Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

What's going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on?

I haven't seen a lot of posts on here in at least 6 months, I wanted to know where everyone was?

I also had a question for some of the full-time career guys online here in RI. I have found when I have tested that EMT-Cardiac cert. is necessary to be hired but FF1 + 2 were not. The only ones requiring FF1 were the airports.

I currently have my Cardiac cert. and have looked into taking FF1 but I am getting mixed feedback from others on taking it now. Some say wait until you get on because they will put you through FF1 + 2 during the academy. I have also had dept.'s ask me when I was going to get it during interviews. So I am trying to figure out if it is to my advantage to take it or not.

Any suggestions?

Depends on what city you are going for. I know that the bigger cities, Providence, Cranston and Warwick run their own academies and don't require the FF 1 or 2 prior to being hired. Some departments may not run their own academies and would require you to have it before going on. There are pros and cons to having it before getting on one of the mentioned cities. It is good to have for your own personal knowledge and will help you with the basics of the new academy. The bad thing I see is people running their mouths if we do something differently then they were taught or did at their previous departments. No one really cares how you did it anywhere else, this is how we do it and that is it. We hired 11 guys last week and in dealing with the class for 20 minutes, I can tell you at least one guy that must have come from another department and believes he knows everything. In talking to one of the training officers last night, he told me that he could guess who I was talking about. It will be a long first year for that guy if he keeps it up.

If you are not currently affiliated with a department, paid or volunteer, I am not sure how you are going to get FF1. You have to have full gear including an SCBA for the practical exercises.
    Northeast Fire Photos

Comment

I am affiliated with a voluteer department who might offer FF1 in January, if they do offer it then I will probably take it. I just wanted to know if it makes a difference between me hired and someone else getting hired first in smaller dept.'s. They never require it, but they seem to like someone who has it over someone who doesn't have the cert.

Comment

If smaller departments are asking you about it then you probably want to take the class. Anything you have above another candidate will certainly help you to get hired. It is a good class and you will learn a lot. Most of the instructors are from different departments across the state and bring many years of experience to the class.
        Northeast Fire Photos

Comment

Originally posted by gdma15 View Post
          I am affiliated with a voluteer department who might offer FF1 in January, if they do offer it then I will probably take it. I just wanted to know if it makes a difference between me hired and someone else getting hired first in smaller dept.'s. They never require it, but they seem to like someone who has it over someone who doesn't have the cert.
          Is this the first Volunteer spot you've had? I'm surprised they don't require FF1 as well, at least after some amount of time. If you haven't been a volunteer for very long, you may want to hang in there for a little while, get your FF1 and then try to move on to a career position. Remember, there is a chance you might not like the job. Then you'd have wasted a lot of time in a city fire academy when you could have been doing something else.

Comment

But if I am all ready on a list, will they or could they skip over me because I do not have FF1 or 2 yet? or do they have to go by the #'s on the list?

Comment

Yes they could skip over you. Civil Service rules say they have to choose one from the top three. That is why they bring in three people for interviews for one position. You need to work to get every cert you can get, if that is what the departments are looking for and come out 1 or 2 on the test. I came out number 2 on the list for the first department I got on and was the first one hired from that test. The guy that was number 1 never got hired from that list. Four years later I tested for Cranston and came out near the top of that list. I can tell you that for the latest class of 11 we put on, they went down into the 20's to get the 11. There were several guys near the top that didn't have their C license and thought they really didn't need it. They are still looking for a job.
              Northeast Fire Photos

Comment

No matter what I am going to go get that cert. and I know that Cranston did interview 3 for every spot they were hiring. I have a friend who is in the academy in Cranston and loves it. But my question is if interviews have all ready been conducted and lists have been posted, can they still do that?

Comment

One way or another they will hire who they want to hire. Im finishing up the academy with a large department in the state now, some guys had FF1 already, some didnt. Either way we all had to take it in the academy and we all had to pass it. The more qualifications u have the better, always. Just make it clear in the interview that you want to learn it their way and that everything you have learned is just a foundation. (this should also be a true statement, they see right through lip service). Good luck.

Comment

Out of curiousity, can I get a job out in ri without being a resident? I'm currently on the list here but may not get hired because I had asthma when I was a child. I'm a volunteer ff now with ff1, ff2n rescue tech, truck co ops. Do I have a chance at getting a career there? Ny is extremely tough to land a spot.

My apologies for bad grammar, I'm using muy phone to post this.

Comment

it may be hard to get a job here because some have residency policies others require you to be a rhode island emt-basic or even a rhode island emt-cardiac also you need a state of rhode island physical agility test which was offered last month and the next one is up in the air as to when there going to do it. the competition is not any different here in rhode island then any other state. there are alot of guys who all live here dying to get on a test when ever something comes up and alot of small depts that only hire a few at a time. if you wanna get on here get a place here and get your basic then your cardiac so the depts dont have to pay for them the firefighter stuff is great but they teach you all that in the recruit school!!! any ways good luck!

Comment

depts

ok so tiverton and narragansett just had ads in the projo. any clue on any other depts hiring in the near future?

Comment

others

Not sure. I hear things about other towns hiring, but haven't seen anything yet. I did put my application in for Tiverton, did anyone else?

Comment

tiverton

anyone get there letters to test for tfd yet i know the letters for nfd came out.

Comment

tiverton

Has anyone received written results yet?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X