Which Academy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efd824 View Post
    Mikey is trying to give you advice, he is just one of those mean old medics aren't ya buddy.....hard ***
    Only when I am sober Brother
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by capt4704 View Post
      The paramagic comment was a little harsh cause we all were emt's once, and I NEVER FORGET THAT.
      I meant to write paramagic students...they were across the hall from us at the same time we had class. They just all seemed really cocky like they knew everything... Thats the only reason I said that, I have nothing against anybody in this field, only the cocky ones.

Maybe I will go to the Elgin Fire Academy then. Sounds like a fun time.

Comment

As a graduate of Elgin's academy, I can say that is a good academy. The instructors are rigid enough to get things done and laid back enough to be human. You have heard correctly, Elgin does not burn much. Live burns are scheduled for the final week of class. Until then, smoke machines do all of the work.

I have many buddies go through Oak Lawn's academy, and they loved it. PT is done daily and they burn a lot. However, if you're close to Elgin, Oak Lawn will be quite a commute.

I have also heard guys talk about Arlington Heights' academy. Mostly good things, very few negative comments.

Southern Kane is a newer academy with brand-new burn facilities. Unlike many academies, their instructors are from all over the Fox Valley: Aurora, Batavia, Gevena, North Aurora, etc. I'm pretty sure they have a part-time academy, too. This will allow you to continue to work while going to school.
        www.southernkane.com

If you have the time and means to go through an academy, I highly recommend it. It's a great experience.

Good luck making a decision.

Comment

[FONT=k"]STAY AWAY FROM SOUTHERN KANE[/FONT] AND YES I KNOW I'M YELLING. That academy is not worth going to and I encourage everyone to boycott them. STORY one of my close friends went there for the firefighter 3 program and because it turned out that they cut corners and did not do all the required practicals, but handed out certificates of completion stating that all objectives where met and they even signed a practical answer key to give to my friend when he requested more documentation along with signing the attestation sheet.(which he found out in a discaplinary interview with his fire chief) who in turn filed charges against him and attempted to have him fired along with slandering him with such accusations as fraud and forgery the academy never admitted any wrong doings on this issue until the OSFM failed them in their audit of their class. As of today my friend is still in debt to the tune of about 6 grand for lawyers so he could keep his job, has a discaplinary file about 12 inches thick from this incident and is still trying to clear his name through out the state because of the damage done by his chief. So if you want to not get trained properly and throw money away to an academy that should not even be operating right now because they did commit FRAUD then go to Southern Kane. BTW Elgin, Arlington, Champagin and McHenry County College have very good programs and you will get trained properly.

Comment

BTW, its southernkane.org ... not .com

Comment

I graduated from Southern Kane. It was a fairly decent academy. As with anything, there is always something bigger and better. Overall I'd rate them a 7/10.

It was nice getting a variety of instructors. We pulled from knowledge of firefighters, lieu's, captains, Dep. Chief's, etc.

I thought that was the coolest part of the academy. The academy isn't there to have you do a ton of burns. It's your building foundation. You have to learn to crawl before you walk and run.

And I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but training smoke is NO WHERE close to real smoke. You don't need smoke to train. Simply putting your nomax over your scba simulates just as well.

Mikey: btw...I don't think you were too hard on him at all.

Comment

Now you gotta actually sit your precious little keister down and hear the music, pal. The firefighters world is a dangerous place. Don't get all bent out of shape thinking it's gonna be easy, and if you're trying to find your way out of the pan, ya just get burned by the fire. No pun intended. My suggestion, think about the tough work ya got ahead of ya... Be a man and quit yer griping, you'll be glad you did. Best luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky625 View Post
                  Now you gotta actually sit your precious little keister down and hear the music, pal. The firefighters world is a dangerous place. Don't get all bent out of shape thinking it's gonna be easy, and if you're trying to find your way out of the pan, ya just get burned by the fire. No pun intended. My suggestion, think about the tough work ya got ahead of ya... Be a man and quit yer griping, you'll be glad you did. Best luck!
                  Sorry to bust your bubble but this thread is old and your bringing **** back from a long time ago. I dont care what you think, I never expected anything to be easy and I have already been through Elgins academy. I just posted this to see which academys are good and im glad that I went to Elgin, it as a good academy. You think firefighting is hard? Come work with me for a day doing landscaping and you will learn how to bust ***.

Comment

Hey, the real world isn't always "easy"... I'm just giving you a little advice from the inside.

Comment

To quote some movie I can't remember the name of... "Ok, boys, calm down....everybody's got a big jimmy..."
                      Landscaping, firefighting, selling insurance, we all work hard...have a little respect...jeez...
                      "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by lauraboczek View Post
                        To quote some movie I can't remember the name of... "Ok, boys, calm down....everybody's got a big jimmy..."
                        Landscaping, firefighting, selling insurance, we all work hard...have a little respect...jeez...
                        Selling insurance...hahaha

im talking about working not an office job.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X