NIMS Compliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIMS Compliance

I have been told that Il has passed a state law that made all dept's NIMS compliant. Supposedly there is a form that can be downloaded from IEMA's site to fill out and send somewhere to confirm compliance. I'm unable to locate any info on this on IEMA or FEMA's site. Does anybody have any info on this ??

I'm not from IL, but what kind of law could make you NIMS compliant? There's a bunch of things required to be NIMS compliant and a lot of them have nothing to do with laws. I'd be curious and skeptical.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Bones I would guess that he is confused by the "Law" as there is none.
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

I'd guess you should be thinking there is a law that says departments have to be NIMS compliant, not one that makes us compliant. Like Bones said, there's a bunch of things to do to be compliant and we must do them. It's only getting worse, too, as in the coming months we'll have more NIMS classes to take to keep the feds happy.
        Jack Boczek, Chief
        Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Comment

The Region 8 IEMA office advised that this was only in effect last year. So this may have been a temporary measure to extend a deadline, maybe.

Comment

I don't think it's a law per se but someone on the your dept. has to be certified in the NIMS IS700 course by the year 2007 to be eligible for any Federal funding. You can register and take that course online.

Comment

Originally posted by ntmd8r38
              I don't think it's a law per se but someone on the your dept. has to be certified in the NIMS IS700 course by the year 2007 to be eligible for any Federal funding. You can register and take that course online.
              And it's not just fire departments. It's your city government, your township government, police, fire, EMS, schools, your county government, your county cops.
              Did I miss anyone?
              CR
              Visit www.iacoj.com
              Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
              RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Being NIMS Compliant goes well beyond taking the IS700 course on-line. First of all, your dept., city, county, whatever must formally adopt (in writing) NIMS. Then, anyone that has anything to do with mitigating any kind of hazard must have the on-line IS700 course. It looks like all FF must also have the ICS100 & 200 courses as well (which you may take on-line also). The ones on your dept. that will be in the position of IC will also have to have ICS300 & 400 (which must be in a classroom). This is the way that I understand it. If anyone else has their interpretation, please come forward.
                Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Did I miss anyone?
                  Public works.
                  Tow truck operators that respond to emergency incidents to remove vehicles.
                  Tom, Dick, and yes even Harry.
                  "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT
                    Being NIMS Compliant goes well beyond taking the IS700 course on-line. First of all, your dept., city, county, whatever must formally adopt (in writing) NIMS. Then, anyone that has anything to do with mitigating any kind of hazard must have the on-line IS700 course. It looks like all FF must also have the ICS100 & 200 courses as well (which you may take on-line also). The ones on your dept. that will be in the position of IC will also have to have ICS300 & 400 (which must be in a classroom). This is the way that I understand it. If anyone else has their interpretation, please come forward.
                    looks to me like you can take 300 and 400 online

http://www.nimsonline.com/ics_training/

Comment

The materials for ICS-300 and 400 are online, but I do not think you can take the course online. My understanding is that ICS-300 is a 3-day class and ICS-400 is 2 days.

There are three versions of ICS 300 and 400;
                      National Fire Academy; designed for operational responders
                      Emergency Management Institute; designed for emergency management and other responders.
                      National Wildfire Coordinating Group; designed for wildland incidents

I believe the differences are in the exercises and scenarios used.

The NFA uses the course designations of H-465 for the ICS-300 class and H-467 for the ICS-400 class.

I'm glad that NIMS has brought this all together and cleared up any confusion over course numbering by using common terminology to describe like resources (or classes)
                      -------------------
                      "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                      -----------------------------------------------
                      Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

My Bad Ken, you're right,,you can download the text for the course but thats it. I did the 700,100 & 200 online but thats about all you can do.

# IS 100 (ICS 100) is available as an on-line or classroom delivered course. This course is currently available in Law Enforcement and Public Works specific versions, other discipline specific versions become available later.
                        # IS 200 (ICS 200) is available as on on-line or classroom delivered course. Discipline specific courses will be added later.
                        # G 300 (ICS 300) is available as a non-resident course.
                        # G 400 (ICS 400) is available as a non-resident course.

Comment

I wrote the NIMS Integration Center (and CCd my US Representative and one of my Senators) and asked:

There is much confusion regarding just what NIMS compliance consists of. The information provided on the FEMA web site is not easily deciphered into real world situations. The chain of command in our department is as follows:

Chief
                          Assistant Chief
                          Captain
                          Lieutenant
                          Firefighter
                          Probationary Firefighter

Based on the FEMA requirements below, where would each of the levels of the chain of command in our department fall regarding their required level of NIMS training in order to be compliant with NIMS for FY06?

I received the following reply (also CCd to my US Representative and one of my Senators):

Chief,
                          Thank you for contacting the NIMS Integration Center.
                          The information is purposefully provided in broad terms so that you can overlay it onto your chain of command and make your training decisions accordingly.
                          If I may suggest a possible training regimen that is based on your chain of command:
                          Entry Level
                          .. FEMA IS-700: NIMS, An Introduction
                          .. ICS-100: Introduction to ICS or equivalent

Firefighter
                          Probationary Firefighter

First Line, Single Resource, Field Supervisors
                          .. IS-700, ICS-100 and ICS-200: Basic ICS or its equivalent
                          Lieutenant

Middle Management: Strike Team Leaders, Division Supervisors, EOC Staff, etc.
                          .. IS-700, IS-800 NRP, ICS-100, ICS-200 and in FY07, ICS-300
                          Captain

Command and General Staff; Area, Emergency and EOC Managers
                          .. IS-700, IS-800, ICS-100, ICS-200 and in FY07, ICS-300 and ICS-400
                          Chief
                          Assistant Chief

IS-800 is meant for those who will interface with Federal individuals during a multi-jurisdiction, multi-agency, multi-discipline response scenario.
                          And do not be afraid to train up too. A Captain may be called upon to assume a role in the step above him/her and so too might a Lieutenant.
                          The bottomline is communication. How can emergency professionals from all over the county, State and nation come together and seamlessly, efficiently and effectively respond to the aforementioned response scenario? NIMS and its inherent ICS component provide this common command structure and response doctrine.
                          All FY06 courses can be taken online. They are located at: http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp For the ICS-300 and 400 courses that are necessary for FY07 compliance, they are handled through each State. Contact your State Emergency Management Agency to find out where and when these courses will be available.
                          I hope I have answered your questions. Please feel free to contact me again if you have more NIMS-related questions or concerns.
                          Regards,
                          Paul F. Ganem
                          NIMS Integration Center
                          What's NEW at the NIC: www.fema.gov/nims

Comment

Great info, Thanks!

Comment

What percentage?

I am usually up on this stuff, but I can't seem to find what percentage of our members have to be NIMS compliant (at least 100 and 700) by the end of September. Anyone have the right answer? I have 4 new recruits that can not fit the NIMS training in just yet. They are just beginning their introduction to the department. Does my question even make sense?
                              Glenn Rainey
                              Colington Fire Department
                              Dare County, North Carolina
                              The Outer Banks

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader