How Do You Even THINK up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Even THINK up...

Well, I thought this was over with the arrest of one and now there are two.
    How does one go about even thinking up something like this?
    I mean; people are caught every day filing claims for money that they aren't entitled to, but when I saw the headlines in the paper yesterday, of course "firefighter" loomed large.
    AND apparently, having a personality disorder doesn't preclude you from getting on a fire department and police department and possessing firearms.
    This is depressing, indeed.
    I want to believe that somehow it's all a big mistake, but...
    Another Illinois Firefighter Accused of Fraud
    Said he was serving overseas.

CHARLES SHEEHAN
    Chicago Tribune

Jan. 7--Dismay and betrayal hit two south suburban communities after a firefighter was charged Saturday with fraudulently claiming to be serving with the U.S. Special Forces in the Middle East.

Until recently, a flag flew over a Lemont fire station to honor Steve Slawinski, 37, of Romeoville, who told colleagues he was stationed in Afghanistan.

His good friend, Lawrence Masa, a lieutenant on the Orland Fire Protection District, also was accused earlier this week of forging military documents and collecting a paycheck from his local department when he was no longer in the service.

Orland Park police said they knew there likely was a second firefighter involved in the scam when the Lemont fire chief approached them with suspicions about one of his own firefighters.

"This has been very difficult for the whole fire district, for the men and women, for myself, for our district trustees," said Lemont Chief Carl Churulo. "Steve had an impeccable record."

Slawinski is charged with felony theft and official misconduct, the same charges Masa faces. Slawinski was held in lieu of $150,000 bail Saturday and ordered to turn over his passport and weapons to Orland Park police. He has been placed on paid administrative leave by the fire department.

Slawinski collected $27,115 from the Lemont Fire Protection District, the difference between what he alleged he earned in the U.S. Special Forces and what he would have earned as a firefighter, said Cook County Assistant State's Atty. Sabra Ebersole.

"In April of 2006, [Slawinski] requested military leave from the Lemont fire district," Ebersole said. "The defendant provided to the fire district a forged document which purported to be a letter from the United States Department of Defense calling him up to active duty in the United States Special Forces."

It was not clear Saturday if Slawinski could face federal charges for submitting fraudulent defense documents.

Slawinski enlisted in the Navy in May 1995 but was discharged in 1996 when he was diagnosed with a personality disorder, Ebersole said in Bond Court in Chicago.

Slawinski and Masa were overseas, investigators said, but they were working together for a private contractor in the Middle East for $63 an hour, and collected pay and benefits from fire departments back home, said Orland Park Police Cmdr. Chuck Doll.

Doll's department is leading the investigation.

The two had worked together at the Westmont Fire Department, said Glenn Bergmark, Lemont fire trustee. Slawinski also was a part-time police officer in Summit and Lemont, prosecutors said.

Slawinski was decorated last year when, as a Lemont police officer, he used CPR and a defibrillator to revive a man who had been jolted by electricity.

"He brought the guy back to life, " said Battalion Chief James Sheldon.

Slawinski endured hardships during his childhood, said friend James Cosgrove, and at one point in his late teens asked if he could live at Cosgrove's house while attending West Leyden High School. He did for three years, Cosgrove said.

"His life at home was really rough, but he worked really hard and never gave up hope," said Cosgrove, who graduated from high school in 1988.

Slawinski helped Cosgrove get a job at Illinois Tool Works in Itasca where they worked together for years, but the two went their separate ways about two years ago, Cosgrove said.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

What do you expect from two SCABS ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
      What do you expect from two SCABS ?
      That was pretty much beneath you, Mike.
      Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

Jay, sometimes the truth just isnt very pretty...Or nice. Where do you think these two met? It wasnt at their career jobs. No sireee, it sure looks like this disgusting plot was hatched from the Division 10 haven for two-timing union "Brothers".
        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Jay, sometimes the truth just isnt very pretty...Or nice. Where do you think these two met? It wasnt at their career jobs. No sireee, it sure looks like this disgusting plot was hatched from the Division 10 haven for two-timing union "Brothers".
          My problem Mike, is with the union Brothers who who can call them scabs when they go to another fire department to work, but think nothing of the thousands of firefighters who work on their days off doing any number of trade jobs. Fill in the blank: roofers, carpenters, concrete finishers, drywallers, electricians, landscapers, the list is endless. All union trades. But these union brothers think nothing of taking a union job from these trades.

