X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffafd165
    replied
    Originally posted by FPO703 View Post
    Not to change the topic of discussion for this thread. But, I'm curious about a few current ongoings in AFD.

First, where is Ladder 1? It's been gone for a while with Engine 3 running in its place.

Also, why can't Community Care tone out AFD any more on dispatch for medical runs? They have to call 'Fire Alarm' via radio to have them do it.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Ladder 1 was out for service getting new electrical, ladder upgrades, etc. and was gone for approx. 6 mos., but its now back.

All Fire Dept. dispatching now goes through Fire Alarm which includes mutual aid, CCAN, Police.

Leave a comment:

• FPO703
    replied
    Anyone still alive on this thread?

Leave a comment:

• FPO703
    replied
    Not to change the topic of discussion for this thread. But, I'm curious about a few current ongoings in AFD.

First, where is Ladder 1? It's been gone for a while with Engine 3 running in its place.

Also, why can't Community Care tone out AFD any more on dispatch for medical runs? They have to call 'Fire Alarm' via radio to have them do it.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Leave a comment:

• Buckels128
    replied
    Ashtabula hired 2 guys off that last list about 1 month ago. Im sure it was the best 50$ those guys ever spent.
    Last edited by Buckels128; 06-03-2007, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Firemedic515
    replied
    Checking up to see if AFD has hired yet. Any new information out there?

Leave a comment:

• MontvilleFire39
    replied
    Originally posted by Steamer View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does the name "Ron Pristera" ring a bell for some of you guys?
    I was wondering the same thing......

Leave a comment:

• Steamer
    replied
    Just out of curiosity, does the name "Ron Pristera" ring a bell for some of you guys?
    Last edited by Steamer; 03-11-2007, 03:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MontvilleFire39
    replied
    Originally posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    No condemnation here. Just simply stated that I think $50 is too much. BTW...has AFD hired anyone yet? They were hiring 2 right away, correct?
    *Disclaimer* I have no first hand knowledge of AFD, but I work in a bordering township and have some friends in the process, so I hear things.

To my knowledge, they have not hired anyone yet. The written is done, the physical is done, and some have been called for interviews.

Leave a comment:

• Firemedic515
    replied
    No condemnation here. Just simply stated that I think $50 is too much. BTW...has AFD hired anyone yet? They were hiring 2 right away, correct?
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 03-09-2007, 11:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MontvilleFire39
    replied
    Most other cities are charging $15-$35 for an approx. 1 in 100 shot at getting a job, wheras AFD is charging $50 for an approx 1 in 5 shot at getting a job. So lets make a few hypothetical scenarios here for fun:

Example # 1

Wannabe Fireman # 1 is a 240 firefighter and Basic EMT. He has spent approx. $750 for his 240 and arounf $1000 for his basic emt. He then goes and spends $50 to take AFD's exam and gets hired. His total investemtn for an excellent job in an active and respectable FD is around $1800 bucks.

Example # 2

Wannabe Fireman # 2 is a 240 hour firefighter and Paramedic. He has spent approx. $750 for his 240 and nearl $4000 for his paramedic. He then spends $25 to take Aurora's exam, $25 to take Rocky Rivers exam, $5 to take North Royalton's exam, $25 to take Strongsville's exam, $30 take Berea's exam, $25 to take Mentor's exam, takes Youngstown's free exam, and Beachwood's $25 exam. He may or may not get hired, as most of theese departments are only hiring one or two if any, and average 200 candidates per exam. Wannabe #2 is now nearly $5000 into this, and still has no rock solid chance at getting a job.

On top of all of this, it is no mystery that many firemedics in NEO prefer not to ride the ambo (personally, I do.). AFD is one of the last places in the area where there is no ambo, and does not require a medic card to test. So next time you go condeming a department on the internet, think a little. IMO, if you are truly concerned about the fee then you should call the chief and get the facts.

Cheers,

Ben Bindokas

Leave a comment:

• TFDNICK
    replied
    Well said.

I know when I was testing throughout the state I would of had no problem paying 50 bucks. Then on top of that only to have 30 some people show up, but the icing on the cake is no EMS transports!! Come on I would have paid a 100 bucks for a shot at that job.

Leave a comment:

• rfpsr63
    replied
    I've been following the discussion regarding the cost of entrance testing with great interest.

While it is true that the $50 fee may be higher than most, the question is how much is too much? Most other department's entrance tests are in the 30-35 range, so the incremental difference here is 15-20 dollars. Perhaps more than some candidates can afford, but why should the city subsidize the cost of entrance testing?

Do not forget the entrance test is a PROCESS, not just a written exam. The test must undergo two protest periods, be reviewed by the department and the Civil Service Commission, then a physical agility exam must be administered.

As a custodian of tax funds, how do we explain to our residents that we are using their money to finance other people's job search?

Frankly, I'm surprised that other departments have not raised their fee's as well.

As for the other discussions about call volume, numbers of fires etc, this information is available publicly via several sources to those who are informed enough to know where to look.

Respectfully,

Ron Pristera
    Ashtabula Fire Department

Leave a comment:

• gcannon
    replied
    You are not the City

We agree that a list of 25 is not good for the City, but it is great for the 25 candidates you numbskull! Are you the one who showed up here with 2 others from Uniontown and forgot your money? I thought so. And yes, I do work here, I came from the suburbs of Cleveland and believe me there's alot more going on here.

Leave a comment:

• Firemedic515
    replied
    As I stated before, I realize that the cost of putting on a test is substantial. I'm sure the department would like to hire experienced, well qualified individuals for the open positions.

That being said, I guarantee there were many experienced, well qualified firefighters that chose not to apply soley because the cost of the test was outrageous.

I don't understand why anyone would defend such a high fee. The fee does not benefit the department. The way it stands, the city will be lucky to have an eligibility list with more than 25 names (following written, agiility, and backgrounds). I wouldn't want to be put into a position to hire 6 "good" candidates from a list of only 25.

What the city doesn't understand is that if they cut their fee in half, they'd more than double the turnout and everybody wins.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wilson10
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureChief69 View Post
    gcannon why are you getting so bent out of shape. the guy just asked a question. maybe you should take that test. you are probably not even a fireman. my dad is a chief and he says it is too much for the test. my father also knows a ashtabula fireman and he says there is know way that they have 62 structure fires a year. you must be out of your mind!
    Why are you getting bent out of shape about something that doesn't concern you. Just because he said they had 62 structures for the year doesn't mean they completely burnt 62 structures. We have a lot of small fires that are listed as structures and no one really heres about because its just not that big of a deal, but it was still a structure fire. Thats how its listed for NIMS!
    Is your dad a volunteer chief?

While I do think the test fee is a little high, GCannon is right, there is a lot of cost involved, especially for the small/med departments who do most of the testing process themselves. I forget what each test costs, but I was thinking it was around 10-20 bucks a test. Depending on where they do their training (we go to Reynoldsburg) that alone can cost 5 grand or so. Also there are many people who will take tests just to take them for experience for that one dream job test.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X