Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

PNW lack of rain and snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNW lack of rain and snow

Well looks like we are going to have another dry summer if we keep going in our current direction. Is any body else getting that feeling here in the Great PNW?
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Every day brings us new and exciting challenges. It is up to us to either embrace them or let them destroy us.

Yep-

I was at Timberline Lodge on December 6th. We had to walk about 1/2 mile up the mountain to find a patch of snow for the kids to play in.

I know there is plenty of snow now, but it ain't enough.

My conflagration bag will be packed at the end of May.

-spud--

Comment

Bags are packed

Yep I hear ya. Mine is always ready. Maybe we will bump into each other. Were you on either the Squire fire or the Biscuit fire?
      Captain Tom Kichenmaster
      Philomath Fire & Rescue
      Philomath, OR.

Every day brings us new and exciting challenges. It is up to us to either embrace them or let them destroy us.

Comment

Nope. Went to The Dalles this year and Ukiah last year. I was ready, though

--spud--

Comment

When on the fires, do you monitor the weather? Like temp, RH and so on? and if you do, what do you use? The belt weather kit or ???
          Captain Tom Kichenmaster
          Philomath Fire & Rescue
          Philomath, OR.

Comment

I think it is "bell" weather kit, and yes, our Task Force Leader does monitor the weather.

However, on the conflagrations I have been on, either ODF or the Feds have a meteorologist at the base camp to monitor weather.

--spud--

Comment

Yes either the feds or ODF does usually have a meteroligist on staff but they don't have weather at "your" location. It is actually called a belt weather kit. Having worked for the Forest Circus in the past I learned how to use one and instruct others on how to use it as well. On both the Squire Peak and Biscuit fires I had my crew taking readings every hour or half hour depending on conditions. I just purchased a personal weather station called a Kestrel 3000. Going to see how it does. It measures wind speed, RH, temp, heat stress, dew point and can give trends. I should have it in about a week or so. I am going to start using it as soon as I get it so I can figure it out totally. If you are interested in it, let me know and I will fill you in on how it is doing.

Also do you care if I add you to my buddy list? I do not mind if you add me.
              Captain Tom Kichenmaster
              Philomath Fire & Rescue
              Philomath, OR.

Comment

You sure can add me, but- I have no idea what that means

--spud--

Comment

It just tells me if you are online in Firehouse.com when I am. That is all really.

I just went and looked at NOAA's website. If their forcast is right, Eastern Oregon is a TNT stick waiting for match this summer. Saw on the news last night that we are only at 53% snow pack and not even close to our rainfall. Not looking good. Last year we were at 112% of snowpack and below rainfall. The snowpack kept the reservoirs mostly full. Unless we really get a major snow fall we are going to be short on water in all directions.
                  Captain Tom Kichenmaster
                  Philomath Fire & Rescue
                  Philomath, OR.

Comment

yikes

Yea, I am a little concerned about what this summer will bring, not only out in the wilderness (so to speak) but also here in the urban interface environments! I think it's going to be getting pretty ugly before long. We've already run a number of small grass/field fires, and we're in the heart of the Willamette Valley! I'll see you guys in the chow line at conflagration!

Stay Safe,
                    Cliff

Oh, and I was down at the Biscuit with Marion County task force. We worked night crew structure protection/triage and spotfire watch for the backburns. This was all in the Illinois Valley. Where were you at?
                    Last edited by mcleoud151; 03-01-2003, 05:50 PM.
                    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Comment

Biscuit Fire

I was on the east side also. We were one of the first task forces there. Got there when the fire was at 18K and left at 68+K. Was there for 5 days. I was an engine boss on the Benton Task force. We did triage in Selma and at one point did triage clear down to Cave Junction. I think I remember when the Marion task force got there. Until you guys showed up we were on standby in camp at night if any thing happened. It was nice to get some sleep at night knowing that we wouldn't have to get woke up. Thanks to y'all. We do thank you.

Well maybe we will see each other this summer. Have a good week.
                      Captain Tom Kichenmaster
                      Philomath Fire & Rescue
                      Philomath, OR.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X