Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Michigan radio system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen Brother. I am one of the OLDER guys, but I still agree to the change. I can actually talk to the other guys on my dept. I do think this is the best thing to happen to Monroe County firefighting since I do not know when.
    If the dissenters do not like the system, I suggest it is time to retire and get out, or get with the 21st century. Do not screw with my safety becuase you are too hard headed to change.

Comment

Our dept. just wrote a grant to switch completely to the 800mhz system. We too will be keeping out 154.430 pagers for tone outs and our radio service is telling us that our dispatch center will be able to patch whatever channel we want. All we have to do is provide them with a copy of our current frequency list and they will have the ability to link up for us, in cluding to neighboring counties, i.e. Vanburen, St. Joe, Calhoun, and Cass Counties. Our LE is currently on the system and they love it. Hopefully we will too.

Comment

Originally posted by ffexpCP View Post
        If I can remember all of the technical mumbo, I don’t think the system works for fire departments because trunking is not compatible with tone paging. This is why my city still hasn’t made the switch yet. We currently have high band fire and po po, but low band for DPW. We just don’t want to add 800 to all that.
        The 800 system works great with fire departments in livingston county. Central dispatch can simulcast on VHF for the tone pages and over 800. When central talks on main fire it is broadcast on VHF and 800, when anyone else talks it is only on the type of frequency for their radio type. ie: a FF talks on a VHF radio, only heard on VHF, on 800 only heard on 800.

800 works nicely because it has multiple talkgroups which you can designate for specific emergency scenes. Also, we can be patched to a VHF frequency for example when we need to talk to Survival Flight or Med Flight.
        Everyone Goes Home --- Prevent LODDs
        Visit www.everyonegoeshome.com

• Wear Your Seatbelt! --- Every Time, Every Call, No Matter What!
        • Pay Attention to the PASS --- Every time you hear a PASS, realize this time it might be the real deal!

Comment

We gave up on it

The fire service in our county has abandoned the 800 radios. Our area is one of the weakest for 800 coverage. Enter a building and you have no communications on 800. I used it to communicate with dispatch on a few occasions but it was not safe for fire ground operations.

The 800 system has its purpose and properly setup can be a dependable communications system. I don’t agree with the rest of the chiefs that we shouldn’t use it at all. I think the problem in our county was that it was perceived to be the fix to our VHF problems when it actually created more. Our patch between the 800 and VHF sucked. The VOX operated patch would ping pong between the 2 bands. Without a buffer, short transmissions on VHF would be over before the 800 ever keyed up.

Bottom line, if you have good tower coverage and understand how to use the radio, it will do just fine. Try to get by with some hodgepodge home built patch combining it with an already clustered VHF system, and it will only give you heartburn.

Comment

I am a firefighter in van burren and a dispatcher in kalamazoo. the 800mhz system works great for police and ems. but not to well for fire. the minute you get into a structure you can lose signal. portible coverage is not very good. command might be just outside, but just like a nextel, if you don't have signal, you can't talk to the guy sitting right next to ya. good theroy but not reliable enough. plus radios are 3000+ dollers and 200 dollers per radio per year for service fees. and the state will not allow individuals to get them programed. they have to be uunder the dept. name. soo overall its a good theroy but not very practicle for the fire service.

Comment

Michigan Fire Frequencies

does anyone know the frequency for Ann Arbor Chelsea and Saline, Michigan? or know anywhere i can find them? I have my ham radio license and i wanna lessen to them but cant find em on the air

Comment

yz, go to radioreference.com to find the information you need.

Comment

Originally posted by MFD2500 View Post
                  I am a firefighter in van burren and a dispatcher in kalamazoo. the 800mhz system works great for police and ems. but not to well for fire. the minute you get into a structure you can lose signal. portible coverage is not very good. command might be just outside, but just like a nextel, if you don't have signal, you can't talk to the guy sitting right next to ya.
                  This is why most trunked systems have simplex channels set up for fireground use. Since the range is limited, just a few simplex frequencies will work for an entire county. It's a known problem, and has been for quite some time. If your communications planners don't account for it and acquire more frequencies, they're falling short.

Departments on the edges of an autonomous system (ie, one that is different than their neighbors) do have to rely on patches and "gateways", but I've never run into any delay problems such as have been mentioned.
                  Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X