Open Door Policy - Recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Man on the Beach..........

I'm Confused. But, to help clear the air, here's how PG does business. Anyone can apply to any VFD in PG County to become a Volunteer. The VFD provides the applicant with a package that contains about 7 pages of paperwork. The applicant completes the package, adds 3 current photos and anything that might be added on by the local station, and submits the package to the VFD's membership Chairman. The package then goes to the office of the Board of Fire Commissioners (I am a Commissioner) and is reviewed by the Administrative Assistiant, then sent to the Investigations Section for a background check. If that is OK, then the applicant is notified to schedule a physical exam, that is OK, the applicant becomes a probationary Volunteer.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Woods, sounds like a good plan to me.
      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Hey Becky,

Ya know we are all wondering down here in good ol PG County what the heck you were really thinking? And were being serious! How the heck did you get here? What were you thinking? and why on earth did you ride a bike this damn far!

Secondly what were you going to do once you got here? College maybe? Although I am really curious what were your means of Financial Backing while at the fire house! It does take money to be a live in at most fire houses! And why dosent 33 get an ambo! Thoes are my questions for you becky! Know I have never personally met you but i would be interested in meeting you some time, because the entire county is talking about you and your voyage to PG!

ps... I hope all is well!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Well, Bones 42 - I can say what ever I want. And yes, I have met some people who should not be taking care of others, so you are not the first.

All of Garrett County, Maryland talks about me, too. So it's no surprise, and I'll have to get used to all of PG County, Maryland talking about me.

I had plans, but they fell through. If I had $$$ for the finger prints, I'd send in my PG County application. However, I have learned that you have to find something else to do under certain circumstances. After this semester, I'm going to change my major, so I'll no longer be majoring in Fire Science. I think women have no business in the fire service, at this point.

I don't care about the bike trip to College Park - how many people do you know who would do something like that to go to school and leave home? I'd never do it again. It takes money to do anything in this world. I ain't no city girl, and if I have to move, it would be to some other part of the Appalachian Mountains in a rural area. It was a good experience to meet FFs from the city and to see what the city and suburbs are like.

Hope all is well your way, and the hurricane/tropical storm isn't too bad down your way.

Sincerely,
          Becky

Comment

HUH???

I'm lost by this whole thread!
            Luke

Comment

Dont worry Lutan.. we r all lost
              Proud Member of the Prince Georges County Fire/Ems Dept

Comment

Do you get ****ed when a guy farts at the fire hall?
                HAHAHAHA BEST COMMENT OF THE WEEK (even though it was originally posted over on that other forum last year) I like this guy

I think the firehouse.com chat room was unprofessional
                She posted this Jan. 14/03 ... methinks this has been done here before

and last but certainly not least:

Author: Becky DeWitt Date: 09-29-02 14:37 I wanted to start this topic/thread for those people who have been denied membership by volunteer fire departments. I want to change the way the State of Maryland handles and regulates volunteer fire departments, private non-profit organizations, that accepts public money and operates in a public way. I applied at my local fire department, and my membership was denied. I can't get any reasons as to why my application was denied. I previously served for eight years, and resigned after my mom died. Four years later I desided to go back to the fire service. The Maryland State Fireman's Association says that once you resign, you can legally be denied membership upon re-application. I did a good job as an EMT/FF, and I served my department and county associations in many capacities.Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Becky DeWitt
                Sound familiar one year later?????

MAKEUP AND NIGHTIES??????
                September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd stop in and see what's being said. There are 21 threads and basic membership only accesses two. I guess you have to pay money to get the other 19.

I would like to ask Sheri not to post any more - she gets the two thumbs down. Goes to prove that women have no business in the fire service. Probably just another Stephanie in PG County. Women in the fire service in the city are the worst! New subject - Sheri the lost Canadian.

It's just a dead issue - go find something else to do. Can't everybody get that one?

Sincerely,
                  Center

Comment

I'm still lost...
                    Luke

Comment

open door policy

For the lost, confused, or those who just read these posts...

Suggestions for Bylaws and SOG's

You can develop your own by thinking about the following...

"The membership [organization] shall accept all applications for membership and vote on an applicants' membership continuation following a six month probationary period. If a member in good standing wishes to contest acceptance of an application, said reasons shall be presented in writing to the President. The membership shall have a right to vote on whether or not to reject the applicant based on the member in good standings stated reasons. Reasons could include knowledge of falsification of the application or failure to meet the department's rules on fund raising, meetings, calls, and training."

You don't lose control of your organization and you can include background checks, physical exam, etc. So if you don't meet the criteria, have bad health, and lots of records, don't fit in, probably woln't do a good job, screw up all the time, unattractive, etc. then don't apply. Find something else to do.

Then you don't have to offer any help when people need your help, if you can get a rejection letter - then you can show people or any other documentation you want. The moral of the story is to find something else to do. Stop making posts and getting into trouble.

I thought it was really was cool to look over some fire service related documents recently, ask questions, answer questions, review what happen, give my opinion, etc. Then you realize where you have been, what's been said, and what people do and will do to you, then you know it's time to find something else to do.

Attention firehouse.com - please remove this thread.

Becky DeWitt
                      Kitzmiller, Maryland

Comment

Re: open door policy

Originally posted by DeWitt7
                        I'd never sue my or any fire department. I'd bitch and complain, attend meetings, and request that their public funding be shut off due to gross neglegance, lack of professionalism, and not worthy of public money without an open door policy.

So because you are angry that a department shut you out you would try to deny a community the funding for the very department that protects them??? I have read minutes to the meeting where your motion to deny funding to the FD was denied by council. (Mike, Uniform, Tango, Tango) All I can say is it's a bloody disgrace when someone can make a motion to deny a SERVICE to a community because they weren't "allowed" to play.

I would like to ask Sheri not to post any more - she gets the two thumbs down. Goes to prove that women have no business in the fire service. Probably just another Stephanie in PG County. Women in the fire service in the city are the worst! New subject - Sheri the lost Canadian.
                        BTW, just out of curiosity, how does what Sheri posted have ANYTHING to do with women not being allowed in the fire service???? Might I suggest that you get over your bitterness and dump the chip that you seem to be carrying around on your shoulder. While I agree that there are certain "types" of women that should not be in the fire service (as with any profession, if you can't hold your own, expect preferential treatment or a different set of expectations, or are only there for the men:women ratio etc) a blanket statement should not be made regarding women in the fire service.

Also, if you have issues within your service area then taking them up constructively there is the place to start (trying to get funding yanked is NOT constructive), share your ideas with the people there, don't assume that they can read what is going on in your head.

I have, although, noticed upon reading this post that you have attacked anyone who didn't agree or sympathize with your cause. Wake up, grow up and get over yourself sweetheart, you just might find yourself a happier person. Good luck in your future endeavors.

** If you found this post offensive I'm sorry that you did, however, I find your attacks on those that have made oppository comments offensive**
                        Last edited by PFire23; 10-04-2003, 06:59 PM.
                        To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

WOW ...............I think that detective Sheri finally got it for us .............it appears that she is upset about not getting back on. WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW what along way to get for this waste of time. Miss DeWitt that has to have been some of the most impolite drivel I have ever heard from anyone on these forums. All we asked was for some clairifcation and all you did was ridicule those that wanted to help, which is YOUR choice. I fail to see what Sheri posted was upsetting you, at least we could now understand the deal. I hope you have a nice life, please dont come to Ohio.
                          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

*sings to herself as she skips down the hall "they're coming to take me away haha hehe they're coming to take me away"*
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

So if you don't meet the criteria, have bad health, and lots of records, don't fit in, probably woln't do a good job, screw up all the time, unattractive, etc. then don't apply. Find something else to do.
                              You answered your own question- now move on!
                              Luke

Comment

Re: open door policy

You don't lose control of your organization and you can include background checks, physical exam, etc. So if you don't meet the criteria, have bad health, and lots of records, don't fit in, probably woln't do a good job, screw up all the time, unattractive, etc. then don't apply. Find something else to do.
                                Hmm.

1. Have Bad Health: How many volunteers do you have in your department could stand to lose a pound or two?

2. Don't Fit In: Aren't we all a bunch of misfits anyway?

3. Screw-up all the time: That's fine because we all do it. The main point is: if you keep screwing up and making the same mistakes over-and-over again then that shows you're unwilling or incapable of fixing your mistakes and putting others at risk.

4. Unattractive: What else can i say but see topic 1. I'm not attractive. If it wasn't for the fact that my bank account tends to be closer to $0 than I'd like, you'd think my wife married me for my money.

I honestly believe the people on these forums would like to help without the sarcasm or the remarks (right, guys? Guys?) but your posts are difficult to understand and the attitude that you've given is not conducive to an at-length serious discussion.
                                Last edited by NeilMcD; 10-06-2003, 08:06 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X