Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Asheville NC pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asheville NC pay

Anyone know what Asheville FD pays their employees (FF/EMT or FF/Medics) say, 5 years in? Starting pay is like $28k but I'm trying to see what pay is 5yrs, 10 yrs after working for the department.

Anyone?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm asking for two reasons, one of them being another guy (who's a FF elsewhere) and may move to the Asheville area, but is afraid of a BIG paycut.

Comment

Brother, starting out in NC, it WILL be a big pay cut. Our pay is not set by union contracts.

I'll give you an example; I've been on the job with my department since March 2000, and I started out at like $24,000. My pay now varies between $50,000 and $60,000 depending on OT. This is at the rank of firefighter/assistant driver. But, I own a home and my taxes are under $1,000 year.

My next step is Driver, then on to Captain in a few years (hopefully). The Driver rank nets a 2.5% raise, and Captain 10%. I know guys that are Captains and are retiring making in the mid $70's.

The key with NC is to get in YOUNG! I started at 21, and using my sick time towards my retirement time, I can go out around 49 1/2. Then, hopefully land a sweet consulting gig somewhere and make double! I just pray to make it to Captain rank so my pension is decent.

Comment

thx

Thx RDU! I appreciate it. And this is in the Raliegh area I can assume (by your name on this forum)?

My comparison is a FL vs NC one. My brother in law makes about $75k already as a FF/Medic in S FL. He's still in his early 30's. He started out at like $46k with the dept he's with now.

NC also has a ton of volunteers- I know a few that have been for a few yrs. Sometimes I wonder, are they doing this for fun or are they trying to get a paid position? It seems very popular to be a volunteer in NC and I just wonder how much more competitive that makes it for guys who want to make a career out of it. Sometimes I wonder if they volunteer for a few yrs because they think it's cool and you get to wear a FF teeshirt, or if they really are wanting a paid position.
        Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Asheville is in Western part of state....the mountains to be exact. I've got a close friend with Miami-Dade, who said he'd love to come back to our area but every time he sees his paycheck he can't imagine it. He's a FF/Medic too.....

Comment

right on

right on, man. thanks for the reply. so the figure you gave me, is that for your area or is tht for the Asheville area? Asheville is a tough place due to the pay and the higher cost of living. i guess a lot of FF's in Asheville area have two jobs due to the low pay.

PS- Miam/Dade I'm not a fan of. I was born in FL and most of us do not consider Miami as part of the state, lol. But I hear they have an excellent FD and I bet their guys and gals are top notch!

Comment

Salaries are pretty consistent across the state, plus or minus a few thousand here and there.

Just about every fireman I know has a side gig, don't they!?!?!?! Heck, I have three or four!!! We have guys working a trade on the side, some work at volunteer departments as part-timers, stock guys at big box stores, even a few who drive those temporary storage containers around!!

If the dude's married, hopefully his wife is a nurse because they make bank. If not, tell him to find a chick if he comes up here and make sure she's a nurse!! Hahaha....

Comment

Originally posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
                Salaries are pretty consistent across the state, plus or minus a few thousand here and there.

Just about every fireman I know has a side gig, don't they!?!?!?! Heck, I have three or four!!! We have guys working a trade on the side, some work at volunteer departments as part-timers, stock guys at big box stores, even a few who drive those temporary storage containers around!!

If the dude's married, hopefully his wife is a nurse because they make bank. If not, tell him to find a chick if he comes up here and make sure she's a nurse!! Hahaha....
                LOL!

So salaries are pretty much within $5k or so wherever you are in NC, whether it be Charlotte/Raleigh or a small town like Asheville? Let me ask you this, does a FF/Medic get paid more than a FF/EMT?
                Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I'm comparing your larger departments. Small towns may start out a little higher, but there's compression at the higher levels.

My salary right now as a FF on the back (and as a fill in driver), is equal to some Captains at smaller departments.

Terrible example to use, but, a Captain in Lumberton recently was arrested for being a sick idiot. Lumberton is a small town, and as a Captain he was making $44,000 per the news.

I'm not sure about the whole EMT vs Medic pay question. There are very few departments in NC that I know of that are Medic level.

Tell him to check out Durham, as I know they run Intermediates on some rigs. I, for one, am happy being an EMT and have no desire to go any higher.

Charlotte, by the way, has their own pension system and it is awesome....25 years and like 80%. The rest is in the state fund, 30 years and like 55%. That's why I say GET IN EARLY and buy back any time you can (military)!

Comment

Why is he set on Asheville?

Comment

thx

Well, I currently live in Asheville and he has talked about moving up here, but he said no way could he take a big paycut. So i've been hoping that the pay wasnt that much less, but it is.

Charlotte's retirement system sounds awesome. Sounds simsilar to the one he's got. I think he's got 90% after 30 yrs, 75% after 25, and 60% after 20. So if' he's making $100k when he's near retirement age, which most FF/Medics in his dept do, he'll have a nice retirement.

Comment

And from what I've gathered, and I'm not sure if this is completely accurate. But Asheville FF's start out at $28k and top out at around $45k. They also get 55% of base pay at retirement after 25 yrs.

Comment

The pay in Asheville in five years considering you become a Senior Firefighter will be around 35k. Topping out at 45 would take you mos of your career. That figure is the top pay for the position. The City of Asheville hasn't given raises for three years now, so the step increases to get there people haven't got. There is no incentive for paramedic. They do not run ALS. And retirement in NC other than Charlotte is 30 years for the 55ish percent.

Comment

Greenville SC

Greenville SC, which is about an hr from Asheville... is a great city too.
                            Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

And...

And... anyone know if Asheville pays a little more if you hold a Bachelor's degree?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X