Ice......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice......

Sounds like we have alot of fun headed our way. I don't mind snow a bit..as a matter a fact snow=money. We have once again loaded up the salt trucks and are preparing for a long night. CR i hope you get out of Peoria before this hits you might have to spend the week end in P-town if they aren't ready for this one too... , they do have a new snow storm plan in place, its a new concept....they are going to send trucks out and plow and put down salt. Stay safe everyone and have fun sliding down you highways.

Folks, I have been tracking this storm since a week ago Monday, and back then, I thought something like this could happen. I know that sounds a little "hindsight is 20/20" but nonetheless...
    This will cripple most of Illinois minus the SE portion. Some MAJOR icing will take place, a little farther north than the Dec. 1 storm. Just the same, another two systems will train along the jet stream, thus, bringing a round of snow to finish off the weekend. Right now, 1/2 to 1" of ice is NOT out of the question, neither is 6-12" of snow. Main focus will be north of I-70 all the way to Wisconsin. I believe that the biggest snowfall will be from a Burlington Iowa to Rockford line. Regardless, this storm will demand respect. Be prepared for wrecks, power outages, and simply a mess. But, everything can change for the better quickly, so positive thoughts as well.

Hope this helps...
    BAClair

Comment

We get conflicting forecasts for Washington County. Guess we'll wait and see what happens. I hope the ice doesn't happen for any of us but if it does, I hope we don't get any. Everybody --- stay safe.
      Jack Boczek, Chief
      Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Comment

Hey thats us. Called out at 21:00 got back at 22:30, seems a 10mile strech of I-74 and a like amount of I-80, everyone was out. Best one, from the chatter on the radio, was a semi hanging off a bridge at the 30 on I-80. Nights like that you got to feel for the people in dispatch. 4caster that line you talked about put's us right in the middle, sounds like Sunday/Sundaynight is the best chance. Snow's ok, I agree with efd, = money, but the ice you can have. NOAA at this time is not giving us an amount, but I've heard 4-7"

Comment

i reposted it on the appropriate thread
          Last edited by lilyogi; 01-13-2007, 06:16 PM.
          Lilyogi

Comment

I have had some pretty bad experiences with ice. I would rather have snow then this ice ****.
            IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Looks like this will be a busy night..Erie had just about everyone scrambling earlier. Glad it turned out to be better than initially thought... it took us a long time to even get out to I-88 earlier, who knows how long it would take later tonight.

Be safe out there everyone!!

Comment

Both of my oak trees are sagging under the weight of ice.
                Drove to Peoria today on I 74. No ice to report.
                Came home same way. Little smattering of snow.
                Hopefully, the worst missed us.
                I'll take snow over ice any day.
                What's the weather going to be like when the BEARS beat the Saints?
                Mikey: you must be torn? Bourbon St. vs. Maxwell St.
                CR
                Visit www.iacoj.com
                Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

No contest

DA BEARS ! New Orleans will have to wait til next year.
                  IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Mikey, headed up your way Monday. Have a meeting in Warrenville in the am, after that we have nothing to do until 8am Tuesday. Spending the night in Oak Park. Might head downtown for some r&r and a good meal.....hmmmm.... Wonder if I can turn in a $100 meal for reimbursement?

Comment

Larry if there is one thing that anyone can do in Chicago, it is eating like a champ. Oak Park is great because you are so close to the city. Some of my favorite places in the city are also some of the least expensive. (notice I dont use the word cheap)
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Here Comes Another Shot

Just when we were finishing up with last week's fun, here comes another system. The good news; no ice. The less good news, anywhere from 2-6 inches top to bottom. Most favor a northern emphasis for heavier snows, and maybe some sleet for the south. But, I've always observed that the snows in the 3-6" range always bring the wrecks. So, start the planning for late Saturday into Sunday. Hopefully your runs will happen after football!!!
                        Chat Later
                        BAClair

Comment

Originally posted by 4caster View Post
                          Just when we were finishing up with last week's fun, here comes another system. The good news; no ice. The less good news, anywhere from 2-6 inches top to bottom. Most favor a northern emphasis for heavier snows, and maybe some sleet for the south. But, I've always observed that the snows in the 3-6" range always bring the wrecks. So, start the planning for late Saturday into Sunday. Hopefully your runs will happen after football!!!
                          Chat Later
                          Dammit, BA, you'd better be right this time!

I hate winter. I like the snow, so if I have to suffer the damn cold weather, I want snow, please. Thank you.

Larry, you'll only be 25 miles form me. Be sure to wave when you go by on I-88.
                          Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

Originally posted by trainer View Post
                            Mikey, headed up your way Monday. Have a meeting in Warrenville in the am, after that we have nothing to do until 8am Tuesday. Spending the night in Oak Park. Might head downtown for some r&r and a good meal.....hmmmm.... Wonder if I can turn in a $100 meal for reimbursement?
                            Sure you can.
                            Just not to me.
                            Give it to Doog.
                            He helped make you famous.
                            CR
                            Visit www.iacoj.com
                            Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                            RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefReason View Post
                              Sure you can.

Give it to Doog.