Monsoon season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsoon season

Looks like we dodged a bullet in my district north of Rockford, but Rockford is currently going house to house in some areas by boat due to extensive flooding. Dozens of rescues of occupants trapped in vehicles in water, lots of flooding (in areas that one wouldn't normally associate with flooding), etc. Main thoroughfares are down to one lane, and in my opinion shouldn't be driven through with low vehicles, many are also totally flooded.

Cherry Valley has also been very busy. I don't think we've turned a wheel on anything related to the storms/rain.

I know at least a couple of rigs have been staffed with call back personnel, and mutual aid boats are helping with door to door searches. I've heard reports of possible building collapses, but can't verify.

Hope the rain stops, as reports indicate that some storm detention areas are near capacity - which could easily result in more flooding if more rains comes.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Glad to hear that you haven't been too busy. How is the area around Alpine Station? My parents have been out of town and have no idea what they are coming home too? Just live two stop lights up on Alpine from the station. Hopefully things will start drying out and get back to normal.
    People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Joel:

I was not called back to work last evening, but I am on shift today. The city is a mess just east of downtown in the Charles and 20th Street area. We spent the day going door to door making sure that there were no immediate collapse hazards. I witnessed at least a half dozen homes that had the foundation "cave in". Hundreds of people were rescued by FF's, Police, and neighbors. I spoke with one resident that used his boat with a trolling motor to rescue dozens before our boats arrived. It is pretty unbelievable the damage we saw today. It reminded me of the flooding witnessed last year by Hurricane Katrina. The city is lucky that no one was injured during the storm. There were at least two tornado spottings in the city, one down by the airport and one at Station #5, (East State and Trainer Rd., which was witnessed by a Fire Lt. My wife and her sister were in Hobby Lobby on that corner while the tornado was spotted. I am thankful that no one was injured. Well, I better go, I need to finish cooking before I get on the ambo.

Take care,

rfd599
      www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Comment

My cousin called me yesterday afternoon to say that they were under a tornado warning. I logged onto WIRF's website and saw the warning message, so I decided to look at their webcams. I noticed what appeared to be a wall cloud on the south side of town, west of Cherryvale mall. I became really worried because my cousin works at that mall and I also didn't want the twister to make it into town.

Last night I talked to my uncle and he said that him and some family members were on that side of town yesterday when the tornado was spoted. He said that it rained pretty hard, but I had no idea. I was browsing the RRStar's website a little while ago and I saw some pictures from the flood. Holy crapola, I hope that everyone is ok.
        Never forget our fallen brothers and sisters.

You know you're a female firefighter when you don't worry about your butt looking too big in your bunker pants.

Comment

That was quite a storm up there. Today while in the store, the tornado sirens were activated. Lo and behold I got to see several funnel clouds. Turns out they were "cold air" funnel clouds and are generally harmless. But it was kind of interesting nonetheless.
          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by firebugfd105
            Glad to hear that you haven't been too busy. How is the area around Alpine Station? My parents have been out of town and have no idea what they are coming home too? Just live two stop lights up on Alpine from the station. Hopefully things will start drying out and get back to normal.
            Every indication was that the area on the north side of town (near Alpine station) was okay. The heaviest hit areas were to the south and east.

We live by Station 5 and like an idiot, I forced the wife and kids into the basement and watched what I thought was the funnel cloud take it's time heading north.
            "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X