  DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Comment

Originally posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
                    Almost every department in the DFW Metroplex is career. There are very few FDs with remaining volunteer components that I am aware of.

As you leave the confines of Denton (to the north), Mesquite (to the east), Arlington (to the south), and Fort Worth (to the west), almost all of the FDs go from all-career to all-volunteer.

The following in the DFW Metroplex are all-career:

Arlington
                    Bedford
                    Carrollton
                    Dallas
                    Denton
                    DFW Airport
                    Euless
                    Flower Mound
                    Frisco
                    Garland
                    Grand Prairie
                    Grapevine
                    Hurst
                    Irving
                    Lewisville
                    Mesquite
                    Plano
                    Richardson

Although there are a few little departments scattered "here and there" inside the Metroplex, most are all-career.
                    I found a few North East near McKinney, anyone have an opinion to share about any of them?

Comment

As you stated vol back east are different then Texas

Back east they actualy cover large cities, like a paid one , while the vol in Texas cover more rural cities and do not have the equipment like a vol back east

Normaly

Comment

Don't know much about near McKinney.

When I was looking over there my wife's office was going to be just west of Dallas in Irving, so I concentrated my search in Denton and tarrant counties within 45 minutes of her office.

As Fire49 stated, the vast majority of the area around Dallas until you get an hour out, or more, are career or primarily career. My suggestion would be to simply get a good map and look up some of the departments north of McKinney, or northern denton county and see what you hit.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X