These two *******s schemed up a plot. Does this mean all part-time firefighters are scum? I agreed that WFD is the common thread here, and that's probably where this scheme was planned. But I really bristle at this "scab" BS, because it's used pretty loosely. Are union members who volunteer scabs too? If so, that seems to me to be a reversal for you.
          Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

Jay, I have personally expressed my opinion to the chief of said department. He likes the fact he can get quality people on the cheap. Why wouldnt he? Although there are probably a few, I cannot name one VOLUNTEER department in Metro-Chicago. My feelings about two-hatters is no secret. They weaken MY local when it comes to negotiation time. I have no problem with part-time, POC or volunteer firefighters. I am not some kind of "hard-on" when I work with our part time people. They know where I stand. I was a POC for 8 years. It allowed me to get my firefighter II and paramedic. It was a good part of my life. As for union firefighters working trade jobs on their days off, I think it I will leave it up to those trade unions to do something about it. I have enough to worry about as it is. You may not like my opinion. We can agree to disagree. I truly feel that my statement is valid. These guys were in it for themselves. All of it. Violating Article 15 of our internationals constitution and by-laws, scamming their employers, their fellow firefighters, (who put a new roof on the good Lt.'s home) and the citizens they serve. They scammed all of us.
            IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Violating Article 15 of our internationals constitution and by-laws, scamming their employers, their fellow firefighters, (who put a new roof on the good Lt.'s home) and the citizens they serve. They scammed all of us.
              I'll agree with all of this stuff. And they are definitely shyte-bags who need to have the book thrown at them.
              Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

SCAB really wasn't the adjective I was thinking of.
                I was thinking more like MUTT.
                Regardless of their firefighting pedigree, it still shakes the foundation of trust in their communities and the firefighting community as well.
                My guess is that they will be moving BEFORE they go to prison.
                CR
                Visit www.iacoj.com

Comment

Sorry about the hijack Art. These guys really ****ed a lot of us off.
                  IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Sorry about the hijack Art. These guys really ****ed a lot of us off.
                    And rightfully so, Mikey.
                    If they are convicted of the federal charges, I take it that they will not be able to ever serve again?
                    And just out of curiousity, will the union provide these two with counsel?
                    Or will they be on their own?
                    I mean; it looks like they can afford to pay for their own representation.
                    Just curious.
                    CR
                    Visit www.iacoj.com

Comment

As a rule the union will not be involved in any aspect of their criminal defense or the costs involved with said defense. I imagine there may be some involvement at some level in regards to their seperation from service. I dont think the union can do much or even want to except what is required through duty of fair representation. I cant speak for the presidents from Orland or Lemont but the union is not there to protect screw ups. It is there to see that the screw ups are treated fairly.... Even when you find yourself personally disgusted by the screw ups.
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

If these guys are convicted Federally, thats 80 % time that will be served. Although everyone is presumed innocent, none of us fell off the turnip truck. Some stupid Chicago Alderman (an oxymoron) just got pinched for taking a $5,000 bribe. She has quite a past. Is being that hard up for a quick buck worth going to prison for ? I guess for some it is.
                        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

If these guys are convicted Federally, thats 80 % time that will be served. Although everyone is presumed innocent, none of us fell off the turnip truck. Some stupid Chicago Alderman (an oxymoron) just got pinched for taking a $5,000 bribe. She has quite a past. Is being that hard up for a quick buck worth going to prison for ? I guess for some it is.
                          Mike i think it may be a little redundant to call a chicago alderman stupid, i think with the title stupidity is assumed. I can't bad mouth the city too much though because I am traveling there tomorrow (thursday the 11th).
                          "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighterox View Post
                            Mike i think it may be a little redundant to call a chicago alderman stupid, i think with the title stupidity is assumed. I can't bad mouth the city too much though because I am traveling there tomorrow (thursday the 11th).
                            What are you; stupid?
                            CR
                            Visit www.iacoj.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefReason View Post
                              What are you; stupid?
                              CR
                              No actually me and some friends are going to the Jerry Springer show. lol.
                              "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X