Returning to Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Illinois

Hello, I'm 17 years old (about to be 18) and right now I live in South Florida. However, I grew up living in Woodridge for 15 years and have always dreamed since I was a little kid of joining the Chicago Fire Department. To work with the CFD is a dream and goal that I am planning to go as far as needed to accomplish and make a reality. But, I do realize that the next testing for them won't be for a few more years and even then it could be a while before getting hired by them so I plan on looking at other departments in the area and try getting hired there as well. Now here's my question, the community college here offers an EMT-B course, Paramedic course, and has a Fire Academy that I would try to go to. Let's say I go and pass the EMT and Paramedic courses, would those certifications be accepted back there in Illinois or would I need to retake all the classes as well?

Another question that I have is a general question about paramedics and how it would affect becoming a firefighter. Do they have different testing times then the FF exams and if I became a paramedic for a department, would I be able to transfer over and become a FF in the same department or are the two independent from each other and being a paramedic doesn't really have any effect on becoming a FF?

Lastly, how are jobs looking up there at the moment? Does it seem like departments are hiring people or has it been pretty slow lately?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated thanks a lot.

If you take the EMT/Paramedic test in Florida make sure you take the national registry class and test. National Registry will allow you to go to another state as an EMT/Paramedic without having to retake the state test. National Resistry you will just have to go to the state or EMS system and request a license for that state. Many fire dept. require you to become a Paramedic as part of your employment. Most of the time you play a duel role as FF/EMTP. Some dept. you do one or the other on certain shifts.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X