Random Cop Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Cop Question

A random question...for those who live in st. louis (county)...

If a cop from another county issued a speeding ticket, but they were NOT in their municpality, is it still legit?

(I.e.: a creve coeur cop give a ticket in Clayton?)

thanks

I bet the boys on the forums over at www.officer.com might be able to help!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Not from Missouri but... if it's a COUNTY Cop then it's legal. County Cops (Deputy Sheriff's) have State wide juristiction, sence they are Officers of the Court, and the Court is run by the state, so the Officers of the State have the total run of the state.
      FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by redneckemt
        Not from Missouri but... if it's a COUNTY Cop then it's legal. County Cops (Deputy Sheriff's) have State wide juristiction, sence they are Officers of the Court, and the Court is run by the state, so the Officers of the State have the total run of the state.
        little confused...so it would be legit, if the cop was a creve coeur in ladue or whatnot?

Comment

Don't ask a fireman, ask a cop. Go over to officer.com and ask them, they'll give you the info.
          Fir Na Tine
          Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

I am a cop.

Yeah it's legal. At least here in Tenn. Now most cops won't pull someone over out of their home terroritory but they can.
            FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

It depends on where he followed you from. If he started following you in creve cour then it's legal but if he started following you in clayton and pulled you over in clayton then it's illegal. Now st. louis county PD has every right to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by mikie333
                A random question...for those who live in st. louis (county)...

If a cop from another county issued a speeding ticket, but they were NOT in their municpality, is it still legit?

(I.e.: a creve coeur cop give a ticket in Clayton?)

thanks
                Only a Missouri cop can answer this for sure. Some states allow for statewide jurisdiction, meaning an officer can enforce state laws anywhere within the state. Even if there is not statewide jurisdiction, if the offense was committed in one municipality, that officer can pursue into the adjoining municipality and issue the ticket. Or, the agencies may have a memorandum of understanding (or mutual aid agreement) allowing officers to enforce laws in each other's jurisdictions.

Chances are, if he wrote you a ticket, you earned it and he's allowed to.
                My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

oh ya, i though so, and i know I earned it (50 in a 30...going down hill though...), actually was 51 but he took it down so I wouldn't be required to go to court). Though, I was impressed by this officer, he was really nice, and from what i've heard, usually cops giving tickets are pretty anal/mean.

but what about like a highway patro giving a ticket in a muni., not like they would be in creve couer or something (for this, i am just wondering)?

thanks y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by mikie333
                    oh ya, i though so, and i know I earned it (50 in a 30...going down hill though...), actually was 51 but he took it down so I wouldn't be required to go to court). Though, I was impressed by this officer, he was really nice, and from what i've heard, usually cops giving tickets are pretty anal/mean.

but what about like a highway patro giving a ticket in a muni., not like they would be in creve couer or something (for this, i am just wondering)?

thanks y'all!
                    Normally state police are, by statute, allowed to enforce laws across the state. They would normally enforce only state laws (speeding, drugs, etc.), not local laws (curfews, parking violations, etc.). I would guess that MHP has statutory (meaning, "by law") permission to enforce all state laws throughout the state, emphasizing protection of the public highways.

You could research more at www.missouri.gov.
                    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

If a city officer writes is only working under a city marshall, or on a city PD, then no, he CANNOT write in another jurisdiction.

If a city officer is also given jurisdiction outside of his primary jurisdiction, as often happens in the rural counties, by the local Sheriff, through the circuit judge, he can write in other areas OF THAT COUNTY.

How can you tell the difference between the two, during a traffic stop? You can't - without asking.

Most will ONLY write in their primary jurisdiction.

Highway patrol can write a state ticket anywhere in the state, (with some exceptions for private property)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X